I don’t understand this Casual/Elitest thing?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
It's an unavoidable fact of life as humans have tribal, herd mentality deep within their DNA. There's a need to Belong - family, groups, professions, etc. and most feel lost and anxious when they're alone.

So there are groups, cliques, etc. in all phases of life. Some you join on purpose (sports, clubs), some you're labeled into as a putdown (geeks, nerds, thugs) and some - you're just born that way.

That kind of thinking naturally gravitates into the video game you play with a huge amount of other people. Some have to find their own niche, homies, their own label. It's more comfortable to belong to something. Even belonging to yourself as a lone adventurer honing your own path thru the world of warcraft.

Leave me alone, I'm gaming. =)
10/10/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Saitama
My fav elites are the pvp ones that claim to be good but everyone else is scum.. then the scoreboard at the end shows them as being the ones to least contribute.

Oh wow, yeah pvp is bad. I either forgot or I intentionally blocked it out becuase they can be so toxic that it pushes you away.
If you play less than me you're a filthy noob casual. If you play more than me you're a no-life elitest jerk.
I love when the Elitist rants. I’m like, Congrats you’ve proclaimed yourself King of the Nerds. Here’s your crown.
Elitism is an attitude seen every where. There are folks that put in a lot of time and effort into any given activity, striving to be the best they can be, and look down on others that do not put forth the same amount of effort and investment (there's probably some good amount of insecurity tied to the individual, as well). I was in therapy once and the doc told me "You can't get mad at people for doing something differently than you would." This one sentence struck a chord in me and I'll never forget it.

Elitism is a poor attitude, but it is one you live with every day. It's the guy on the touch football field screaming at his teammates, the gamer flaming people in his group for being "bad," your coworker telling you how much of a crappy job you did on that report and how they'd do it better, and any other examples of condescension you can think of. It's life. It sucks, but ya just put one foot forward each day and plow through the BS.
ehh to each their own

all it is sadly is people that feel their self worth is tied to pixels in a game.
be it talking down to others or calling people whom try to give advice names it all boils down to the same thing.
if a game is how you feel complete then more power to ya.

i just feel people need to keep their opinions to them selves and let other play how they choose.
10/10/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Neocleo
10/10/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Saitama
My fav elites are the pvp ones that claim to be good but everyone else is scum.. then the scoreboard at the end shows them as being the ones to least contribute.

Oh wow, yeah pvp is bad. I either forgot or I intentionally blocked it out becuase they can be so toxic that it pushes you away.

The ones who complain that people aren't doing a good enough job defending objectives when the only 2 people who are trying to do that are getting wiped while THEY are fighting in the mid the whole time.
10/10/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Neocleo
It seems as if it is really a hot topic now and I just don’t get it. I mean I have bumped into people that think they are God’s gift to WoW but strangely enough it’s come from both casual and hard core alike. I guess it’s the elitist part that baffles me since I find that less to do with skill and more with attitude.

I mean this is a game right? Whether you are good or bad, play a lot or a little, Alliance or Horde, it’s still a game. We are not saving lives or curing cancer here.

Currently, I have a lot of free time and as such have been able to play more but I don’t think I’m better than a person who plays less (that’s just stupid). I do my thing which currently is farming the heck out of AP and collect my toys and such cause I’m a hoarder (thankfully only in game), count my gold and also have been trying to push harder content. Does that make me better than anyone else? Absolutely not! I just can’t grasp the thinking behind elitism in a game at all. Actually the concept of elitism baffles me irl too. Looking down on people serves no purpose and seems incredibly counterproductive.

Anyway, I just don’t comprehend the attitude. Sorry for rambling.

It's pretty simple.
It comes down to this: If you're doing something, why do it wrong or bad?

People who find sucking at games fun are people who tolerate mediocrity, they do it not only in games, they do it everywhere but they think it's "allowed" in a game because "it's just a game". It's not "just a game". It's time, time that we all have and we all value differently. People who find their fun in doing things incorrectly in the game and wasting everyone's time are a problem. Games are about overcoming the challenges, every single players should have this attitude, saying anything that comes close to "it's okay to suck it's just a game" is the opposite of a gamers mentality.
It's the cellphone player mentality, which is nowhere near what gamers are.

There's plenty of places in WoW where people can miss interrupts, body pull everything and mess up their rotations. These places are called world quests, where whatever you do doesn't impare anyone's enjoyment of the game. When you play with others, play well, don't play bad, playing bad is not okay.

It's not just a game, in a group, the game is only 20% yours, 80% everybody else's time, you're not entitled to play the incorrect way that you enjoy, everybody has to play together to have fun and failing is not fun, so just play well.

BTW it's only an elitist attitude in the perspective of people who tolerate mediocrity, everyone who thrives to better themselves in what they do only see this as the normal way of life.
10/10/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Troodrood
and those who think that everyone who doesn't do everything exactly the way they do are doing life wrong.

omg....flashbacks.
I have a friend of years who is like this with everything he does. If you dont do everything he does, in exact detail, then you are unworthy and nothing you are doing is productive or meaningful.
God thats annoying.
10/10/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Paara

People who find sucking at games fun are people who tolerate mediocrity, they do it not only in games, they do it everywhere but they think it's "allowed" in a game because "it's just a game". It's not "just a game".

uh..yes...it IS 'just a game' and its quite disturbing to hear anyone say its anything more than a game or that even an iota of it has to be taken seriously or is more than a game.
YOU can do as you wish with it but many of US see it for what it is....pixels on a flat panel monitor that has absolutely ZERO bearing on anything of any actual importance in life.

