Add-On Viability in Classic - Yes or No?

Classic Discussion
As is everyone is aware, addons can be very useful in helping players in improving their game play in a number of ways.

We have addons such as Details Damage Meter, Skada, and Recount which gives players a graph that displays DPS, Total Damage, Healing, etc.

Then we have other addons like ElvUI, Kui Nameplates, Threat Plate that shows information displayed above players, npcs, mobs, and bosses.

Also, we have all the miscellaneous addons that improve the player experience by a huge margin that destroys the balance in certain aspect of the game. Such as:

Trade Skill Master - Streamlines gold making processes throughout the auction house.

Healbot - A specialized raid frame of which healers can play whack-a-mole on players giving a ridiculous and overpowered advantage.

TellMeeWhen / Weak Auras - A tracking type UI that displays timing of skills, buffs, debuffs, and even rotation.

ElvUI - A comprehensive UI overhaul over Blizzard's default UI that does many things like Resizing interfaces, nameplates, chat, auto selling, etc.

Anyway, my question is. Should we limit some of these addons in WoW Classic?

Compared to the vanilla days, we didn't have as much as we did now, as they contain a lot more functionality and massive advantage before then.

Personally, I hope they restrict the usage of addons such as Auctionator, Auctioneer, TSM(Trade Skill Master), Healbot, and the likes.

Since they are considered as automation program that scans and posts/undercuts for you.

What do you guys think?
Should blizzard permit or restrict a certain many addons for the Classic WoW?
Will they ruin the Classic experience or will it elevate the game to a high standard?

Let me know in the comments!
So you want to control how players play a game ?

I disagree. Let the players decide what addons they want to use.

And who really knows how popular making wow:classic addons will become ?
And wow:classic may not have all the numbers available that retail does to support these addons.
10/18/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Brockthorn
So you want to control how players play a game ?

I disagree. Let the players decide what addons they want to use.

And who really knows how popular making wow:classic addons will become ?
And wow:classic may not have all the numbers available that retail does to support these addons.

There are some cases when you allow players play in a certain way they want to that gives them abusement status over others like LFG tools which goes the exact experience of Vanilla. But honestly, I think you're right that it is the decisions between the player and developers to decide the API that provides towards Classic.
Current retail as so many addons to tell you what to to and when to do it that players have forgotten how to strategize/remember what goes on.

Vanilla wasn't all about damage and focus down mobs.
Utility played a huge part and different utilities were used based on what class was in your group. Pure dps had utilities like sap/sheep that helped the group survive and that was needed more than "focus and dps down X".

There's a lot more to the game than raiding and high dps.
But you will always have those players that only focus on that and not the rest of the game.

It never bothered me because I don't play that way and didn't really associate with those groups.
But there were addons in classic?

Does no one remember old school decursive? Oof.
Vanilla had plenty of add-ons that pretty much played the game for you, too.

If I remember right, that was originally one of the reasons that they started making raid bosses more complex in terms of mechanics: They started designing around the idea that raiders were going to have those add-ons.

Though I'll be interested to see what they do about the add-on API in Classic. If they're using the modern client that will have the modern API, and I imagine it would be quite the undertaking to revert it back to 1.12.
Personally, the only add-on I'm grabbing is a map coords.
I was the worst at forgetting where a quest giver was hiding once I was done a quest and map coords will save my sanity.
10/18/2018 08:12 AMPosted by Laszaract

I think they should definitely not allow the level of automation that the earliest forms of Healbot and Decursive had. Then again, I suspect we'll be looking mostly at the modern API.

However, I also suspect there will be things the modern API can do that just won't work with WOW: Classic because the data may not be there and some of the commands may not even have code to work with. In fact, I hope they have a relatively easy way to create a "snapshot in time" method of dealing with addons and the API. Retail's API will keep changing over time, as will the basic UI, and the WOW: Classic development team isn't going to still be around to minimize the chances of addons being broken with every Retail patch and expansion.
If people want to ruin their experience in vanilla by having new addons where the game gets played for them, whatever man.

You can't stop it without disabling addons all together. And it won't really make you a better player besides an aggro meter which is really a necessity imo. The thing that always kills me is when people say "We know all the fights bruh its going to be so easy", yet when they are going into a new raid you have a million addons that say "GO LEFT" "ATTACK THIS MOB" "SPREAD OUT". If you know the fights so well why do you need these?

Personally I would suggest you just get an aggro meter, maybe a dps meter if you would like to track your big crits, and a loot table. Honestly I can't really see you needing much else if you want to really relive/experience classic the way it was/is.

Side note, screw quest helpers seriously
I just hope they don't break with the frequency of wow retail given no new content patches.

retail was like every time blizzard sneezed and changed a tooltip addons would script error and need downloading all over again :S
vanilla had very awesome custom ui and addons including all of the ones that the op listed basically so what are you talking about
10/18/2018 08:12 AMPosted by Laszaract
What do you guys think?
Will they ruin the Classic experience or will it elevate the game to a high standard?

I expect that Blizzard will keep its policy of providing relevant information to add-on designers.

The question will be whether or not the add-on designers will want to invest the time in re-creating their products to work with classic. It's not likely to be line-item-by-line-item the exact same as the original, since it has to be made to work with the current architecture. The add-on folks will have to know what the "hooks" are they will need to make their add-on functional with the new code, and even if they resurrect archived copies of their products, the new "hooks" will have to be incorporated or the add-on won't work.

I don't envision a cornucopia of add-ons for classic. I can't see the benefit to the add-on designers nor justification for a HUGE commitment to reworking the more bulky add-ons. UI modifiers? Probably some simple iterations. DBM? Not likely, too much to do to make it work. I could be wrong, but .....
I want ElvUI. if i cant have it i will use Bartender. I NEED to be able to personalize my spells for my Gamepad and Mouse. Threat Meter would be good too since i plan on Tanking. DBM would be sweet simply for the countdown timer and message spammer alone. Maybe a Swing Timer for leveling, but really i've only seen it used on PServer videos for Warrior leveling so if its not available im not butthurt.
I believe that all add-ons no matter their impact* fall under the bar of player agency that is implied in the injunction "just don't use it".meaning when a player tells you to just not fly if it ruins your game experience this is not a convincing position. it is unconvincing because large segments of the game revolves around flying it is built-in it is right in your face at all times.but add-ons by their very nature require explicit seeking outside of the game.yes players can still require them but again that's a requirement of the players not the game. Thus add ons can be virtually unrestrained while flying for example requires developer input. forgive the formatting mobile posting sucks.

*within the context Blizz determines appropriate for addons, i mean