Why do people want to play Classic?

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 22 Next
09/17/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Anixie
The nostalgia argument is totally invalid.

People don't listen to the Rolling Stones or ride a mustang '67 for nostalgia. Some things are just good, even tho they're old.
Its just gaming conservatives. As people age, a certain percentage of them no longer like new things, and want to return to memories of the days in which things were "better". They of course, are never better, but its easy to go back to, and is thus better for THEM.

Its just aging and decay. New things require too much time and energy, so you would rather spend your time on something you're familiar with, and had a good time with long ago.
I want to play Classic because I love WoW. I was well and truly hooked long before the end of my initial 10 day free trial -- but that free trial started just after Cataclysm went live (my account was created on December 14, 2010).

Amongst many other things, I want to explore a Loch Modan that has an actual loch and not just a bunch of mud puddles (as much as I love those mud puddles too). And yes, I realize that quite a few things I love dearly about retail WoW won't be there (playable Draenei and flying, to name two). So what? Classic, in a sense, is going to be the real time travel expansion.
Because Enhancement shamans could off tank and also strong 2h axes wind fury , or for elementals spamming lightning chain and for resto spamming heal chain when those abilities were strong!
not the bs that is now.

People will fear shamans again!
I don't want to play Classic, but I think I can categorize MOST of the people who wants to play Classic in 3 categories.

1. The nostalgics (who might or might not stay on Classic depending on how they can revive this nostalgia)

2. The tryhards (not in the bad way though, just people who enjoy challenge and might think WoW is currently too easy to play and those might be the ones that help the most with Classic doing good)

3. The people that never played WoW classic and mostly have a wrong idea of how it was. (they up for a not so nice surprise and most of them won't last long in Classic)

I could make another category for all the rest but those are mainly people with personal reasons like curiosity or the giving it a shot people and so on.
09/27/2018 06:23 AMPosted by Lokubi
Its just gaming conservatives. As people age, a certain percentage of them no longer like new things, and want to return to memories of the days in which things were "better". They of course, are never better, but its easy to go back to, and is thus better for THEM.

Its just aging and decay. New things require too much time and energy, so you would rather spend your time on something you're familiar with, and had a good time with long ago.

There are substantial and quantifiable differences in the two game's core design philosophies and no amount of your reductionist nonsense is going to change that.
09/27/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Krenindor
I don't want to play Classic, but I think I can categorize MOST of the people who wants to play Classic in 3 categories.

1. The nostalgics (who might or might not stay on Classic depending on how they can revive this nostalgia)

2. The tryhards (not in the bad way though, just people who enjoy challenge and might think WoW is currently too easy to play and those might be the ones that help the most with Classic doing good)

3. The people that never played WoW classic and mostly have a wrong idea of how it was. (they up for a not so nice surprise and most of them won't last long in Classic)

I could make another category for all the rest but those are mainly people with personal reasons like curiosity or the giving it a shot people and so on.

I, too, enjoy classifying large groups of people into smaller disparate categories with no data and no evidence to back up my opinions whatsoever.
I never played classic, didn't even own a computer then. For me it would be curiosity to see what is different and how it plays. But that being said, if it's totally separate in that we have to buy the game AND pay a sub for it, then hard pass.
09/27/2018 01:59 AMPosted by Yukiel
They think they do, but they dont.

most of them are blinded by nostalgia, the rest will give up long before level cap because its tedious and if we have learned anything from the past couple months, people HATE things that take time or are grindy.

well vanilla is a giant grindy timesink.

see you all back on live before a month of classic is up.
What this leveling from 110 - 120 did to you? Kill this, kill that...nothing new, no progression. In Vanilla, Epic IS Epic.
09/27/2018 01:30 AMPosted by Blasco
Granted, I didn't make it to lvl 60 before TBC was released

Stopped reading here
09/27/2018 06:40 AMPosted by Nighdarke
if it's totally separate in that we have to buy the game AND pay a sub for it, then hard pass.

This ladies and gentlemen is the reason why I REALLY HOPE that they charge for the game.
09/27/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Kolyx
The big draw about Vanilla was the community more than anything.

When servers were their own little entities and players and guilds were known, you had a sense of identity. Mergers and cross queuing killed server communities.

Outside of that there was really nothing great about Vanilla. I may have enjoyed certain classes more then (hunter and warrior), and prefer the old talent trees, but the QoL improvements that have been added to the game since make Vanilla unplayable in comparison.

I agree with you when it comes to community being a huge piece of what made vanilla great.

I do not think vanilla is unplayable by today's standards. QoL is part of what destroyed the community in the first place. Things like group finder were a major blow to what actually forced people to talk to each other.

I'm referring to things like player movement (mounts) and the cost associated with it, classes that don't even play remotely like they do today and interface things likr keys, mount collection, material bank tab.

Sure, people who played it in the first run will readjust but I don't see those who missed it will stick around.

They could remove the LFG tool today and I wouldn't bat an eye.
1. It was an amazing game. It kicked off this game that has been amazing for so long (although currently, maybe not so much).

2. Not everyone feels that the grinds in Vanilla were tedious. A lot of us had already played games that made Vanilla grinds look like child’s play.

3. I will personally enjoy having abilities and mechanics back that have been buried for years. I can’t wait.
Vanilla "where everybody knows your name"

Making your way in the world today
Takes everything you got
Taking a break from all your worries
It sure would help a lot
Wouldn't you like to get away?
Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to be where you can see
The troubles are all the same
You want to be where everybody knows your name
09/27/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Kolyx
The big draw about Vanilla was the community more than anything.

When servers were their own little entities and players and guilds were known, you had a sense of identity. Mergers and cross queuing killed server communities.

Outside of that there was really nothing great about Vanilla. I may have enjoyed certain classes more then (hunter and warrior), and prefer the old talent trees, but the QoL improvements that have been added to the game since make Vanilla unplayable in comparison.

For you. For others, the QoL changes have not been improvements. Blizzard has taken the rpg out of mmorpg on retail.
For me, it ultimately boils down to one thing: The current game, while it has both its upsides and downsides, feels like logging into a fancy 3D lobby from which I do certain tasks. Classic feels like logging into an actual multiplayer RPG. Every part of the game actually feels like a game, not a spruced up waiting room.
Tbh, it sucks that so much developer time has been wasted in Classic WoW, a game that WILL NOT fail, but will end up like D3 in my eyes (good sales, 12 people playing). It's an obvious cash grab.
09/27/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Krenindor

I'd add another category for those who simply think it was a much better game, back then. I'm not sure how many of us there are, though.
09/27/2018 06:51 AMPosted by Maraloc
It's an obvious cash grab.

How dare a publicly traded company do that...
To the OP

Why? Three words:
Rose. Colored. Glasses.

The end.