Why do people want to play Classic?

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 20 21 22 Next
Firstly, I do not believe that Vanilla Veterans will find Classic tedious and get bored and leave the game.

All those aspects that the OP remembers as a struggle I found, well, charming...like watching a hyperactive boy discover his first 2,000 piece Lego set.

Those aspects that other players found tedious made the world in the World of Warcraft feel like a world.

WoW gave me permission to play and pretend as an adult. We could all sit down in the local community college library and read Huzinga’s !@#$ Ludens, that is Playing Man, if we need philosophical or sociological historical reasons for why (proported) grown ups need to play; or we could consider that the French see genius as childhood extended by the imagination, or I could just confess that WoW let me take a break from professional creativity to plain and simply Go Play.

I want Classic because I want to go play again...
Funny, the Forum =bleeped= the Latin word for “man”, lol
09/28/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Margherita
I've read most of this thread and a lot of reasons people want is something Blizzard simply cannot deliver:

The community back there.

People can experience vanilla's graphics (ugh), lack of visual customization, talent trees back, the grind of them all back, but they will not be able to experience the community back there, because it will be composed by the same toxic people that habitate WoW atm.

WoW has always had toxic people.

09/28/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Drtotemz
Classic WoW is going to be a success. However, I'm not excited for it. I'm questioning if people really understand what playing Vanilla WoW will entail. I played Vanilla, I had fun, I prefer the current game. Classic has so many limitations that Blizzard fixed due to community feedback and playing the game themself.

If we are in fact getting real Classic WoW, here is what you can look forward to:

In raids, the only tanks are warriors, and if you're class can heal, you're a healer and only a healer.

You will run out of mana, only the Alliance can have paladins, only the Horde can have shaman.

There will be no flying, there will be no Arena, there will be no mythic/+.

There will be no heirlooms, your hearthstone will have a 1 hour cooldown.

There is no diminishing returns on CC in PvP. PvP Trinkets were unique to each class and didn't remove all impairing effects.

Itemization is poorly planned, limited, and often times outright doesn't make sense.

I don't think we're actually getting Classic. We're going to get a modernized version of Vanilla WoW with QoL improvements and balance tuning.

Having said all of this. I'm still going to buy it.

The things that you listed as "problems" are actually good things.
09/29/2018 04:08 AMPosted by Milarepa
09/28/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Margherita
I've read most of this thread and a lot of reasons people want is something Blizzard simply cannot deliver:

The community back there.

People can experience vanilla's graphics (ugh), lack of visual customization, talent trees back, the grind of them all back, but they will not be able to experience the community back there, because it will be composed by the same toxic people that habitate WoW atm.

WoW has always had toxic people.

09/28/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Drtotemz
Classic WoW is going to be a success. However, I'm not excited for it. I'm questioning if people really understand what playing Vanilla WoW will entail. I played Vanilla, I had fun, I prefer the current game. Classic has so many limitations that Blizzard fixed due to community feedback and playing the game themself.

If we are in fact getting real Classic WoW, here is what you can look forward to:

In raids, the only tanks are warriors, and if you're class can heal, you're a healer and only a healer.

You will run out of mana, only the Alliance can have paladins, only the Horde can have shaman.

There will be no flying, there will be no Arena, there will be no mythic/+.

There will be no heirlooms, your hearthstone will have a 1 hour cooldown.

There is no diminishing returns on CC in PvP. PvP Trinkets were unique to each class and didn't remove all impairing effects.

Itemization is poorly planned, limited, and often times outright doesn't make sense.

I don't think we're actually getting Classic. We're going to get a modernized version of Vanilla WoW with QoL improvements and balance tuning.

Having said all of this. I'm still going to buy it.

The things that you listed as "problems" are actually good things.
This is what makes me laugh. People list these "problems" as if we don't know about them, but they are essential to the RPG feel of Vanilla. Another thing people don't understand is Vanilla was absolutely massive and addicting, yeah the game didn't peak in subscribers until Wrath but if Vanilla had never been as good as it was WoW would have not been successful. It's like if they tried to release BFA as an entirely new MMO, it would have belly flopped so hard. A brand name can only get you so far.
09/27/2018 08:47 PMPosted by Juanfiles
more free-form. Today we have too many systems in the game to force the player into a narrow path

09/27/2018 08:47 PMPosted by Juanfiles
09/27/2018 07:49 PMPosted by Coniferous
This is complete and utter nonsense. I just don't like the modern game.

