I don’t understand this Casual/Elitest thing?

General Discussion
10/10/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Dertbag
We live in a world we opportunistic people exploit small minds by polarizing every conversation in an attempt at divide and conquer. It is a staple of social media, politics, sports and now video games too.

Some individuals are smart and see through this. People, collectively, are dumb and instinctively run to the herd. Casual vs Elite is just another case of this black and white mentality and indulging in it makes us all worse off.

This is really good. Thank you
That why it seems so counterproductive to me.
10/10/2018 01:22 PMPosted by Archona
Casuals: “we pay the same we deserve what the hardcore players get”

So-called ‘elitists’: “you pay for access to the servers. If you don’t spend the time to do things you shouldn’t get things. So no, you don’t deserve the same things we get for spending hours when you spend minutes”

I fall in the elitist camp and I don’t even play hardcore anymore. You deserve nothing. You get what you play (in time) for.

The biggest issue is people dont know the different between casual and entitled as stated in the post i quoted. You got the elitist part right as someone said there a different between elitist and hardcore as one is an attitude the other is time spent dedication. A casual is someone who plays casually whether its a limit time frame or plays with no hardset goals or must get this done. They play when they want and enjoy when they play. An entitled person is someone who believes they should be rewarded or praised just because regardless of how much time or dedication they put forward.
10/10/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Neocleo
It seems as if it is really a hot topic now and I just don’t get it. I mean I have bumped into people that think they are God’s gift to WoW but strangely enough it’s come from both casual and hard core alike. I guess it’s the elitist part that baffles me since I find that less to do with skill and more with attitude.

I mean this is a game right? Whether you are good or bad, play a lot or a little, Alliance or Horde, it’s still a game. We are not saving lives or curing cancer here.

Currently, I have a lot of free time and as such have been able to play more but I don’t think I’m better than a person who plays less (that’s just stupid). I do my thing which currently is farming the heck out of AP and collect my toys and such cause I’m a hoarder (thankfully only in game), count my gold and also have been trying to push harder content. Does that make me better than anyone else? Absolutely not! I just can’t grasp the thinking behind elitism in a game at all. Actually the concept of elitism baffles me irl too. Looking down on people serves no purpose and seems incredibly counterproductive.

Anyway, I just don’t comprehend the attitude. Sorry for rambling.
I have found that the people who really really need to lord their gameplay skills over others don't really have anything else going for them irl. This is their real life. Out there is just something they do until they can be here where they can be gods.
10/10/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Troodrood
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are like, "I'm ok, you're okay", and those who think that everyone who doesn't do everything exactly the way they do are doing life wrong.

There are elite players who are very good at the game. And there are casuals who don't care much about being very good at the game.

And then there are those who feel the need to identify with the elite, even though they are in no way elite themselves and would be disadvantaged if what the worst elitists want were to happen.

So what we have is elite players who think everyone who isn't elite is doing life wrong, sycophants, and wannabes posting nonsense threads blaming everything wrong with the game on people who don't care whether they are elite or just having fun farming mounts or whatever. Because these people consider people who are okay with "whatever" to be threatening their way of life and their reason for existing.
Uuuuuh... you forgot a category: how about casuals that are good at what they do?
10/10/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Paara
It seems as if it is really a hot topic now and I just don’t get it. I mean I have bumped into people that think they are God’s gift to WoW but strangely enough it’s come from both casual and hard core alike. I guess it’s the elitist part that baffles me since I find that less to do with skill and more with attitude.

I mean this is a game right? Whether you are good or bad, play a lot or a little, Alliance or Horde, it’s still a game. We are not saving lives or curing cancer here.

Currently, I have a lot of free time and as such have been able to play more but I don’t think I’m better than a person who plays less (that’s just stupid). I do my thing which currently is farming the heck out of AP and collect my toys and such cause I’m a hoarder (thankfully only in game), count my gold and also have been trying to push harder content. Does that make me better than anyone else? Absolutely not! I just can’t grasp the thinking behind elitism in a game at all. Actually the concept of elitism baffles me irl too. Looking down on people serves no purpose and seems incredibly counterproductive.

It's pretty simple.
It comes down to this: If you're doing something, why do it wrong or bad?

People who find sucking at games fun are people who tolerate mediocrity, they do it not only in games, they do it everywhere but they think it's "allowed" in a game because "it's just a game". It's not "just a game". It's time, time that we all have and we all value differently. People who find their fun in doing things incorrectly in the game and wasting everyone's time are a problem. Games are about overcoming the challenges, every single players should have this attitude, saying anything that comes close to "it's okay to suck it's just a game" is the opposite of a gamers mentality.
It's the cellphone player mentality, which is nowhere near what gamers are.

There's plenty of places in WoW where people can miss interrupts, body pull everything and mess up their rotations. These places are called world quests, where whatever you do doesn't impare anyone's enjoyment of the game. When you play with others, play well, don't play bad, playing bad is not okay.

