The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

General Discussion
Prev 1 25 26 27 208 Next
10/06/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Hascall
10/05/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Jawah
Blizz: People would pay to race change their characters to High Elves. Or people would make High Elves and boost them. And on top of either of those, they would have to purchase WoW time to play their High Elves. It's guaranteed money either way, so why not just give the playerbase what they want?
I want it w/o three weeks of grinding rep, please.

It would probably require silver covenant rep. Luckily i had no life back in the wotlk days lol
After reading my 1 millionth Helves thread I have decided what it will take to get me on the Helf Train.

Armor to look exactly like it does on Belf/Velf.
A 10% or greater bonus to rep.
Available to be a Paladin and a Death Knight.

Make this happen and I'll REEEEEEEE! outside Blizz HQ with the rest of you.
10/06/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Heliwyr
10/06/2018 01:53 AMPosted by Arisran

That's fantastic. I hope they increase the cap so another thread doesn't have to be made. I'm glad the devs at least enjoy the idea of discussing it.

This exactly. The anti high elf side keeps reporting the smaller threads to the point where they get deleted. Ive been hoping for a new megathread so we can actually discuss this without interruption of trolls. In the end, thats all we are here to do, discuss it. Thats how classic wow became a thing. Most people will say blizzard doesnt listen to their player base, they do. The problem is they too need to try and create something for everyone. Its a tedious and meticulous operation and it takes time. In the mean time we just need to continue to discuss it.

Those threads got deleted because both sides refused to play nice with one another and people were just spam bumping it over and over again to keep it on the front page. That's the prime reason these threads cap as fast as they do. You can whine and complain and play victim all you like, but let's face it, if it wasn't for the so called "anti's" this thread would barely have gotten past 5 pages.
10/06/2018 08:20 AMPosted by Jaréth
After reading my 1 millionth Helves thread I have decided what it will take to get me on the Helf Train.

Armor to look exactly like it does on Belf/Velf.
A 10% or greater bonus to rep.
Available to be a Paladin and a Death Knight.

Make this happen and I'll REEEEEEEE! outside Blizz HQ with the rest of you.

I think if a high elf was a death knight they would have more standing ground with sylvanas than anyone else. I doubt death knight would be a playable race for high elves because of this. Koltira as an example. Paladin makes sense because some trained with the paladins before the third war. Increased rep doesnt seem like a good thing for their race as people still misidentify high elves as blood elves. People are weary of elves. It just doesnt make sense for them to get increased rep with people who dont fully trust them.
Certainly playable
Warrior
Paladin
Hunter
Priest
Mage
Monk

Unlikely
Rogue
Warlock

Highly Unlikely
Death Knight
Shaman
Druid
Demon Hunter
10/06/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Edard
Certainly playable
Warrior
Paladin
Hunter
Priest
Mage
Monk

Unlikely
Rogue
Warlock

Highly Unlikely
Death Knight
Shaman
Druid
Demon Hunter

Agree heavily on this. Im positive we can move warlock to highly unlikely though. Blood elves only became warlocks after the addition of their new power source. Rogue is the one thats very iffy. But because blood elves are able to be them it seems like high elves were able to be this before the splinter. However, because the majority of high elves seen are warriors, mages, hunters, or priest we dont see them as being the sneaky backstabby types. Very tough debate on that one.
Monk and Rogue should be swapped
10/06/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Lydinie
10/06/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Heliwyr

This exactly. The anti high elf side keeps reporting the smaller threads to the point where they get deleted. Ive been hoping for a new megathread so we can actually discuss this without interruption of trolls. In the end, thats all we are here to do, discuss it. Thats how classic wow became a thing. Most people will say blizzard doesnt listen to their player base, they do. The problem is they too need to try and create something for everyone. Its a tedious and meticulous operation and it takes time. In the mean time we just need to continue to discuss it.

Those threads got deleted because both sides refused to play nice with one another and people were just spam bumping it over and over again to keep it on the front page. That's the prime reason these threads cap as fast as they do. You can whine and complain and play victim all you like, but let's face it, if it wasn't for the so called "anti's" this thread would barely have gotten past 5 pages.
Then it is nice to see that the discussion happening this time around is a bit more tempered and not focused on attacking each other. At least that's what the last few pages have looked like.

