Fishing is a joke

General Discussion
Obviously the old world suffers from years of overfishing.
10/04/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Littletiger
<span class="truncated">...</span>

We know that - they changed professions so that you don't have to learn the previous ones.

Quit right. But if I can catch fish in BFA at level 1 without Kul Tiran training. I should be able to catch fish in SWC at level 1. I hate the inconsistency in the game.

It is inconsistent, I agree, but the Vanilla fishing mechanics are what they are. Zones have fishing levels and if you are too low you catch junk :( BfA they decided different zones would not have different fishing levels - which makes sense seeing as you can quest in any zone and it scales.

This is why I always took a while to stop in Goldshire to level my fishing and cooking so I would be ready for the next zone (including Stormwind which has 75 fishing). The way it was meant to be done, you would max out your fishing and cooking in each zone you were in and not move on until you were ready for the next zone. It was supposed to be time consuming.

10/04/2018 01:44 PMPosted by Eternosus
Obviously the old world suffers from years of overfishing.

This got a giggle out of me. I bet you learned that from Scrollsage Nola :)
I think what some of you higher levels fails to realize that Blizzard has nerfed the fishing lures. What once raised your level by 25 only raising it by 3
10/04/2018 01:56 PMPosted by Littletiger
I think what some of you higher levels fails to realize that Blizzard has nerfed the fishing lures. What once raised your level by 25 only raising it by 3

I know they did and you are not wrong. The fix would be to un-nerf them but restrict them to level 60 and under chars, or the old world.

Regardless though, I promise if you take a bit of time to level fishing in the proper zone you don't even need a lure. I never used them leveling in Vanilla, partly because I liked fishing and did not fish in areas too hard for me :)

In the time you spent discussing it you could have headed to Goldshire and had 75 fishing and cooking already :)

The pond is right by the flight point in town. The Trade Vendor by the wagon has the cooking recipes you need. There is a fishing trainer in town and a cooking trainer as well. The fireplace in the inn allows you to cook. Everything you need to get started is conveniently placed there.
10/04/2018 01:32 PMPosted by Amine

We know that - they changed professions so that you don't have to learn the previous ones.

Quit right. But if I can catch fish in BFA at level 1 without Kul Tiran training. I should be able to catch fish in SWC at level 1. I hate the inconsistency in the game.

Yes you shouldn't be even able to go outside the expansion you are working on and then there would be no inconsistency for you.
10/04/2018 02:06 PMPosted by Amine

Yes you shouldn't be even able to go outside the expansion you are working on and then there would be no inconsistency for you.

But that would be no fun. If we are to restrict low level from high areas, then why not restrict high levels from low areas as well.
Too early to think, what is SWC
10/05/2018 04:35 AMPosted by Chrisonis
Too early to think, what is SWC

Stormwind City.

I can't believe someone is complaining about the 10 -15 min it took to get to fishing level 30.
I guess I don't understand what the issue is. Then again, usually when I start a toon I don't usually transfer a whole bunch of gold to them due to how I choose to play.

I let each toon make their own money. That means fishing up junk to sell, which gives me money. At least until the fish catches are consistent. When I outgrow the fish for cooking, I save it up to dump on a new toon.

Normally, I get them at least to the level to do the fishing quest in Darkmoon when it rolls around for that +5 level increase. Then I fish there for the bloated thresher and the 12+ gold it gives up, and the darkmoon daggermaw for the stuff. Both of those give the skill ups as I fish, as well as the junk which I sell.
10/04/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Precor
Go to the fishing island in Dalaran and level to your hearts content.

That worked until they split the levels up by expansion. Classic fishing has been that way since the start. Fish the pools, it lessens the trash.
10/05/2018 04:33 AMPosted by Littletiger

But that would be no fun. If we are to restrict low level from high areas, then why not restrict high levels from low areas as well.

I don't see any high levels complaining about inconsistencies though - only you.
10/04/2018 01:56 PMPosted by Littletiger

Hm, I had no idea they gutted the lures, that is interesting.
10/04/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Littletiger
My level 12 picked up a fishing quest in SWC. Her fishing skill is now at 30 and she still can't complete the quest. At her level of fishing all she gets is cheap vendor trash. But if she goes to BFA, she will catch a fish every time or at least some good vendor trash. Unlike the old day this adds nothing to her fishing skill level. So it is back to SWC to fish up trash. Not sure if it's true or not, but I was told you have to have level 75 fishing skills to actually catch fish in SWC. And fishing lures are useless.

Yes,you would but get this every zone you go to you will still get trash even at 150.

Really there are safe places at high levels lowbies can go to these sometime give xp in fishing ,one is northrend at the fort completely safe just don't go to far out.You will however still get trash fish until 75 percent from capping.
Have you bribed Nat Pagel with a 6-pack of ale yet? Usually works for me and I get a fishing pole out of the deal!
10/05/2018 05:57 AMPosted by Pyromor

Really there are safe places at high levels lowbies can go to these sometime give xp in fishing ,one is northrend at the fort completely safe just don't go to far out.You will however still get trash fish until 75 percent from capping.

That doesn't work anymore. It use to be fish were fish no matter where you caught them. But all that ended with BFA Northrend is the same as BFA. I can go there and catch fish all day long with no trash, but it only applies to rising Northrend fishing skills, not general 1-300 fishing skills. Same as as other profession.
I think Blizzard should come up with an Environmental Achievement for cleaning so much trash out of the waterways.
Seriously...

Fishing in real life is basically sitting in one spot for a time waiting for fish to co-operate and bite your lure.

Basic fishing in WoW is ..virtually.. the same thing. (see what I did there)

On topic though, it takes very little to level up basic fishing. 3-4 casts per minute, one skillup per cast to around 75 or so... just do it.

Just like RL fishing.
WOW! I just got a Weather Beaten Journal and a Bone Fishing pole. Not like the old days , both now only require level i fishing.
10/05/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Zefirah
Seriously...

Fishing in real life is basically sitting in one spot for a time waiting for fish to co-operate and bite your lure.

Basic fishing in WoW is ..virtually.. the same thing. (see what I did there)

On topic though, it takes very little to level up basic fishing. 3-4 casts per minute, one skillup per cast to around 75 or so... just do it.

Just like RL fishing.

It now seem that once you leave Azeroth, fishing skill 1 is all you need to catch fish anywhere. No need to learn Legion, or Draenor or any other level of fishing.