Asmongold enabling Co-Dependant Forum Toxicity

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
It seems you did a pretty good job to look smart. Psychology Today links? Man, you are a Professor for sure!

Cult? Jesus? Really? I mean... REALLY? That was hilarious.

So... where do you draw the line between "Cult Leading" and express his opinion? That and the fact that maaaaaany YouTubers and other people have pointed out that BfA is a bad expansion? Bellular, Nixxiom or Preach, for example.

Where do you draw the line between Asmongold "brainwashing people" and him representing a lot of people?

But dont worry, really. You linking his video gave him a lot of views, which means a lot of money for him. Also, more people will know Asmongold now, so I assume he's grateful there too. And he will react to your post, so your co-dependant relationship with him will get fulfilled. Also, he's gonna make fun of your LFR Hero character.

The circle is complete.

Congratulations, you played yourself.
Holy ShT Alex Jones plays wow.
If you agree or disagree with him is irrelevant, the man made a lot of valid points in his video.

Blizzard has gone completely backwards with this expansion. Trying to panic fix it with an azerite gear vendor in 8.1 shows me that they're starting to realize what a colossal failure that system has been already.

WoW is going downhill fast imo and it doesn't seem to be slowing down with the terrible design decisions they keep making.

It sucks because I really want this game to succeed but it doesn't look too bright from here.
Being this upset that a Youtuber criticizes the game really just affirms his point.

If the game was truly well off, no one would be here making counter posts, or trying to do unpaid damage control.
Shut up OP.
Honestly, I would put the blame more on McConnell. Watching some of the Asmongold stuff out of curiosity I noticed McConnell eggs Asmongold and his viewers on quite a bit, keeps telling Asmongold to rally his viewers and use his position as a big streamer to direct his viewers to do and say stuff to further their own vision and cause.

I mean, while Asmongold has many of the same view points he is honestly a lot more passive on keeping it contained within his stream. McConnell on the other hand seems bent on getting Asmongold and his viewers on making as much noise as possible. In fact, from the video I am basing my opinion on, it sounds like McConnell was blocked by the BlizzardCS twitter since he made a comment along the lines of "I would post myself, but I can't"(Heavily paraphrased from memory) So obviously, that can not be a good sign...

I don't know, the more I look at Asmongold the more I feel like really the blame sits squarely on his community and who he keeps as company. Asmongold is just taking a lot of flack I feel for it, I honestly think McConnell is a bad influence but he is Asmongold's friend so who am I to say anything.

Friends before forums... or some other corny statement. *shrug*

Edit: Also TC, the community has not really changed since Vanilla and recently there was a history lesson of a thread to remind people of that.
Jesus had long hair that a lion would be proud of. how dare you compare him to asmonbald.
10/19/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Lilithyra
10/19/2018 08:11 PMPosted by Stryper
With that said his state of BFA was spot on, everything he stated was true, this is the worse expansion ever!

I think what most people who detract him fail to remember is that Asmongold plays this game for a living. Sure, you may not agree with his viewpoints, but he's played this game long enough to have a pretty good grasp of when he had fun and when he didn't. It's in his best interests to play a game he enjoys, otherwise he'd hate himself. He, more than anyone on GD, wants this game to be good.

100% right there.
10/20/2018 12:30 AMPosted by Byucknah
Honestly, I would put the blame more on McConnell. Watching some of the Asmongold stuff out of curiosity I noticed McConnell eggs Asmongold and his viewers on quite a bit, keeps telling Asmongold to rally his viewers and use his position as a big streamer to direct his viewers to do and say stuff to further their own vision and cause.

I mean, while Asmongold has many of the same view points he is honestly a lot more passive on keeping it contained within his stream. McConnell on the other hand seems bent on getting Asmongold and his viewers on making as much noise as possible. In fact, from the video I am basing my opinion on, it sounds like McConnell was blocked by the BlizzardCS twitter since he made a comment along the lines of "I would post myself, but I can't"(Heavily paraphrased from memory) So obviously, that can not be a good sign...

I don't know, the more I look at Asmongold the more I feel like really the blame sits squarely on his community and who he keeps as company. Asmongold is just taking a lot of flack I feel for it, I honestly think McConnell is a bad influence but he is Asmongold's friend so who am I to say anything.

Edit: Also TC, the community has not really changed since Vanilla and recently there was a history lesson of a thread to remind people of that.

Well said, I Agree 100%
10/19/2018 08:03 PMPosted by Enabrann
Have you noticed the Wow community has become increasingly toxic after Asmongold's "State of BFA" video?

All of a sudden forum threads appear criticising Blizzard, parroting Asmongold's talking points, NOT because they want to help the game, but because they want Asmongold to react to their post.

In psychology this is known as a Co-dependant Relationship, where there is an "excessive reliance on other people for approval and a sense of identity."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codependency

Because of Asmongold's tendency to react to other people's material, especially on the Wow forums, people become encouraged to write increasingly radical and extreme posts to get his attention, and once he has reviewed the post, they feel a sense of validation.

But as more and more people become involved, this then transforms into the "Bandwagon effect", where "people do something primarily because other people are doing it, regardless of their own beliefs."
Source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/stronger-the-broken-places/201708/the-bandwagon-effect

Now what is the REAL secret as to why Asmongold is doing this?