I'm sure the beginning of the thread has the typical "omg not another high elf thread" shriekers per usual.

It really is best for both parties to pretty much express their own wants and interests. Blizzard gets the last say anyway.

Also it's clear Blizzard is dedicating a certain motif to Blood Elves that they aren't dedicating to High Elves. Therefore, hopefully we start to see some natural progression to the High Elves Alliance have and I think if we do get some kind of Silvermoon Warfront then it will naturally lead to more development/progression for Alliance High Elves. There has been too many recent callbacks to Blood Elves coming back into the Alliance for it not to be a pursued story thread imo.

I think it's probably going to be a very slow process for High Elves to get added into the game, if they even are going to be added.

I am on agreement with any of those players that say it isn't enough what the High Elves have done so far. There needs to be more happening with them, I wonder if Blizzard wants to take them in a more unique direction than they are already right now.

Anyways, just a bunch of musings, it's peculiar that High Elves are still being showcased among Alliance even after the High Elf answer by Ion. There's more High Elf representation in BFA than there was in WoD for example, so if they truly wanted to brush High Elves aside then the repping in BFA wouldn't have occurred.
10/06/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Thagh
10/06/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Lydinie

Then it is nice to see that the discussion happening this time around is a bit more tempered and not focused on attacking each other. At least that's what the last few pages have looked like.

I'm sure the beginning of the thread has the typical "omg not another high elf thread" shriekers per usual.

It really is best for both parties to pretty much express their own wants and interests. Blizzard gets the last say anyway.

Also it's clear Blizzard is dedicating a certain motif to Blood Elves that they aren't dedicating to High Elves. Therefore, hopefully we start to see some natural progression to the High Elves Alliance have and I think if we do get some kind of Silvermoon Warfront then it will naturally lead to more development/progression for Alliance High Elves. There has been too many recent callbacks to Blood Elves coming back into the Alliance for it not to be a pursued story thread imo.

I think it's probably going to be a very slow process for High Elves to get added into the game, if they even are going to be added.

I am on agreement with any of those players that say it isn't enough what the High Elves have done so far. There needs to be more happening with them, I wonder if Blizzard wants to take them in a more unique direction than they are already right now.

Anyways, just a bunch of musings, it's peculiar that High Elves are still being showcased among Alliance even after the High Elf answer by Ion. There's more High Elf representation in BFA than there was in WoD for example, so if they truly wanted to brush High Elves aside then the repping in BFA wouldn't have occurred.

Yeah I think the thing that is a bit frustrating is that they keep adding High Elves to a lot of places among the Alliance and keep putting them in the spotlight.

Then when people want to play them they are like "OMG GO PLAY HORDE!"

I don't get why not give your paying customers what they want? Seems like a good business model to me.
Certainly playable
Warrior
Paladin
Hunter
Priest
Mage
Monk

Unlikely
Rogue
Warlock

Highly Unlikely
Death Knight
Shaman
Druid
Demon Hunter

I agree with the, 'Certainly Playable,' list. The Unlikely list I disagree with on Rogue, that to me seems like it'd be in the, 'Certainly Playable,' list. I'd put Druid and Shaman onto the Unlikely List, and then change 'Highly Unlikely,' to, 'Impossible,' and put down Death Knight, Demon Hunter, and Warlock.
10/06/2018 04:17 PMPosted by Alurna
Certainly playable
Warrior
Paladin
Hunter
Priest
Mage
Monk

Unlikely
Rogue
Warlock

Highly Unlikely
Death Knight
Shaman
Druid
Demon Hunter

I agree with the, 'Certainly Playable,' list. The Unlikely list I disagree with on Rogue, that to me seems like it'd be in the, 'Certainly Playable,' list. I'd put Druid and Shaman onto the Unlikely List, and then change 'Highly Unlikely,' to, 'Impossible,' and put down Death Knight, Demon Hunter, and Warlock.

I'd straight up say no to druids. Theres a reason high elves were banished from the night elf home land. They wanted to use the arcane rather than the norm of druidism. In a way, shamanism and druidism share a common ground of homage to the "earthy entity." Shamans magic doesnt stem from the divine or the arcane. Since high elves, in a way, didnt want to pay this homage to the earth, it would feel out of place to allow them to be shamans as well.