Then why don't you try and ask Blizzard to fix the game? Why instead, all the "vanilla fans" only asks for a carbon copy of the old game?

Because, even if you geniunely like the old game better, the problem still persists that the content is finite, and you can only do the same 4 raids so many times before you can't even look at them anymore.

Obviously you gonna try and find a plausible excuse... but "i just like the old game, i can play it forever and never get bored" is not a real answer, nor a solution.

I like vanilla too. Some of my favorite wow memories are from that period of time. But no matter how good, or even "better" the game was... I already played that content to exhaustion. I been playing since 2004. And if i were to log into a vanilla realm today, i could play it with my eyes closed. I wouldn't even need to read the tittle of the quest, just got to the npc, click accept and go do it. I'd be bored in a few hours... Because is the same old same old. How many times can you read your favorite book, before realize you ain't reading no more, that you are just pulling from your memory what it says in the next page, and realize you are uninterested because you know how it ends?

I know what was better from vanilla, i wish they change the focus of the current game towards that, not that they just make a frozen version of that old game and lock me in there... that be freaking boring.

Vanilla was better, because it wasn't a rush. Because it was more free-form. Today we have too many systems in the game to force the player into a narrow path towards the end. And they put way too many quests and enemies too close, trying to cover every inch of the map with them... That is what's wrong with retail. But other then that, the games looks better, classes play better, raids and dungeons are more fun, more deep. There isn't a million bugs, and finaly we get to see the actual lore of the game that i been waiting for over a decade.

I am gonna offer an example, i wish someone from Blizzard would read it, but i don't think they will.

Back then, at the start of the night elf zone, you had a quest around level 8 or 9, to go turn a letter in Darnasus. You had to run tru the road from Dolanar to Darnasus, and then back. There weren't enemies in the road, you would run back and fort for a few minutes without killing a single mob. Nowadays, someone less keen, would think "oh, thats boring... there is no killing... and you ain't gaining any xp".. But the thing is, that you would be runing tru the map, soaking in the ambience, the scenery... enjoying the background music and sounds... appreciating the world... The game was more chill. A big part of the game play was traveling, and that was very relaxing. The game had a great balance between action and relaxation. Lots of people love that. They love not being rush, they love not having to fight for a few minutes, but more importantly, this let them immerse and appreciate more the world.

The world now looks better... but you ain't looking at it.

Think about the game right now. I am questing in Drustvar, and there isn't a moment i can just chill... matter of a fact, if i go afk anywhere then town, i come back to a dead corpse and have to run back from the graveyard... Hell, sometimes you aren't even safe in town... You can't even run tru Boralus... you'll get dismounted and die from the dozen of mobs that are running behind you... The city is pretty, is my favorite looking city in the game in fact, beating Suramar easily (i like the piratey look of Boralus, tho i too love the Elven cities) but i can't just slow down and look at it...
About that questing in Drustvar.... i get a quest, have to go up the hill to kill a witch... in my way there i get 4 other quests! I am killing stuff pretty much as soon as i pick the quest and turn around... and if you are traveling, you better don't stop till you get to the quest npcs or you'll either die, or have to fight for serveral minutes all the mobs that are always everywhere.... That's also why people can't be without their flying...

Then is the problem of the AP grind and rep grind. You NEED them... I said fck it! And i am not farming WQs. I think i am barely lvl 21 on the necklage, and i'm not exalted yet with the factions because i only do 4 o 5 wqs a day for the emisary and thats it! Those are the systems that i mentioned. IMO just stop making this systems. Just let people grind because they wanna grind... Instead of having to grind AP for a neck... let them grind for a good weapon... that seems much better and people have always enjoyed that... make WQs only give you rep, but make the rep not needed... only convenient to have. Make the emmisary reward have the chance of an item, and wqs too only occasionaly give items as reward, so people feels less forced to do them.

