Sylvanas is more clever than you

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
10/26/2018 01:45 AMPosted by Rivendel
Not to mention BFA has been nothing but heavy alliance casualties.
Do you see that Zandalari city over there?
Shame if we did something to it.
10/26/2018 01:43 AMPosted by Villains
She's a strategic genius purely because the story claims she is, not because she ever demonstrates that she is. It's called a hamfisted plot device.
She showed it in WC3, slowing down Arthas' infinitely numerically superior forces. Not to mention BFA has been nothing but heavy alliance casualties.
I mean, nothing you said there disproves what he said.
Perhaps, but she’ll never match the TACTICAL GENIUS(tm) that is Ursarkar E. Creed
10/26/2018 01:49 AMPosted by Kharinak
...She showed it in WC3, slowing down Arthas' infinitely numerically superior forces. Not to mention BFA has been nothing but heavy alliance casualties.
I mean, nothing you said there disproves what he said.
He said, nothing demonstrates her strategic genius in lore. WC3 Is a direct example of them showing it. So its not a hamfisted plot device. Because its been shown before, not just made up on the spot.
So Sylvanas's goal is to maximize casualties right? Wear the Alliance down to nothing? She of course has been using the ideas given by the Azerite in Gallywix's staff so she is limited to the opportunities it has presented her.

If she exploited every opportunity rather than just the ones shown by the Azerite then she'd be even more dangerous than she already is. She would do well to research every thing in Azeroth's history as well as try to acquire info that her enemies as well as the Players know.
10/26/2018 01:18 AMPosted by Rivendel
10/26/2018 01:13 AMPosted by Galenar
You guys ever feel confused reading these? It's like propaganda for a fictional character.
Point out anything incorrect. Just because you dont like the fact she's a strategic genius, doesnt make it not so. Both Blizzard, and characters in lore, have called her a strategic genius.

Because using the blight and making the other leaders in her faction feel like she's warmongering is totally a good idea.

Saying she's a tactical genius isn't exactly correct. She's scared of dying, it's actually sad. She saw what awaits her when she threw herself off Icecrown Citadel, and now is doing everything she can to avoid that fate.

So she was a tactical genius in WC3 then? I guess that's why she died the first time. Clearly Arthas was the better tactical mind, because she was betrayed on how to bypass Silvermoon's defenses.
Man, you guys bit the bait hard..
Eww, I smell a troll. And not the tusked, three-fingered & toed kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOL3ua_JNMU&feature=youtu.be
It's cute some of you guys think Riv is a troll.
10/26/2018 01:58 AMPosted by Maizono
Because using the blight and making the other leaders in her faction feel like she's warmongering is totally a good idea.

She would be a much better leader as an outright Legion General(rather than a secret General as her deal with Helya implies) since she uses methods they don't object to.
10/26/2018 02:07 AMPosted by Kharinak

If he's not a troll the alternative is we have to believe he genuinely thinks like this and that's enough to drive a mere mortal to madness.
She burned Teldrassil to destroy the kaldorei's hope, only to rally and unite the entire Alliance against her in full force. Clever or not, I see Sylvanas as a tragic character. She tried to kill herself after Lich King's fall to earn herself some much-desired eternal rest, only to be thrust into an eternal darkness.

That does not excuse or justify her actions, but I do think she has definitely suffered quite a lot.
10/26/2018 02:20 AMPosted by Galenar
10/26/2018 02:07 AMPosted by Kharinak

If he's not a troll the alternative is we have to believe he genuinely thinks like this and that's enough to drive a mere mortal to madness.
Whats so maddening about this. All I said was pissing off the Alliance then baiting them to attack your strong fortifications, causing them to suffer heavy casualties, is actually a pretty smart plan.
10/26/2018 02:23 AMPosted by Rivendel
10/26/2018 02:20 AMPosted by Galenar

Whats so maddening about this. All I said was pissing off the Alliance then baiting them to attack your strong fortifications, causing them to suffer heavy casualties, is actually a pretty smart plan.
Arthas should've finished the job.
10/26/2018 02:24 AMPosted by Grandblade
...Whats so maddening about this. All I said was pissing off the Alliance then baiting them to attack your strong fortifications, causing them to suffer heavy casualties, is actually a pretty smart plan.
Arthas should've finished the job.
We've already been over this Grandblade, he'd statistically be more likely to kill you than me.

Smart for fighting one's enemies... Not so smart in regards to one's allies! She is alienating her allies which is her biggest weakness.

Her tactics will of course lead to Tyrande killing Saurfang(which she clearly seems to believe ordered the burning of Teldrassil considering her regret of not killing him) before exposing that he was actually trying to stop the burning of Teldrassil which will cause internal strife among the Night Elves.

Too bad her tactics will only bring down not just the Alliance but herself(by bringing the entire Horde down upon her and Gallywix's heads) as well which is exactly what she does not want! She is good at bringing down an enemy but not good at protecting herself from her own allies in the process.
She is a strategic genius.

Know what’s even more genius than her though?

Releasing Saurfang to cause another civil war.

Zug Zug mofos.
Sylvanas isn't smart. She has a history of failure and being unable to keep her own people in line, started a war with a faction that wasn't her enemy - a faction that's stronger than the faction she hides behind, mind you - while the planet is dying and before her side could recover from the Legion invasion; weakened both of the factions of Azeroth's defenders while knowing there's still bigger threats out there, and has utterly failed at the war she started to the point that next patch it's clearly stated the war will be over soon with the Horde losing. The only reason she managed as much as she did this war is because the writers keep out literally everything and everyone that could stop her, even when they should be there.
10/26/2018 02:51 AMPosted by Iyoma
Sylvanas isn't smart. She has a history of failure and being unable to keep her own people in line, started a war with a faction that wasn't her enemy - a faction that's stronger than the faction she hides behind, mind you - while the planet is dying and before her side could recover from the Legion invasion; weakened both of the factions of Azeroth's defenders while knowing there's still bigger threats out there, and has utterly failed at the war she started to the point that next patch it's clearly stated the war will be over soon with the Horde losing. The only reason she managed as much as she did this war is because the writers keep out literally everything and everyone that could stop her, even when they should be there.
You're a fool if you think the Alliance will win this war, next patch you have a massive trap heading your way. Its also not foolish to fight a bigger faction, if you can ground down their numbers through a superior kill ratio, by say, using strong fortifications like undercity or the Zandalari capital to bludgeon the Alliance armies.
God this title made me cringe.

Yes, Sylvanas tactics in this case are sound and people oversimplify it's advantages, they are something she even reasons out, i'v pointed out how other nations do this. BUT IT'S COMPLETELY IMPRACTICAL BECAUSE SHE ESCALATED THE WAR INTO A SITUATION IT DIDN'T NEED TO BE IN TO BEGIN WITH.

The problem is Sylvanas made her use a TOTAL WAR tactic against a nation we are NOT IN TOTAL WAR AGAINST. Which I feel like is the problem with much of this expac. The Forsaken have been a war of total extinction with much of the Alliance(And in MoP and practically Cata, a chunk of the Horde as well.) and that mentality has been stretched over the entire Horde where it is not applicable.

THAT'S THE PROBLEM.