So, why is Hollinka back?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
10/21/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Lunavale
10/21/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Nemsmess
lead combat designer

Seriously though, what does this even mean?

That's the person in charge of making sure that all of the PvP gear pieces match.
You know, so your boots don't clash with your off-hand.
I actually enjoy the stat templates for pvp. it makes it easier to find partners in arena. Good players dont get destroyed by bad players with raid gear. I'm ranting and accept full responsibility for the hate I recieve for this comment.
He's not the hero we deserve but the hero we need
considering he's coming back as lead combat designer and we haven't heard a thing about someone being fired or replaced or anything, i guess we didn't have anyone overseeing anything combat related which would explain a lot.

I know this isn't true. I know that there is someone looking into this stuff. However, there is pretty much no evidence to suggest that this is not true. Which is sad.
10/22/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Manndh
I'll play Devil's Advocate. We can all admit the previous stuff he did was not so hot. Are people not allowed to learn from their mistakes and apply that experience?

I think if you look at BFA, it's pretty clear that they don't learn from their mistakes. They had a good ground in Legion to take what worked and move with that, but they took the worse things, padded it with Styrofoam so no one gets hurt, and moved what should of been a finished product... out as an open beta test to the masses.
Swolinka has been spending the last few years getting ripped and training under Chuck Norris.

They didn’t offer him his job. He took it back.

Who else could you ask for as a combat designer? Aside from Chuck Norris himself.
10/21/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Comedy
cronyism. lots of people get jobs this way. especially, jobs where they hardly do anything. but they're fun to be around. that's more important that productivity in a lot of cases. About a third of americans get jobs this way. Then another third get jobs from nepotism. The the last third pretty much are are slaves.
pulling metrics out of your butt sounding like an edgy anarchist "the systems rigged man!!! That's why I can't get a job."
10/21/2018 04:23 PMPosted by Luonah
Anyone care to explain why is this happening?

So hunters can be ignored for another 2 years. because everybody hates hunters...
we haven't heard a thing about someone being fired or replaced or anything

I mean, it's not like company's can't and wouldn't keep secrets.
10/21/2018 04:31 PMPosted by Akston
I dunno. But I am pretty sure someone will explain to me how its the death of WoW, and a clear sign Blizzard is in desperation mode now that he is back.

It will probably be based on a reddit post, displaying inaccurate information that has since been deleted.
Hah! Most likely.
So much snark!
10/21/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Solarwynds
why would someone on the forums know?

Ah, but that's the point. We don't know. The title for this thread may as well have been "Speculation 101: Why Do You Think Holinka is Back?" That said, generally all we have for things like this is speculation, and it can be fun to guess/float ideas/generally discuss them and their potential outcomes.

10/21/2018 04:59 PMPosted by Sorelai
The executive producer (J Allen Brack) of the game became the president of the company which opened that position. Someone will be promoted to it. Probably the Game Director. Then someone will fill that chair and so on.

^ My fellow nelf here is correct. I think everyone sort of skimmed over that whole promotion thing when considering why there might be an incoming shuffle of department leads & etc.

But that also doesn't fit with the general narrative of the forums that everything is doom and gloom and the ship is sinking, rabble rabble rabble.

Pretty sure blizzard doesn't have to answer to you for their hiring decisions. This is really an odd thing to say.
10/22/2018 10:29 AMPosted by Zaradriel

Ah, but that's the point. We don't know. The title for this thread may as well have been "Speculation 101: Why Do You Think Holinka is Back?" That said, generally all we have for things like this is speculation, and it can be fun to guess/float ideas/generally discuss them and their potential outcomes.

The executive producer (J Allen Brack) of the game became the president of the company which opened that position. Someone will be promoted to it. Probably the Game Director. Then someone will fill that chair and so on.

^ My fellow nelf here is correct. I think everyone sort of skimmed over that whole promotion thing when considering why there might be an incoming shuffle of department leads & etc.

But that also doesn't fit with the general narrative of the forums that everything is doom and gloom and the ship is sinking, rabble rabble rabble.

It will be interesting to see how Brack has to say about Blizzard on the earnings call. Especially if CoD and Activision Publishing sets the tone of the call. Usually if one side was disappointing, the other side was picking up the slack. Candy Crush to the rescue? lol

Class design is bad as the pruning has done lasting damage along with GCD changes.

That is why he is the new combat dev.
10/22/2018 10:29 AMPosted by Zaradriel

It will be interesting to see what Brack has to say about Blizzard going forward on the earnings call in November. Especially if CoD and Activision Publishing sets the tone of the call. Usually if one side was disappointing, the other side was picking up the slack. Candy Crush to the rescue? lol
all I can say. Do goblin run blizzard? cause no one gets fired ever. they have to want to leave. otherwise they never get fired. its like the best company to work for. oh you mess up. well we put you in anther department. Man did again lets put you back an see how that works out. Man I kill for job there. think about it. You could cost them billions and they still keep you.
Can be any worse than the folks we have currently in the dev team.
10/22/2018 07:25 AMPosted by Emt
10/22/2018 06:50 AMPosted by Jamesfisk
In the military, there's a syndrome where officers in charge of something have to make changes in order to get a good evaluation. Doesn't matter that everything was running/working well when they got there...they have to make changes. Usually dicking things up in the process.

Each expac, Blizz makes all of these pointless, counter-productive changes. Then they spend the rest of the expac trying to fix them. Adding kludge on top of kludge till the resulting mess is distorted beyond recognition. Always taking content and player choice out in the process to simplify things. Till what they have left, is a hot steaming mess, barely recognizable as WoW, ever more stovepiped to force us to play the game the way they insist we play it...

Somehow, I don't think the US Army is a good example of how to make a successful video game...

Welcome to the corporate world as well. Things work. Newb comes in and takes over. Changes for the sake of change. Everyone under him is effected.

Worse still is the keep your job syndrome. Add policy needlessly so everyone above you thinks you are an idea guy...."hey here is a new form we need filled out during freight receiving so we can....."
Glad to see other peoples experience mirrors my own. Although we can't seem to get any respite. We've had 5 senior managers in 5 years. Each one with the notion that they have to come in and "shake up things." I'm just burnt out at this point.
I have no idea but I laughed out loud at the thought that there simply hasn't been a Holinka replacement and he's just being added back in, haha. That's awesome.

It does seem like there is a large amount of criticism about class design, separate from the normal angst related to new expansions. It really is just noticeably bad for a lot of classes and it seems like there was someone at the helm just throwing darts at a board in terms of what to prune and what to add.

I hope this creates some change. I doubt we'll see huge revamps overnight but clearly there is only one direction to go: up. Let's hope things improve.