Rogues how ever are tricky. Elves are the more noble race. We have this picture of an elite race who doesnt adhere to the dark arts. That's why we instantly rule out death, necromancy, plagues, and fel. Rogues however are known to skirt the edge of the dark arts. Theres a belief that subtlety rogues use shadow magic to perform their abilities. That being said, blood elves can be rogues. Blood elves and high elves both lived in the same cities and lodges. This tells me rogues of the blood elves were once rogues of the high elves. This means high elves were potentially rogues before the scourge destroyed silvermoon.

That's why rogue is up in the air for me. I see both sides of it and not convinced 100% either way. But I dont care if rogue is allowed or not for high elves.
10/06/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Heliwyr
I'd straight up say no to druids. Theres a reason high elves were banished from the night elf home land. They wanted to use the arcane rather than the norm of druidism.

Despite this there is clear evidence that the High Elves maintained a deep respect for nature. The presence of the treants in Quel'Thalas is somewhat a testament to this. Under the assumption that the High Elves have fostered improving relations with the Kaldorei (Vereesa was a guest of honor at Tyrande and Malfurion's wedding, and we've seen the Sentinels and Silver Covenant working together at Suramar), it doesn't seem unlikely that some High Elves might have been trained in the ways of Druidism. It'd certainly help set them apart from the Blood Elves.

Since high elves, in a way, didnt want to pay this homage to the earth, it would feel out of place to allow them to be shamans as well.

Let's be honest, if, 'paying homage to the earth,' were a requirement for Shamanism, then the Goblins never would've had it as a class option. The High Elves have a strong friendship with the Wildhammer Dwarves. It doesn't seem unlikely that they would have shared the ways of Shamanism with the High Elves in their time of need. Likewise, there's also the Nobundo route of sorts. The Draenei aren't much different from High Elves as it is. A race with a focus on the Light and Magic, and we see them grasping Shamanism quite readily.

That's why rogue is up in the air for me. I see both sides of it and not convinced 100% either way. But I dont care if rogue is allowed or not for high elves.

The Quel'Danil Lodge High Elves are more or less Rogues. They seem to use Eviscerate. Rogue is a class that works well as part of the Ranger aesthetic.
As always, here I am to fully support High Elves as a playable race for the Alliance. ♥
The presence of the treants in Quel'Thalas is somewhat a testament to this.

The arcane is what I believe allows these treants to live. The Well of Eternity was a power source for all elves. I assume treants were around back then too due to night elves being druids. The sunwell was created to mimic the power of the well of eternity using arcane as its power. Arcane fuels a lot of the inanimate objects in Quel'Thalas. I will agree to the idea that Elves had a high respect for nature. Theres a reason they have Quel'Thalas in an eternal spring. But it dont believe its because they are druidic enough in spiritual nature to be druids. We would see blood elves as druids if this were the case. I do like your idea that the easing situation between high elves and night elves can lead to druid teachings being spread to high elves. Im not 100% convinced this is enough to say that they are but im open to it now.

Let's be honest, if, 'paying homage to the earth,' were a requirement for Shamanism, then the Goblins never would've had it as a class option. The High Elves have a strong friendship with the Wildhammer Dwarves. It doesn't seem unlikely that they would have shared the ways of Shamanism with the High Elves in their time of need. Likewise, there's also the Nobundo route of sorts. The Draenei aren't much different from High Elves as it is. A race with a focus on the Light and Magic, and we see them grasping Shamanism quite readily.

Ill concede to you on this one. Shamanism does seem like something that can be learned. And you gave examples! Kudos.

10/06/2018 05:25 PMPosted by Alurna
The Quel'Danil Lodge High Elves are more or less Rogues. They seem to use Eviscerate. Rogue is a class that works well as part of the Ranger aesthetic.