Well the secret of the bandwagon effect, and people's need for approval from an authoritative figure such as Asmongold, is it is a form of Manipulation.

Asmongold is using his followers to initiate the change he wants in the game. For example, Asmongold wants to remove LFR, some of these "remove lfr" posts are written by people who ONLY do LFR, therefore Asmongold is making people assert an opinion that is clearly not their own.

This way Asmongold creates the illusion that a lot of people want a certain change to influence Blizzard's game design, when in fact he is the puppeteer working the strings behind the scenes.

Now this brings me to my next point of Asmongold's hold over the Wow community.....the Asmongold Cult.

A cult is defined as those that "use manipulative techniques and mind control to heighten suggestibility and subservience....The aim is to advance the goals of the group’s leaders...."
Source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/the-mind-body-connection/201407/cults-and-the-mind-body-connection

One of the ways a cult accomplishes this is to overwhelm members by using various techniques such as "lecturing on and on for hours, flashing lights, spinning around in circles, all of which assault the senses and break down a person’s ability to think."
Source: Previous

If you watch Asmongold's "The State of Battle for Azeroth"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11M9CCNGNNw

1) Asmongold is lecturing his viewers on what the game should and shouldn't be.

2) Flashing lights: Wow gameplay on one side, his face in a corner, on Twitch there would donations shout outs, chat on the right side. Visually it would be overwhelming to any viewer trying to process so many things at once.

3) Spinning around in circles: (6:03) of the Video Asmongold spins around in a circle. Also on the Island expedition he runs around the island in a circle.

Is all this a coincidence?

And I can't be the only that has noticed this, doesn't Asmongold look a bit like Jesus? The same hair colour and beard type. Another coincidence?

Now I understand that the insinuation that Asmongold is some cult leader is preposterous and absurd, but let's look at the facts:

Asmongold makes a video with certain viewpoints.

All of a sudden, General Forums is filled with posts that word for word repeat what he is saying.

Asmongold then reacts to these posts, encouraging his viewers to write even more radical posts

As Ian Fleming once said "Once is happenstance, Twice is coincidence, Three times is enemy action".

EDIT:
Nixxiom reacted to Asmongold's video, and I really agreed with what he said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZgDn7MQ0I0

At 5:38 Nixxiom said "Asmongold knows exactly what he's doing, he is not an idiot"

Asmongold is a LOT smarter than he looks

You're clearly obsessing over Nixxion, a fanboy, co-dependent, toxic, a cultist, pretend I list another overused buzzword, then another exhausted buzzword, a hater of chocolate pudding, something something SJW, a casual hating elitist, another misused buzzword, LITERALLY literal, irregardlessly an elitest jerk and high elves eye color, clearly.

"I am the man with no name. Zapp Brannigan, at your service!"
-Zapp Brannigan

Look OP, I can do it too!
10/19/2018 08:30 PMPosted by Sephrinx
Asmongold is the voice of WoW. Everything he says is the truth.

Twitch Prime btw

LOL!!!
Hey OP remember when Asmongold read your other post and made you look really stupid in front of 20k people?
I loved this thread.
It was better than "Cats"...
O_o
It's inevitable that when a video like that from a popular content creator comes out people will be reminded how much they dislike certain aspects of the game that they've gradually come to tolerate. Titanforging, for example. A very significant portion of the community hates it and has hated it since its introduction. It's just easier to brush off their opinion when they aren't all expressing it at the same time.
People have been complaining about bfa 6 months before it came out. Social toxicity is subjective, it is a metric for exactly nothing.

I mean we can point the blame all we want at whichever streamer or the hype man behind him. None of this would be happening if Blizzard didn't give us a faulty, buggy, and poorly executed product.
I really think you're overlooking the main idea here. Asmongold just wants the game to be fixed and for Blizzard to listen to the community, because he's played the game for so long and he wants the game to do good.

The main reason Mcconnell is on the stream so much now is because Asmongold has ran out of things to do, Mcconnell rarely made an appearance during Legion except in short bursts every few weeks because Asmon constantly had stream "content" to get through. Now the stream consists of him doing mog runs, maybe a transmog comp, and then him and Mcconnell talking and watching videos because he's quite literally ran out of content.

Nobody wants to watch him do warfronts or island expeditions, he doesn't like to stream raids for personal reasons and he does PvP off stream for the most part. Blame Blizzard for releasing an expansion that consists of such dull content, people will watch Asmon do throne of thunder for the 300th time but they simply will not watch him do warfronts, islands, and other BfA content because it's that damn boring.

It's actually insane how he had more stream content at the tail end of Legion than he does now, maybe this was the plan all along by Blizzard. They made an expansion with content that's so bad in order to sabotage Asmongold because they were tired of him criticizing them.
You must be new here. There's always been posts criticizing blizzard, and they usually deserve it, especially now. They delete valid criticism to pretend that everything is perfectly fine, and thats the thing he's mainly upset about. He believes he's using his platform to try and fix what he sees as a problem, and the only way blizzard ever fixes anything is if they get that people are unhappy with it, but they're deleting those posts and deleted the alpha and beta feedback forums, so there's definitely a problem.
The only people enabling it are the people that won't shut up about him.