MM Hunter PTR 8.1 updates.

Hunter
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
That said, I can't help but partially agree at least from a feel department that aimed shot does feel incredibly weak.

IMHO, Aimed Shot should also benefit from precise shots, esp during trueshot because it is so hard to keep everything on cd with it A. Not giving haste, thus leaving the gcd to throttle the rotation and B. Everything coming off cd so quickly.
I think that my perspective has been warped by huge steady aim crits. While it may feel bad for a little bit eventually shifting emphasis into other abilities is much needed. Aimed shot will still be your biggest number you can see and empower your other abilities.

Being more focus capped in Trueshot may make talents line streamline and the tier 1 arcane shot focus cost reduction one more attractive.
10/18/2018 06:59 PMPosted by Gunshy
Oh I don't care to prove it to you. Do your own testing.
To make baseless claims counter to the evidential support that I have given is not the best way to have a discussion, assuming that is what you wanted to do when you said,

10/18/2018 02:59 PMPosted by Gunshy
This is all factually incorrect as I've been testing it for an hour or so now. Two arcane shots are superior to one Aimed Shot between 80 and 20%.
in response to me.

Nevertheless, I did do my own testing, and the numbers were precisely as I stated in my post.

Of course these things could change with azerite traits. I don't have any Arcane Flurry, so i can't say for sure how much it would increase it, but according to Wowhead, one Arcane Flurry trait would give 209 damage (x2) at my current ilvl (355). That would provide a 9.2% damage increase to Arcane and would reduce the DPF of Aimed to only 11% more (from 20%). The DPCT of Aimed would still be 33% higher though.

That doesn't take in to account the Precise Shots part of Aimed Shot. When doing so, the DPCT of Aimed + Precise Shots with one Arcane Flurry is 53% higher, and the DPF is 38% higher. So still quite a bit. So even with Arcane Flurry traits, you absolutely want to cast Aimed Shot.
I will say that with two surging shots and one focus fire the damage that rapid fire is putting out is ridiculous. It has taken aimed spot. Now 50% of my damage is coming from that one ability. :)

It is going to shred people in pvp. Nerf inc maybe.
One rapid fire cast with streamline and those three traits, 126k on the raid dummy.
10/18/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Gunshy
One rapid fire cast with streamline and those three traits, 126k on the raid dummy.
Where are you getting the pieces with these traits?
For Sniper shot. There's gonna have to be some kind of debuff on it for PVE use rofl. A world boss you say?! OKAY! downs it in like what? 10-20seconds. LOL.

Blizz messed up with this before rofl. Anyone rem pre-WoD prot paladins outhealing the entire raid on IoC or AV boss? Heals for % of target's hp. LOL. I rem going in seeing boss at like 20% and getting boss to 100% on my own with a couple taps on that then LoH.
10/18/2018 08:27 PMPosted by Masoschism
10/18/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Gunshy
Where are you getting the pieces with these traits?
Biq Boi Tauren by rep vendor.
10/18/2018 08:27 PMPosted by Ironblood
For Sniper shot. There's gonna have to be some kind of debuff on it for PVE use rofl. A world boss you say?! OKAY! downs it in like what? 10-20seconds. LOL.
Greater Pyroblast does a decent amount, but not a percent based amount against PvE targets above a certain amount of health (80k or so). I am sure Sniper will be the same.

Not that it really matters, since atm Sniper Shot does zero damage. It's also quite jarring having that 4+ second gap when you can't do anything from range. The ranged buff needs to be extended to at least 10 seconds. Its just awful with that gap.
10/18/2018 08:14 PMPosted by Gunshy
I will say that with two surging shots and one focus fire the damage that rapid fire is putting out is ridiculous. It has taken aimed spot. Now 50% of my damage is coming from that one ability. :)
I just tested it. It is broken. It says,

"Rapid Fire damage is increased by up to 569 per shot fired. This damage starts lower and increases per shot of Rapid Fire. Aimed Shot has a 15% chance to reset the cooldown of Rapid Fire."

What actually happens is it adds that 569 to the FIRST shot, then adds 356 per shot cumulatively, for every shot, until it reaches 10 shots (for a total of 4129 additional damage per shot), then the last three (from streamline) are at that max damage. That is SOOOO broken, and not as advertised. Thats from just one. With two pieces, it stacks. I do "one shot" damage every time I press the button, without fail. That will be changed to be as advertised soon I am sure.

Focused Fire on the other hand, only adds 337 per shot, not cumulative. Its much more reasonable. I think that will be a go to trait on one piece for the focus regen + decent damage.
I just tested 3 Arcane Flurry traits to see if Aimed was still worth casting when maximizing Arcane Shot.

Aimed

DPCT: 2% greater than maxed Arcane Shot (not much, but its there)
DPF: 7% loss

However, when you factor in Precise Shots also...

Aimed + Precise Shots + 3 Arcane Flurry

DPCT: 37% greater
DPF: 34% greater

So even when trying to absolutely maximize Arcane Shot, its STILL worth casting over two Arcane Shots.

Also, it should be noted, Arcane has a 20% chance to drop 5 seconds off of Rapid Fire with Lethal Shots (a terrible trait imo), but Aimed (with Surging Shots) has a 15% chance to completely reset it. I think Aimed comes out ahead there as well over 16-17 seconds. I haven't done the math on that though, so I can't say for sure. We will call that one a wash.
So far my analyses, not counting the broken Surging Shots trait, do not support the fears people have been throwing out there wrt the suspected new meta.