Maybe is because i went less hardcore then other people, that i am enjoying this expansion more?

Seriously, id much rather hear they are fixing the game, making it more like vanilla, then "oh, you can play vanilla over and over and over again!"

I'd love if the next expansion, i have to run around a lot without seeing an enemy, being able to just look at the world, and there aren't too many quests, and in fact i have to do the dungeons to get enough xp to reach max level.

A joke i was tosing around the other day, is how in Stormsong Valley, you get a quest, then you go turn that quest, and you get 4 quests... then you pick wich one to do first, and go there... just to get 4 more quests.... and each of the quests give you 4 more quests...

To make things worst... i had already completed the main story line, dungeon included... so the whole west side of the map was like a giant side quest hub... It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so many quests... and you can't stop for a second because there are a billion bees, quilboars, rats, plants, spiders... seriously, slow down with quests and mob denisity! geez!

Anyway... end of my little rant here!

I agree with all you said, but maybe if more newer players like me that havent played the vanilla yet. Experience the good side of vanilla and will start complain to blizzard why they remove that, etc.

Also, Blizzard will sure get some insight developing the replica and maybe remember some older ideas and apply to bfa.

Ofc the "untouchable" version of classic should be untouchable for like 1 ~~ 2 years. After that blizzard should start release new content, but keeping the core mechanic of the game and the rpg elements. Maybe blizzard can turn this in a new product and create new expansions.

Just my opnion.
anecdotal but,

when I played on undocumented servers, I came across TONS of people who said they started playing in Cata / MoP or later, and they said they are having way more fun playing vanilla than they ever did playing modern WoW
I didn't play vanilla, but I played many RTS and RPGs within 80s - 2004.

I know it's comparing apples to corncobs, but I remember features from D1, D2, Elderscrolls, and old Final Fantasy games.

Talent trees, no synergies, few set items, grinding killing a hundred trolls to level not just doing quests. Walking a thousand mile continent comes to mind with no mounts.

DaggerFall takes 60 hours to walk from one side to the other. Morrowind did not have connected flight/mage/strider paths...you had to find them and sometimes walk around a mountain to get to it. Fog of war made it so you always felt lost.

Diablo 1 had walking dungeons, your gear popped on top of naked walking. D2 had talent trees and only one viable setup. It took 125 days straight of no life non stop playing in classic to go from just 98 to 99 and that was if you had 7 players in your game. You had to buy quivers. You could not buy mana...it had to be found. A Pskull was worth a ton. Hell resistence monsters meant everyone had to be working as a team. You could not solo content even as a hybrid. And respec meant starting from level 1...just in case you miss clicked.

I remember playing tons of RPGs without quest markers and having to find Mankriks wife in them...like the tax collector in Seyda Neen took me hours to find. I didn't have an arrow. Dungeons in Final Fantasy had massive dead ends...hope you brought a million heal potions and not RNG cross that Warmech monster for that dungeon. Telepipe was awesome for Phantasy Star.

Anyone remember hand drawing maps, paths, etc just to get somewhere? We didn't have the Internet. Maybe a magazine.

Honestly, Classic WoW is not that bad of a game for its time. I had played all of WC1, 2, 3 and FT. WoW just looked like they had us play the heroes...like Arthas, Thrall. While I saw it as slightly fun, it was not my thing when I saw the demo. And I had been a poor college kid playing single player games on its release.

TL:DR. I am looking forward to classic. I have fond memories of old RPGs. And my perspective is one that has long appreciated the QoL measures of even old WoW.
I am excited to try it because Classic was such a great and memorable experience, but I sincerely doubt it is going to even come close to capturing what it felt like to play back then. It's just not possible. Players are all savvy now and know what to do. People will still be elitist and toxic. People will still rush to level cap. It's not going to be the slow, exploratory, community-aided grind to 60 I remember.
09/27/2018 02:07 AMPosted by Kadirra
Vanilla AV was best AV. I miss it. The marathon battles were awesome.

This, before cross realm you played your own server, you knew your enemy by name and people became legends.
09/27/2018 05:32 AMPosted by Robmich
I'm not interested in playing classic, they've added too many good things to the game since then that I wouldn't want to give up. I'd be very interested in playing a WoW Legion, though...give me my artifacts back, and my mission table with some depth, and I'd be a happy camper. The BfA expansion is just...blah. At least, so far.

