Divine Purpose

Paladin
Why are we not talking about this more? Has Blizzard said anything about it at all? What other specs have a talent that is essentially broken? I figured this would've been fixed/addressed in the first week of uldir but still nothing. Is this working as intended or not Blizzard? I haven't seen a blue response yet anywhere.

From retpaladin.xyz

– Divine Purpose does not chain procs properly. The Divine Purpose buff is not consumed immediately when a spender has been cast which can allow you to gain another Divine Purpose proc which is consumed once the first spender has done damage or healing. To see if this bug has affected you open one of your previous logs. Use the menu to navigate to Buffs > Events and select Divine Purpose. Anytime you see “Divine Purpose is refreshed” you missed out on a double proc or potentially higher.

It'd be nice to even have a proc based rng as hell option to at least try and help my guild on a fight like zek'voz where aoe is crucial for getting the small adds down asap, instead i have zero options and have to be benched until i can reroll frost dk. I just don't get it man, it'd be one thing if Blizzard responded and said "oh well" but they don't even acknowledge this.
Inquisiton is better and more fun anyway. Dp should be baseline tbh but its not being fixed cuz its inferior and too rng dependent anyway. It should be fixed dont get me wrong but tis blizzard they dont care
10/07/2018 03:31 AMPosted by Caperx
Inquisiton is better and more fun anyway. Dp should be baseline tbh but its not being fixed cuz its inferior and too rng dependent anyway. It should be fixed dont get me wrong but tis blizzard they dont care

Really? Its better for raid. My sim show i lose 1k dps if i take that talent.
Divine Purpose is currently trending as the top DPS talent. When the random talent sims better, it means that it's a guaranteed pick. The fact that you can do MORE damage, and on average perform BETTER means that DP is the solid pick.

Do I like DP? Not really, random stuff is nice when it procs, and terrible when it doesn't.
I doubt that DP is simming higher, I would like to see where you are getting that information from.
10/07/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Bubblícious
I doubt that DP is simming higher, I would like to see where you are getting that information from.

www.raidbots.com

Just simmed, the difference was fairly minimal, but DP was still simming higher than Inquisition.

There might be some stat combinations where Inquisition could pull ahead, but so far every one I've done has had DP at some amount higher.
10/07/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Bubblícious

DP sims higher for my ret set as well, in all encounter durations and types. (trust me, I was just as surprised)
It simming higher depends on your stats but something thats rng dependant runs the risk of sucking half the time. which is why most rets use inq. Rng damage compared to guarenteed consistent is never good esp on progression. Esp since dp is bugged. But yes sometimes blade of wrath dp sims higher then how inq its situational on your stats and what your haste is at.
Is Inquisition really that much better? I know haste = amazing but the use of it and constant refreshing of it seems to make Ret feel even more clunky than it already has a tendency to feel.
I kind of like the balance right now (for my gear set) where inq sims slightly ahead but DP has the potential to be better. That means the choice is largely preference, which is ideal tuning.

That being said, divine purpose bug does need to be fixed so that it can proc itself instead of consuming its own consecutive procs.
10/07/2018 09:56 PMPosted by Titansqt
I kind of like the balance right now (for my gear set) where inq sims slightly ahead but DP has the potential to be better. That means the choice is largely preference, which is ideal tuning.

That being said, divine purpose bug does need to be fixed so that it can proc itself instead of consuming its own consecutive procs.

They would literally have to nerf it if they did this (and this is actually a bug). I've been testing and DP proccing of of itself in general happens so infrequently that it's hard to even verify.

I hated inquisition in cata days just because world mobs would die before getting the buff up. I went back and tried inquisition again and felt like there was even more downtime without the GCD spending on TV, despite the increased haste that Inquisition offers. - Not to mention that, as another thread post in here recently suggest, TV is 50% of our damage and why DP sims so high

I only started playing DP after MoP where our HoW was removed (or did that happen after WoD, sorry can't even remember) but now I love it and would probably take it at a slight DPS loss.
10/07/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Caperx
It simming higher depends on your stats but something thats rng dependant runs the risk of sucking half the time. which is why most rets use inq. Rng damage compared to guarenteed consistent is never good esp on progression. Esp since dp is bugged. But yes sometimes blade of wrath dp sims higher then how inq its situational on your stats and what your haste is at.

This is actually false, at least in higher performing raids.

Randomness is the only way to obtain the highest DPS parses, (if the item sims well enough), this is why DP performing better the majority of the time on simulations is important.

Random high damage + Better average = guaranteed pick.
>
Static damage + Better average = pick unless you're gambling for a high parse.

That's the problem, if you want to parse higher than other Rets you have to subject yourself to the gambling system.
DP.

Giggity.
Kind of a footnote... but the fact that we're even having this conversation means Bliz did a good job of balancing that tier. It's nice to have a choice, rather than being forced into one because the other options don't perform as well in any situations ... cough*wake of ashes*
Is it bugged though? As I read the tooltip on DP it says it can proc off of HP spending abilities.

It almost seems like it does not fall off right away as a work around in order to prevent DP from procing a DP. So thought it looks off on logs and on buff refreshes it almost seems like an intended behavior (since technically the free HP abilities does not actually cost HP though normally it would).

Just my thought.

Or, has a blue confirmed somewhere that it is bugged and they are working on it?

Or, are we just assuming it should be able to self proc (the language seems to indicate that it should not). Even if it has in the past. Maybe self procs were always the bug.
It used to be able to chain itself and they didn't state explicitly they were changing it so it couldn't chain itself, so many assume it's a bug.

I'm more cynical when it comes to blizz, however, and assume it's intended.

Regardless, I'm fine with it, because it's still competitive and I like proc reactionary gameplay a lot more than proactive buff maintenance snoozefest that is literally a set rotation that will almost always happen the exact same way every pull.
10/11/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Exkath
Is it bugged though? As I read the tooltip on DP it says it can proc off of HP spending abilities.

It almost seems like it does not fall off right away as a work around in order to prevent DP from procing a DP. So thought it looks off on logs and on buff refreshes it almost seems like an intended behavior (since technically the free HP abilities does not actually cost HP though normally it would).

Just my thought.

Or, has a blue confirmed somewhere that it is bugged and they are working on it?

Or, are we just assuming it should be able to self proc (the language seems to indicate that it should not). Even if it has in the past. Maybe self procs were always the bug.

Even if that were the case, there would still be a bug since we get the "Divine Purpose" status text in our screen when we proc it a second time in a row.
I mean we can argue whether or not this is intended all day long but I posted this to remind the absentee ret devs that they weren't clear on this and haven't mentioned it in 2 months.
10/11/2018 01:23 PMPosted by Dirtnaztyy
I mean we can argue whether or not this is intended all day long but I posted this to remind the absentee ret devs that they weren't clear on this and haven't mentioned it in 2 months.

Absent ret devs? It's more like there aren't any Paladin devs at all, they don't give a !@#$.
10/11/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Bodymassage
Kind of a footnote... but the fact that we're even having this conversation means Bliz did a good job of balancing that tier. It's nice to have a choice, rather than being forced into one because the other options don't perform as well in any situations ... cough*wake of ashes*

Actually they did the opposite of it. They made DP the only viable option on the tier. I've already explained that randomness + better averages is an auto-pick. Inquisition or Crusade would have to parse better in order to even make it a decision.