I worked 14 hour days 6 days a week for over a decade, friend.
I dont need an overly zealous gamer telling me that I need to take pixels on a screen more seriously.
I play this game to relax and enjoy myself.
it IS a game and that is all it will ever be.
Also I forgot to mention people don't know what words mean. Casual has to do with the amount of time you play (per week or whatever) while "being elitist" is an attitude, it has nothing to do with amount of time playing. Most elitists are very casual since they are better at the game so they require less time to get things done.

Ironically, those who are wrongly called casual cuz they are not as good at the game play the most because they take forever to accomplish anything.

Hordcore gamer is the real term when talking about people who play a lot. They can be good or bad, doesn't matter, it's based on time playing, not talent.
10/10/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Gronck
ehh to each their own

all it is sadly is people that feel their self worth is tied to pixels in a game.
be it talking down to others or calling people whom try to give advice names it all boils down to the same thing.
if a game is how you feel complete then more power to ya.

i just feel people need to keep their opinions to them selves and let other play how they choose.
that.

10/10/2018 01:14 PMPosted by Paara
Casual has to do with the amount of time you play

Agreed.
I am very casual. If i dont like some quest or whatever, I just dont do it.
And Im very sure I play MUCH more than most players. Im almost ashamed to even give an estimation of the number of hours I put in in any given week. Lets just say it'd be a full time job with tons of overtime.
Soon as Bliz charges a Casual Monthly Fee and an Elitist Monthly Fee I'll give two shotz.
Casuals: “we pay the same we deserve what the hardcore players get”

So-called ‘elitists’: “you pay for access to the servers. If you don’t spend the time to do things you shouldn’t get things. So no, you don’t deserve the same things we get for spending hours when you spend minutes”

I fall in the elitist camp and I don’t even play hardcore anymore. You deserve nothing. You get what you play (in time) for.
Typically elitist people in this game are inferior IRL so they try and put people down in the game to feel better about themselves.
10/10/2018 01:22 PMPosted by Archona
So no, you don’t deserve the same things we get for spending hours when you spend minutes”

so does that mean I deserve far more than you do if I play the game 14 hours a day, 7 days a week?
Sorry but its not about time spent, otherwise Id own this game.
We live in a world we opportunistic people exploit small minds by polarizing every conversation in an attempt at divide and conquer. It is a staple of social media, politics, sports and now video games too.

Some individuals are smart and see through this. People, collectively, are dumb and instinctively run to the herd. Casual vs Elite is just another case of this black and white mentality and indulging in it makes us all worse off.
I think you'll find that most people who are confident about themselves and their abilities don't feel the need to slap labels on themselves or others.
10/10/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Paara
10/10/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Neocleo
It seems as if it is really a hot topic now and I just don’t get it. I mean I have bumped into people that think they are God’s gift to WoW but strangely enough it’s come from both casual and hard core alike. I guess it’s the elitist part that baffles me since I find that less to do with skill and more with attitude.

I mean this is a game right? Whether you are good or bad, play a lot or a little, Alliance or Horde, it’s still a game. We are not saving lives or curing cancer here.

Currently, I have a lot of free time and as such have been able to play more but I don’t think I’m better than a person who plays less (that’s just stupid). I do my thing which currently is farming the heck out of AP and collect my toys and such cause I’m a hoarder (thankfully only in game), count my gold and also have been trying to push harder content. Does that make me better than anyone else? Absolutely not! I just can’t grasp the thinking behind elitism in a game at all. Actually the concept of elitism baffles me irl too. Looking down on people serves no purpose and seems incredibly counterproductive.

Anyway, I just don’t comprehend the attitude. Sorry for rambling.

It's pretty simple.

People who find sucking at games fun are people who tolerate mediocrity, they do it not only in games, they do it everywhere but they think it's "allowed" in a game because "it's just a game". It's not "just a game". It's time, time that we all have and we all value differently. People who find their fun in doing things incorrectly in the game and wasting everyone's time are a problem. Games are about overcoming the challenges, every single players should have this attitude, saying anything that comes close to "it's okay to suck it's just a game" is the opposite of a gamers mentality.
It's the cellphone player mentality, which is nowhere near what gamers are.

There's plenty of places in WoW where people can miss interrupts, body pull everything and mess up their rotations. These places are called world quests, where whatever you do doesn't impare anyone's enjoyment of the game. When you play with others, play well, don't play bad, playing bad is not okay.

It's not just a game, in a group, the game is only 20% yours, 80% everybody else's time, you're not entitled to play the incorrect way that you enjoy, everybody has to play together to have fun and failing is not fun, so just play well.

BTW it's only an elitist attitude in the perspective of people who tolerate mediocrity, everyone who thrives to better themselves in what they do only see this as the normal way of life.

Ok, I see your point and honestly I have been called a try hard before but does that mean it’s ok to look down on others due to a different choice of play style. I’ve had good times with all sorts of cool people that approach the game differently and I’ve never seen the need to think I’m better than them. That’s the part of Elitism I just don’t get.
Maybe I’m just crazy.
10/10/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Jezabel
I think you'll find that most people who are confident about themselves and their abilities don't feel the need to slap labels on themselves or others.

You see, BINGO! This makes sense to me.