Enjoyable leveling for healers?

Classic Discussion
I would like to raid as a healer once I reach max level, but I would also like to have an enjoyable leveling experience (probably leveling solo most of the time). I've heard leveling as a healer can suck in vanilla. Which class would you guys recommend?
10/09/2018 08:32 PMPosted by Aldreas
I would like to raid as a healer once I reach max level, but I would also like to have an enjoyable leveling experience (probably leveling solo most of the time). I've heard leveling as a healer can suck in vanilla. Which class would you guys recommend?

Dwarf priest. Don’t lvl with heal spec tho.
They don't exactly "suck" at leveling. In fact quite the contrary, healing classes are easier to level than most DPS classes. If you're intending to level AS a healing spec that will be slow, painful, and involve lots of autoattacking. But the DPS specs of hybrid classes are very effective at leveling with little downtime. Here's my breakdown:

I leveled a feral druid 1-60 that was really fun. Loads of spell usage, shifting, and ability to manage multiple mobs with CC. Also low downtime.

Wand priests are also strong, with little downtime. Quite boring you just hit autowand and AFK

Rets are the same. Low downtime but also very boring autoattack-centric playstyle

Shamans can be leveled in a few ways, 1h shield or 2h enh, the former a tanky autoattacker and the latter an unpredictable burster with higher downtime
I would recommend leveling as a dps dps spec but you can still heal fine in 5 mans.

Also as a healing class you have lower downtime then other classes. Just make sure to always have food and water on you
Honestly pick one you like, personally I like sammy for the name shamwow, but each their own.

Once you've done that, lvl in that class dps spec. Just heal in dungeons like you are heal specced.

Once 60 retrain to full heals and your groovy.
Druid level feral, they are one of the fastest leveling classes behind hunters and maybe warlocks since they do decent dmg, have no downtime due to hots and stealth. And get movement speed bonus at 20.

Priest get the lesser and greater magic wands from enchanters as soon as you can, get 5/5 wand spec early and wand will be how you kill things till 40 when you respec shadow.

Shaman go enhance.

Pally... hit stuff till it dies?... this one is prob gonna take a while.

All of them should be able to heal dungeons as a dps spec till mid to late 50s without any problems.
Hybrid classes are very easy to level, depends on how you get and what type of pace you go at.
You didn't have to wand, shadow priest had a talent that gave them mana reg when mob dies.
Try to increase your weapon skill though, being able to hit a level 11 scorpion with staff after running out of mana is a good thing.
Shamans can wear shields and use two hander staffs so be sure to have both for defense and offense, you can kite enemies as a shaman.
solo lvling
just go druid
(u can heal or tank early dungeons)
or shaman if horde - just go fast mh+shield with flametongue wpn ele/enh hybrid
priest will require lots and lots of wanding - but its imo most versatile and most engaging out all heals
pallies will lvl as ret or prots - but the playstyle makes me puke endgame with flash of light spam

Shadow priest and respec at 60 for holy.
You can still heal dungeons though even as shadow.
10/09/2018 09:27 PMPosted by Brockthorn

Shadow priest and respec at 60 for holy.
You can still heal dungeons though even as shadow.

This. Even moreso if they (as everyone expects) use the post-revamp talent trees since meditation only takes you 13 into disc leaving plenty of points for shadow...

Something like https://classicdb.ch/?talent#bVMhsZZEMgz0tRt with the last 2 points up for several options can heal any 5 man as long as you gear appropriately while also being pretty good at grinding stuff...
Vanilla is not like live, most of the gear that makes a spec shine comes out at levels 55 and then of course it just sky rockets from there. That is the +healing gear, the +dmg gear...there are some pieces like that before level 55 but they are not common and not needed to heal in the dungeons at that point or do dmg. Healing as Shadow in groups until 60 works np, same for Druids as feral or Paladin/Shaman.
Play with other people instead of solo play. It is an MMORPG after all.
just wrath and moonfire spam

as a healer spec, you'll have almost nearly enough mana.
10/09/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Anncoulterx

Dwarf priest. Don’t lvl with heal spec tho.

yeah my thoughts also.
healers take forever and a day to kill things. More often than not, I'd clear surrounding mobs to get to a rare and before the rare would die, the mobs I'd cleared would respawn.

Warriors like to complain about how long leveling is because they have to sit and eat after a pull, well 15 seconds to kill + 15 seconds to eat is still WAY faster than 90 seconds to kill + 3 seconds to self heal.
Back in classic, I healed strath/scholo/UBRS as a Ret Paladin, on an alt.

You can definitely level as an off-spec, and even do 5-mans if your group is competent.

I'd advise not leveling as a healing spec.
Play a Priest, level 1-10 with power word pain, and wanding
there is NO downtime, you can pull and kill 2-3 mobs at a time,
you cannot die because of Renew (self and let it tick)
first 5 talents into shadow (for spirit buff when mobs die)
the rest go into disc for leveling (includes +25% wand damage)

1. as a Priest you do NOT level slowly, this is a lie
2. with Renew+bubble you can spend your time casting power word pain
and using your wand to kill 2-3 mobs at once with NO down time,
they refill 10% of your mana pool per mob and only use 2-3% mana
3. stack INT/Stam gear for leveling 1-59
4. ignore +spell dmg/+Spell heal until level 60 (seriously)
5. use MAX rank spells from 1-59
6. after 20+ you'll be spammed every day with invites to dungeons
accept the ones you LIKE, pass on the ones you Know will be horrible
7. always keep all mana pots you find
8. keep 60+ water on you (drink between pulls)

After level 59 start worrying about + spell healing gear, Mp5 gear
skip crit gear, start down ranking your spells based on your + healing
(example : +1-99 Healing/dmg = stay at Max rank, +100-200 Heal/dmg =
drop from Rank 5 Renew to Rank 4, +200-300+ drop rank 5 down to Rank 3)
Enjoy Raiding everyone wants Priests!
resto shaman has a leveling build that is only a tiny bit behind its enhancement counterpart using dagger+shield with flametongue
Levelling as basically a smite priest works okay. Slower than other options, but very survivable.
10/11/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Schotty
Levelling as basically a smite priest works okay. Slower than other options, but very survivable.

Disc/Holy is actually better than Shadow until 45~ or so. That's purely because wanding is the best form of DPS for a Priest, and they only need Spirit Tap from the Shadow tree to be self-sufficient. Once they hit 45 they can get Shadowform and Imp. Wand Spec, and that's when Shadow gets better. Not entirely safer - as empowered shields/heals are always nice - but lots of damage.

It's just... boring. Shield, Smite/MB (whichever does more at level), SW:P, wand to death.