Like I said, I believe high elves could be rogues. What makes me weary is that the darker side of the class is something that wouldn't be something I see an elf aligning to. Eviscerate is also an outlaw ability. It used to be called combat but is now outlaw. Its been confirmed high elves are skilled swordsmen. So that is how i see the elves that use Eviscerate. Anyone could be a pirate, scallywag, footpad, bandit, highwayman etc. without using poisons or shadow power. Unfortunately, Rogues are all aspects of that. Does the one spec of being a rogue justify them the ability to align with the darker side of being a rogue? Thats why im up in the air about it. Again, if they are rogues, i dont mind. If they arent, i dont mind either.
10/06/2018 05:54 PMPosted by Heliwyr
The arcane is what I believe allows these treants to live.

We don't have any evidence to support this, and given that the Treants of Quel'Thalas are both sentient and lack any notable signs of arcane influence (see, Ancients of the Arcane or the treants of Crystalsong Forest as examples), I don't think this is the case. What's more, we tend to see Treants in places that have significant druidic presence. There were no treants in the Blasted Lands prior to Cataclysm, for example, and after the Worgen arrived and a Druid tried to regrow the Black Morass, we saw Treants appear. What's more, in the Caverns of Time dungeon, Black Morass, we DIDN'T see Treants there in the past.

I don't believe the presence of Treants is conclusive evidence, but I think it's enough to state the High Elves had a strong connection to nature. The High Elves weren't exiled for refusing to practice Druidism. Druidism was never made taboo in Quel'dorei society the way arcane magic was with Night Elves.

Ill concede to you on this one. Shamanism does seem like something that can be learned. And you gave examples! Kudos.

Personally I find the idea of High Elven Shamans to be far more likely than High Elven Druids just because of their connection to the Wildhammers. It'd also allow playable High Elves to bring something unique as far as elves go; Elven Shamans.

I just think Druid could make for an interesting option, especially as the Alliance could use another Druid race. They've got the right build to even use a modified Arrakoa model for Moonkin form the way the Zandalari currently do. I think they could bring quite a bit to the class, even if Shaman seems the class to better distinguish them.

Both classes, however, do highlight a focal point of their lore, which is that the High Elves, as per Ion's own words, have integrated into other cultures and societies in the Alliance. Either or both of these classes helps to emphasize the difference between High Elves and Blood Elves; political. It goes a step further, however, by making it evident how the High Elves have benefited from their allies.

Again, if they are rogues, i dont mind. If they arent, i dont mind either.

Personally I can't say I mind either way myself. We have seen a High Elf pirate before though.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Captain_Thalo%27thas_Brightsun
see, Ancients of the Arcane or the treants of Crystalsong Forest as examples

I was totally going to use this as an example! lol..

I am open to high elves being druids. It would have to be something more recent in their history though since we dont see blood elf druids. I would sort of need to see something in the lore point to this direction for me to actually accept it fully though.

You talked about adding a new druid race to the alliance and im all there for that. I feel like before BfA is over we will see maybe two more allied races for horde and alliance. I have high hopes that with the outcry for high elves we will get that and im super hoping for the arrakoa. That seems like a race that could definitely be druids, shamans, warlocks, rogues etc.

The only problem is i dont think ive ever seen a female one? Maybe ill look that up here in a min to check that validity of that. Its sort of the same issue for ogres on horde. But do we necessarily need female counterparts for certain races?

10/06/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Alurna
Personally I can't say I mind either way myself. We have seen a High Elf pirate before though.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Captain_Thalo%27thas_Brightsun

This was exactly my point about anyone being able to be on the lines of an outlaw/combat rogue sort of person. No one knows the abilities that captain has but i can guess itll be similar to those elves at the lodge you mentioned.
I want High Elf shamans. Perhaps they looked to the elements after being cutoff from the Sunwell.
I didn't realize there was an active Mega Thread for High Elves, bully!

I support playable High Elves and hope that they see the light of day some day!
So how would High Elves be different from just being alliance blood elves?
10/06/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Tunkaningan
10/05/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Jawah
Blizz: People would pay to race change their characters to High Elves. Or people would make High Elves and boost them. And on top of either of those, they would have to purchase WoW time to play their High Elves. It's guaranteed money either way, so why not just give the playerbase what they want?

Because i'd hope Blizzard has a bit more integrity than just chasing dollars at the cost of destroying their game.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/368524924521938945/498358498716024842/scuse.jpg

You think adding a lore-friendly, intensely-requested, already-existing-as-NPCs race would "destroy their game"?