Fishing is a joke

General Discussion
My level 12 picked up a fishing quest in SWC. Her fishing skill is now at 30 and she still can't complete the quest. At her level of fishing all she gets is cheap vendor trash. But if she goes to BFA, she will catch a fish every time or at least some good vendor trash. Unlike the old day this adds nothing to her fishing skill level. So it is back to SWC to fish up trash. Not sure if it's true or not, but I was told you have to have level 75 fishing skills to actually catch fish in SWC. And fishing lures are useless.
Not sure anymore, or if its an add-on thing, but at sometime somehow the map would tell you the fishing level for each zone when you hovered.
this is some next level qq
10/04/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Iratio
Not sure anymore, or if its an add-on thing, but at sometime somehow the map would tell you the fishing level for each zone when you hovered.

I see where it tells me the battle pet level and the playing level, but nothing else. But as you said, it may be an addon
I use Gnomes for bait when I fish, and have had no problems.
I have a suggestion: You can buy a common bait Buff for your rod from the Fishing vendor. Use it to get to 75 at the minimum in Stormwind.

That should help a lot!
I've leveled many a toon's fishing in SW and Org by standing by the fishing trainer. At fishing level 30 you should be catching some fish and some trash. You don't have to get to 75 to start catching fish. Fishing lures are not useless, they help quite a bit.

Have patience young grasshopper!
Go to the fishing island in Dalaran and level to your hearts content.
It's too early for Alliance tears about fishing...

/brews voodoo popcorn coffee
10/04/2018 06:48 AMPosted by Tholin
I've leveled many a toon's fishing in SW and Org by standing by the fishing trainer. At fishing level 30 you should be catching some fish and some trash. You don't have to get to 75 to start catching fish. Fishing lures are not useless, they help quite a bit.

Have patience young grasshopper!

I think that is the problem - fishing is slow to begin with and you catch lots of junk for a long while. I have leveled up fishing on a new character within the last two months and was doing those dailies in SW as well and never had a major problem.
10/04/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Precor
Go to the fishing island in Dalaran and level to your hearts content.
The character she is talking about is level twelve. Probably cannot get to Dalaran.
That one quest has always been annoying for characters under level 75 fishing.

The good news is you only really need to do it a few times before you get past 75, since you get skill ups for all that grey junk.
10/04/2018 07:23 AMPosted by Melaroi
That one quest has always been annoying for characters under level 75 fishing.

The good news is you only really need to do it a few times before you get past 75, since you get skill ups for all that grey junk.

Indeed.

Grey junk does give skill ups. Fishing is also great for leveling cooking.

Go to the small pond in Goldshire. Fish. Go to the Trade Vendor and get the recipe for smallfish. Cook them! You will catch some catfish (or is it mudfish?) too. When you get to cooking 50 you can cook those. Same vendor has the recipe.

Once you hit 75 fishing move to the canals in SW. The Daily quest giver by the fishing trainer has the next recipes for cooking you need too.

The bait DOES actually help so feel free to use it.

It should take about 45 mins max to level your cooking and fishing over 75.
But I'd like to remind you of what I said. I can catch fish at Boralus Harbor with level 1 fishing skills and not have to wait till whatever level as in SWC.
10/04/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Littletiger
But I'd like to remind you of what I said. I can catch fish at Boralus Harbor with level 1 fishing skills and not have to wait till whatever level as in SWC.

We know that - they changed professions so that you don't have to learn the previous ones.

Welcome back to Vanilla? I am sorry, but that is how fishing in those zones works. They have not gone back and changed it.

If you do what I said, by fishing in the proper zone, you will skill up fishing AND cooking quite fast. The two are designed to go together.
10/04/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Littletiger
My level 12 picked up a fishing quest in SWC. Her fishing skill is now at 30 and she still can't complete the quest. At her level of fishing all she gets is cheap vendor trash. But if she goes to BFA, she will catch a fish every time or at least some good vendor trash. Unlike the old day this adds nothing to her fishing skill level. So it is back to SWC to fish up trash. Not sure if it's true or not, but I was told you have to have level 75 fishing skills to actually catch fish in SWC. And fishing lures are useless.

Get lures. They increase your fishing score and you'll complete the quest quicker.
10/04/2018 01:32 PMPosted by Amine

We know that - they changed professions so that you don't have to learn the previous ones.

Quit right. But if I can catch fish in BFA at level 1 without Kul Tiran training. I should be able to catch fish in SWC at level 1. I hate the inconsistency in the game.
10/04/2018 01:36 PMPosted by Sorelai
10/04/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Littletiger

Get lures. They increase your fishing score and you'll complete the quest quicker.

You mean like 3 whole leves is going to make a whole lot of difference? I did try that.

Shiny Bauble
Item Level 10
Use: When applied to your fishing pole, increases Fishing by 3 for 10 min.