It's not just a game, in a group, the game is only 20% yours, 80% everybody else's time, you're not entitled to play the incorrect way that you enjoy, everybody has to play together to have fun and failing is not fun, so just play well.

BTW it's only an elitist attitude in the perspective of people who tolerate mediocrity, everyone who thrives to better themselves in what they do only see this as the normal way of life.
You have a finite amount of time each day ok. Everyone makes choices on where their best efforts are going to go. When you put more brainpower and effort into one thing you are not going to be able to do that with all things that day,week,year. You might think you are just good at everything but trust me you are falling short somewhere so you can be good at wow or good at your job or a good parent, student etc.
10/10/2018 12:28 PMPosted by Beezlebubba
everyone thinks that they are elite. and that everyone outside of their direct circle of friends are casual.
I disagree. I know I am not elite. however, honestly I feel like there are very few players who are elite. Mythic raiders? Elite. Their are probably also some PvPers who are elite but I don't know enough about PvP to say where those people fall.

Hard core and casual are the two categories I would say are opposite of each other although I tend to see things as a slider so I would say, "I am more hardcore than my friends because I am the only one of us that raids." But I also think it is true that "I am more casual than my guildees because they raid and do high level mythic + dungeons."

Basically I think completely different than you do. ;)
OP--

The best way I can explain things is, You are allowed to be whatever skill level you want or can be within the game. You just shouldn't bash players that are better than you and you shouldn't bash players that are worse than you.

When you do bash: It's called Bad Sportsmanship and this game is riddle with players that have no idea what that phrase means from both sides of the fence.

Nobody likes sore losers and sour winners.
my take. if you play less than 8 hours a week, you are casual. if you play more than 20 hours a week, you are hard core. if you play more than 30 hours a week, you are a loser with no life, get a job, get out of your mom's basement, stop eating Cheetos.
10/10/2018 03:15 PMPosted by Meanpal
my take. if you play less than 8 hours a week, you are casual. if you play more than 20 hours a week, you are hard core. if you play more than 30 hours a week, you are a loser with no life, get a job, get out of your mom's basement, stop eating Cheetos.

Lol, now you have me curious to hear about 40 hours a week. Damn, that would make WoW like your job.
So many good posts! This has been an interesting discussion and I just want to thank everyone for their input.
git gud!
They're just misused words. People seem to think casual = bad, which is completely wrong. Casual just means you spend relatively little time on the game, and you may or may not raid seriously. There are definitely casual guilds that are capable of getting Cutting Edge every tier.

Most of the time the term "elitist" is thrown around, it's the result of players expecting others to pull their weight. E.g. it's not elitist to reject somebody from a Heroic pug when that applicant can only get 10th percentile Heroic parses. Being that low consistently means you're being carried.

Nothing to concern yourself with. It’s a discussion that has appeared in the forums many times over the years. It gets started when players playing a game (as you pointed out) get the strange idea that what they are doing in said game actually matters.......at all.
If you are better than them you're elitist, if you don't play the game their way you're casual.
It seems as if it is really a hot topic now and I just don’t get it.

Really? I haven't seen a single Elitist/Hardcore vs Casual complaint since like......MoP maybe?
Its an RPG, a fantasy setting. People want to be elite they can be.

Lol, I know they are just RL nubs...
I mean this is a game right?
If it's just a game, how do people manage to be so bad at it?
10/10/2018 12:31 PMPosted by Saitama
Filthy casuals! you have to play 24/7 360 days out of the year to be elite! those missing 5 days are for bathroom time.

5 days ?, get yourself a !@#$ bucket , man.
10/10/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Troodrood
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are like, "I'm ok, you're okay", and those who think that everyone who doesn't do everything exactly the way they do are doing life wrong.

There are elite players who are very good at the game. And there are casuals who don't care much about being very good at the game.

And then there are those who feel the need to identify with the elite, even though they are in no way elite themselves and would be disadvantaged if what the worst elitists want were to happen.

So what we have is elite players who think everyone who isn't elite is doing life wrong, sycophants, and wannabes posting nonsense threads blaming everything wrong with the game on people who don't care whether they are elite or just having fun farming mounts or whatever. Because these people consider people who are okay with "whatever" to be threatening their way of life and their reason for existing.

You forgot to talk about casuals who think everyone who is elite is doing life wrong. The Blizzard sycophants and wannabes who are gobbling up every anti-fun and incomplete and shady changes that Blizzard makes to the game.

There's a large part of the WoW community that puts down "elites" and players who want to play the content at their heightened speed of progression. Blizzard has capitalized on this by making changes to the mechanics of elite players and elite progression systems and talking about how it helps the casuals who 90% of the time will never run into said mechanic or situation.
10/10/2018 05:10 PMPosted by Pict
If it's just a game, how do people manage to be so bad at it?
I mean if it's just a game, why should I care if I'm bad or good? After all, it's just a game.

Just saying.