Having said that, all the things I have said before still hold true. Precise Shots needs to go. Some of that damage needs to go into Aimed Shot (or Aimed needs some sort of armor pen), and the rest needs to go into its own shot. It also needs help in other areas as already mentioned in this thread. Overall the damage is still pretty low.

Having said THAT, its so much better now. I really like Explosive Shot. I don't know if I can land Bursting Shot in PvP, but the knockback is meaningful now. Being able to disengage during Rapid Fire, as small a change as that is, feels really good for some reason.

Even the Steady Shot extending Snare is quite nice, and can be effectively done on two mobs (and people) at the same time, assuming you have the Steady Focus talent. Btw, casting Concussive Shot in between Steady Shots does not break Steady Focus. That is quite nice.

This is only a good beginning though, I really hope they listen to feedback. We need to start up a thread on the PTR forums.
10/18/2018 09:56 PMPosted by Masoschism
This is only a good beginning though, I really hope they listen to feedback. We need to start up a thread on the PTR forums.
Lead the way. Also what are your thoughts on having precise shots affect aimed shot as well? (Because trueshot feels clunky as heck and I can't keep everything on cd with it)... Maybe if it lowered the gcd?
Dear god MM is going to be an absolute monster in pvp with these changes. 150k+ over the duration of a double tap rapid fire with those traits, on top of an explosive shot explosion is going to be horrifying.
10/18/2018 10:29 PMPosted by Yjjial
Also what are your thoughts on having precise shots affect aimed shot as well?
I'm not a fan of having Aimed Shot affect the next Aimed Shot 10+ seconds later. Precise Shots is bad because it is just a brainless multiplier that demands both focus and GCDs. It needs to go because of all the bad things it does. which I outlined in great detail here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769577720#post-4

Some other effect that affects Aimed Shot is some other effect.

10/18/2018 10:29 PMPosted by Yjjial
trueshot feels clunky as heck and I can't keep everything on cd with it)... Maybe if it lowered the gcd?

I agree. I really like it in theory, but it has some focus issues, and the slowness of Steady Shot really grinds it to a halt. I do need more practice with it though. Its OK imo if you can't cast all your stuff during Trueshot. I'm OK with it completely changing things up. In fact, I think that's great. The focus thing is an issue though. Maybe the Rapid Fire trait will fix that. I will have to test it.
I'm not a fan of having Aimed Shot affect the next Aimed Shot 10+ seconds later. Precise Shots is bad because it is just a brainless multiplier that demands both focus and GCDs. It needs to go because of all the bad things it does. which I outlined in great detail here:

Hmm... fair. What about my other suggestion to increase the cap of precise shots to prevent clipping?

10/18/2018 11:45 PMPosted by Masoschism
I agree. I really like it in theory, but it has some focus issues, and the slowness of Steady Shot really grinds it to a halt. I do need more practice with it though. Its OK imo if you can't cast all your stuff during Trueshot. I'm OK with it completely changing things up. In fact, I think that's great. The focus thing is an issue though. Maybe the Rapid Fire trait will fix that. I will have to test it.
See I'm not having focus issues with it. Rapid fire is always up. At most I might do maybe 1 or 2 steady shots across the entire buff.
10/19/2018 12:12 AMPosted by Yjjial
increase the cap of precise shots to prevent clipping?
That doesn't prevent clipping. It has to do with the globals and focus Precise Shots uses that don't allow those focus and globals to be used on other things that need them, like talents that cost focus and globals. The more focus and globals a talent uses, the worse it is. That is why Piercing Shot and Serpent Sting are the most affected, and AMoC (at 30 focus and 1 global) is the least affected.

This particular problem with Precise Shots is that it uses up to 12 globals and 180 focus in one minute (at 20% haste). On average its 9 globals and 135 focus. It leaves no room for anything else.

A shot, like old Chimera Shot that cost say, 75 focus and 5 globals per minute that did the same amount of damage as all the Precise Shots damage would leave much more room for focus costing talents.

Even if Precise Shots were reduced to just one proc per Aimed, that would largely solve the problem. It wouldn't solve all the other problems Precise Shots has, but at least the math would work out. Of course, you still couldn't take ALL the focus costing talents (especially Piercing Shot), but at least you could take a couple.
10/19/2018 12:12 AMPosted by Yjjial
See I'm not having focus issues with it. Rapid fire is always up. At most I might do maybe 1 or 2 steady shots across the entire buff.
I tried it again after I posted. Those 1 or 2 SS take up a lot of the time of Trueshot, since they cast so slow. Nevertheless, I think they may not be necessary at all with Focused Fire. I need more practice with it.
Any ideas what the trueshot window looks like? AS, AS, rapid fire, AS, arcane shot, steady shot, AS, Rapid fire, AS, arcane shot?
- Steady Shot will now increase the duration of Concussive Shot on the target by 3 seconds. This will work on a Concussive Shot from any friendly Hunter, not just your own Concussive Shot.
Well, that's...unexpected. I guess it's better than each steady shot giving me 5% off at Java Barn. Just as pointless outside PvP though.

Lethal Shots - (Steady Shot has a 25% chance to cause your next Aimed Shot or Rapid Fire to be guaranteed critical strikes)removed. Arcane Shot and Multi-Shot have a 20% chance to reduce the cooldown of Rapid Fire by 5.0 sec.
Just...why? I only recently got the Steady Aim AZ traits to make spamming this skill a viable means of regaining focus AND building up an Aimed Shot crit proc.

NEW Trueshot - Reduces the cooldown of your Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire abilities by 60%, and causes Aimed Shot to cast 50% faster.
Now that's what I'm talking about!