I don’t understand this Casual/Elitest thing?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
It seems as if it is really a hot topic now and I just don’t get it. I mean I have bumped into people that think they are God’s gift to WoW but strangely enough it’s come from both casual and hard core alike. I guess it’s the elitist part that baffles me since I find that less to do with skill and more with attitude.

I mean this is a game right? Whether you are good or bad, play a lot or a little, Alliance or Horde, it’s still a game. We are not saving lives or curing cancer here.

Currently, I have a lot of free time and as such have been able to play more but I don’t think I’m better than a person who plays less (that’s just stupid). I do my thing which currently is farming the heck out of AP and collect my toys and such cause I’m a hoarder (thankfully only in game), count my gold and also have been trying to push harder content. Does that make me better than anyone else? Absolutely not! I just can’t grasp the thinking behind elitism in a game at all. Actually the concept of elitism baffles me irl too. Looking down on people serves no purpose and seems incredibly counterproductive.

Anyway, I just don’t comprehend the attitude. Sorry for rambling.
Same with everything in life.
10/10/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Neocleo
We are not saving lives or curing cancer here.

Well exuuuUUUUuuuuse me.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are like, "I'm ok, you're okay", and those who think that everyone who doesn't do everything exactly the way they do are doing life wrong.

There are elite players who are very good at the game. And there are casuals who don't care much about being very good at the game.

And then there are those who feel the need to identify with the elite, even though they are in no way elite themselves and would be disadvantaged if what the worst elitists want were to happen.

So what we have is elite players who think everyone who isn't elite is doing life wrong, sycophants, and wannabes posting nonsense threads blaming everything wrong with the game on people who don't care whether they are elite or just having fun farming mounts or whatever. Because these people consider people who are okay with "whatever" to be threatening their way of life and their reason for existing.
everyone thinks that they are elite. and that everyone outside of their direct circle of friends are casual.
Don't worry about it, OP. It's not something even the people who toss those words around actually understand, either. Denigrating others by slapping on labels is just an attempt to make themselves and their opinions look better.
10/10/2018 12:28 PMPosted by Beezlebubba
everyone thinks that they are elite. and that everyone outside of their direct circle of friends are casual.

This is incorrect. Lots of people know they are casual and are okay with it.
Filthy casuals! you have to play 24/7 360 days out of the year to be elite! those missing 5 days are for bathroom time.
"More to do with attitude" clearly, you do already get it.
made up names to make a group of people feel superior

There are those that don't care and then there are Those that have nothing but to cling to the ideal "elitist" attitude.

Most players fall in the "I don't care" realm. Elite players and the Casuals leave each other alone and let each other play how they want.

The vocal "Elitist" minority-- Are normally just Elitist wannabe's that have nothing else going for them.
"I'm here to run mythics and chew out noobs, and I'm all out of mythics..."
10/10/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Lexindra
We are not saving lives or curing cancer here.

Well exuuuUUUUuuuuse me.

Lol, sorry was I being to elitist :)
Yeah, I don't think anyone really cares about those two labels. I think it's just made up GD drama.

The only people who may care are the ones who like to think of themselves at elite and people who don't like being called casual.
10/10/2018 12:31 PMPosted by Saitama
Filthy casuals! you have to play 24/7 360 days out of the year to be elite! those missing 5 days are for bathroom time.

Really? And I always thought that true hard core meant a raid catheter.
Look at this noob not curing cancer. Lrn2play!
10/10/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Lijeng
"I'm here to run mythics and chew out noobs, and I'm all out of mythics..."

Honestly seeing your little panda face poking out of that fierce wolfs mouth is to cute to picture you standing on a pile of corpses lol.
My fav elites are the pvp ones that claim to be good but everyone else is scum.. then the scoreboard at the end shows them as being the ones to least contribute.
It seems as if it is really a hot topic now and I just don’t get it. I mean I have bumped into people that think they are God’s gift to WoW but strangely enough it’s come from both casual and hard core alike. I guess it’s the elitist part that baffles me since I find that less to do with skill and more with attitude.

I mean this is a game right? Whether you are good or bad, play a lot or a little, Alliance or Horde, it’s still a game. We are not saving lives or curing cancer here.

Currently, I have a lot of free time and as such have been able to play more but I don’t think I’m better than a person who plays less (that’s just stupid). I do my thing which currently is farming the heck out of AP and collect my toys and such cause I’m a hoarder (thankfully only in game), count my gold and also have been trying to push harder content. Does that make me better than anyone else? Absolutely not! I just can’t grasp the thinking behind elitism in a game at all. Actually the concept of elitism baffles me irl too. Looking down on people serves no purpose and seems incredibly counterproductive.

no the elitest are the pricks that have high demands before raiding like below.

demands

1) must get the achieve in dungeon heroic of do not get touched by sentry beam in so and so dungeon.

2) must have glory of the catalysm dungeon reg and heroic whatever

3)if you do raid with us you get no gear for 12 runs (seriously why would I waste my time then)

4) all tier is given to core raiders first

5) core raider have too much dkp and take everything they want even if it is the third off spec.

6)seniority in actual getting a spot to raid each week

7) if you die you get no loot period (nevermind you got stuck with a random dot that kills you and the healers didn't dispel)
8) fill out a resume on the guild website for approval entry into guild. Like seriously?
So thanks to all of that we are stuck with this garbage rng diablo 3 crap plus the designs of the classes are not thrilling enough to care. Even worse they can't even give us a new freaking spell or move for max level for 2 expansion now.
10/10/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Troodrood
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are like, "I'm ok, you're okay", and those who think that everyone who doesn't do everything exactly the way they do are doing life wrong.

There are elite players who are very good at the game. And there are casuals who don't care much about being very good at the game.

And then there are those who feel the need to identify with the elite, even though they are in no way elite themselves and would be disadvantaged if what the worst elitists want were to happen.

So what we have is elite players who think everyone who isn't elite is doing life wrong, sycophants, and wannabes posting nonsense threads blaming everything wrong with the game on people who don't care whether they are elite or just having fun farming mounts or whatever. Because these people consider people who are okay with "whatever" to be threatening their way of life and their reason for existing.

I pretty much have a live and let live attitude so that may be why it’s such a foreign concept to me.