You think you want legion back, but you don't. It's just nostalgia and rose tinted goggles. You forget what a tedious grind legion was.
09/29/2018 01:36 PMPosted by Agonyy
anecdotal but,

when I played on undocumented servers, I came across TONS of people who said they started playing in Cata / MoP or later, and they said they are having way more fun playing vanilla than they ever did playing modern WoW

I started in WoD and played straight through Legion, even the draughts.

Legion was cool. Classic on the private server I play on? BEST.

Classic can be forgiven for shoddy class design, (and I am leveling a Holy Paladin.... the buff bots of Vanilla with intent to do that old school healing), but in retail? Screw that. They ruined every class I love to play.

In classic you had the GCD because that's just how it was. In retail they do it to artificially lengthen their weak azz expansion that's just a boot leg Legion! Might as well have been a selfie cam patch.
09/27/2018 01:59 AMPosted by Yukiel
They think they do, but they dont.

most of them are blinded by nostalgia, the rest will give up long before level cap because its tedious and if we have learned anything from the past couple months, people HATE things that take time or are grindy.

well vanilla is a giant grindy timesink.

see you all back on live before a month of classic is up.

Futurology it's so funny. I'm sure you get homeopathic medication as well. I kept playing in private servers for years so I don't know why I should get back to retail.
09/27/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Tarathia
While I appreciate and love the spark of discussion related to Classic, I want to remind everyone that Classic has it's own forum. So please remember to have those discussions here:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814264/

Moving this over to that forum now along with the rest of these new threads that have popped up. :)

“Classic has *its* own forum.”

Not “it’s.”

“It’s” is a contraction
You are a douche....

[quote="207681379162"]While I appreciate and love the spark of discussion related to Classic, I want to remind everyone that Classic has it's own forum. So please remember to have those discussions here:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814264/

Moving this over to that forum now along with the rest of these new threads that have popped up. :)

“Classic has *its* own forum.”

Not “it’s.”

“It’s” is a contraction.
People are still playing original everquest on their progression servers. The developers are 1/1000th the size of blizzard. The creation of classic servers to play on is such a non issue to retail players that I want to call trolling every time I see this topic come up.

No need to bash classic wow. Go play bfa ffs.
anecdotal but,

I have to say, the “undocumented” servers part made me smile.

I am undocumentd, I am a Dreamer.
09/30/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Jaanus
09/27/2018 05:32 AMPosted by Robmich
I'm not interested in playing classic, they've added too many good things to the game since then that I wouldn't want to give up. I'd be very interested in playing a WoW Legion, though...give me my artifacts back, and my mission table with some depth, and I'd be a happy camper. The BfA expansion is just...blah. At least, so far.

You think you want legion back, but you don't. It's just nostalgia and rose tinted goggles. You forget what a tedious grind legion was.

Love this.
09/30/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Satanael
anecdotal but,

I started in WoD and played straight through Legion, even the draughts.

Legion was cool. Classic on the private server I play on? BEST.

Classic can be forgiven for shoddy class design, (and I am leveling a Holy Paladin.... the buff bots of Vanilla with intent to do that old school healing), but in retail? Screw that. They ruined every class I love to play.

In classic you had the GCD because that's just how it was. In retail they do it to artificially lengthen their weak azz expansion that's just a boot leg Legion! Might as well have been a selfie cam patch.

I am leveling a Holy Priest, I forgot what a pain the gcd was lol
09/27/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Yukiel
09/27/2018 02:33 AMPosted by Mordecaí
Cuz Classic WoW is better than BFA WoW.
objectively false lol.

Someone doesn't know what the word "objectively" means. All you're saying is that you can't actually defend that statement so you're hiding behind that word to avoid engaging in actual intelligent discussion.

Sad.

OT, I played just enough Vanilla to know that I personally won't enjoy Classic that much. But that has less to do with Vanilla being a bad game and more to do with my dwindling interest in gaming over the years as my life schedule fills up.
I don't understand why people see this as a hostile post? It seems to be a pure curiosity post.