Kaldorei Raise Your Hand!

Wyrmrest Accord
1 2 3 6 Next
So who's rerolling Horde now that it turns out all it's ever taken to convince the Kaldorei that the Forsaken have it right is to kill us and use valks to find out if we were willing all along.

Haha I love this game's story so much.
*waves hand* There is no story.

At this point I'm just in it to collect shinies and shoot pirates. Maybe next expac I'll be able to take Warcraft seriously as a narrative again. Meantime I will be over here not holding my breath.
Can I offer the Kaldorei a lovely Void makeover? It'll go great with your edgelord Night Warrior cosmetic upgrades.
The whole thing is going to be retconned by the end of the expac, so why worry?
10/30/2018 01:39 AMPosted by Enekie
The whole thing is going to be retconned by the end of the expac, so why worry?

They'll literally never mention it again and the characters will fade into obscurity and it'll all be like a bad nightmare.

Just like WoD.
10/30/2018 02:07 AMPosted by Torkus

They'll literally never mention it again and the characters will fade into obscurity and it'll all be like a bad nightmare.

Just like WoD.

If you were to run bets on how BfA would end, wagering on Sylvanas holding her bow over her head and screaming "AZEROTH IS FREEEEEEE" would make you wealthy.
They make it clear that turning undead changes you. They could have it that they were resurrected, unwillingly, but the warping of their mind into undeath twisted them into hating everything.

But naw they just decided that Elune was a lie. I guess atheism is a prerequisite to becoming undead.
My Hordies are mostly Forsaken, so. Uh. Yeah, 3-4 night elves, 3-4 Forsaken and a scattering of other races, with the 4s on an inactive spare account. I’ll probably resub for a month for 8.1 and pop back in from time to time. Or just resub for a little while towards the end of the expansion to see the whole grand scheme at once.

I did the scenario on the PTR the other day and there were some Risen hunters in the defend Tyrande phase. Skeletal archers with night elf bows. I’d wager that they have about as much free will as the other two have.
10/30/2018 03:42 AMPosted by Orravar
I’d wager that they have about as much free will as the other two have.

From the Horde quest "Dark Ranger Round-up"
Nathanos:
These night elf ambushes have left us undermanned. We need reinforcements if we are to hold Darkshore. Brynja, one of the Dark Lady's val'kyr, can provide us with those reinforcements. Slay the night elves and command her to raise the willing ones into our service. ...Did I not make myself clear? Go. The Dark Lady has plans for these Dark Rangers.
See? Turns out all those people fighting to the death to defend their homeland were actually eager to serve The Dark Waifu.
10/30/2018 07:42 AMPosted by Serevèn
Did I not make myself clear? Go.

God I can't wait to punch this smug dink's goatee off.
It would've been neat if there were some pre-established dissent within the ranks before the zombie apocalypse rolled in but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hey, you wanna know why I'm not at level 120 yet?

I won't serve the Dark Lady.

My RP character killed herself a second time when she found out what Sylvanas did to the tree and its innocent residents. (Now she just stays in Shadow form and levitates everywhere. I play her as a ghost.)

I've found this to be an interesting RP experience. What do you do when your leader is inherently corrupt? My character's reaction would not be my own (she can still get stuff done as a ghost, but I feel I would have a... much harder time. Curse you, real world!)

10/30/2018 07:42 AMPosted by Serevèn
Slay the night elves and command her to raise the willing ones into our service.

In the Forsaken starting area, they make it preeeeeetty clear that one of three things will happen if you're raised by one of Sylvanas's val'kyr. You will either:
1. Stay mindless because your brain has rotted too much, and other Forsaken will be commanded to kill you
2. Retain your brain capacity and free will, and "willingly" join up with the Forsaken
3. Retain your brain capacity and free will, decide not to join with the Forsaken, and then get killed shortly afterwards... on orders from the Forsaken.

Remember this?

Guy who doesn't want to join Sylvanas: "Maybe I'll make my own Forsaken! With elbows!!!"

*a few quests later*

"Go kill that guy who refused to join us."

Just like WoD.

You say that, but then they went back later and somehow made WoD's story even worse.
BfA ends with Saurfang waking up in a sweat turning to his left to see the remains of his dinner, a half eaten ham steak and mash potatoes, he turns back into his bed grumbling “I need more fiber,” and thus we learn it was all a dream
10/30/2018 08:03 AMPosted by Ursuola

Just like WoD.

You say that, but then they went back later and somehow made WoD's story even worse.

They'll be like Pandas, just decoration for whatever wall/ship they're leaned against every expansion.
Know what I’m not looking forward to?

A possible Lightforged Forsaken allied race.

And I say that as a man who loves Forsaken. (quite ironically)
10/30/2018 08:01 AMPosted by Morrowveil

In the Forsaken starting area, they make it preeeeeetty clear that one of three things will happen if you're raised by one of Sylvanas's val'kyr. You will either:
1. Stay mindless because your brain has rotted too much, and other Forsaken will be commanded to kill you
2. Retain your brain capacity and free will, and "willingly" join up with the Forsaken
3. Retain your brain capacity and free will, decide not to join with the Forsaken, and then get killed shortly afterwards... on orders from the Forsaken.

Remember this?

Guy who doesn't want to join Sylvanas: "Maybe I'll make my own Forsaken! With elbows!!!"

*a few quests later*

Nono. That was redpath, he formed his own group and was working against the forsaken

Lilian voss was the one who didnt join, who did her own thing and was left alone

Youfe free to do what you want, just stay out of the way
Wait what happens?
I stopped looking stuff up cus I just kept getting disappointed.
Au contraire, I've fallen back in love with Night Elves and am now leveling a couple to max level to be the servant of the Night Warrior and kill filthy dessecrators and traitors.

Folks have a right to their own opinion, but I'm loving the Night Elf story. I certainly hope we get more development with regards to why Sira and Delaryn started reading Sam Harris, but if not, I'll kill filthy Horde just the same.
10/30/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Chakris
10/30/2018 08:01 AMPosted by Morrowveil

Remember this?

*a few quests later*

Nono. That was redpath, he formed his own group and was working against the forsaken

Lilian voss was the one who didnt join, who did her own thing and was left alone

Youfe free to do what you want, just stay out of the way

This is a good argument. Your perspective on what happened is fair, and is probably how Blizz intended it to be taken. I took it a little differently, so maybe this is personal headcanon. But, this is how I interpreted the whole Lilian Voss thing:

Lilian was not having a great time adapting to being undead. She went into shock and hid in a nearby inn. Another Forsaken thought, for some insane reason, that it would be good to show her her reflection in the mirror. The player does so, and this freaks her out even more and she goes running to her old compatriots, the Scarlet Crusade. This is the head-canon-y part: she wasn't stopped because it was assumed the Scarlet Crusade would kill her.

When Lilian turned out to be more powerful than the Scarlets and developed a vendetta against them, she went through and wiped out as many as she could. Now, this might also be headcanon, but I assumed the Forsaken let her do that because she was doing the work they would otherwise have to send their own troops out to do.

She wasn't just staying out of the way. She may not have been taking direct orders from Sylvanas or one of her military peeps, but there are quests in which the player, as a Forsaken, is working with her to further diminish the Scarlets, which is a big part of the Forsaken agenda (which I consider a fair agenda because Scarlets want us all true-dead.)

So far as Marshal Redpath is concerned: I think I interpreted that situation differently. When you're sent to kill him, he and his renegade group of undead are fighting Forsaken forces. If he "shot first" or whatever, it totally makes sense that you've got to take him out. Again, this is probably how Blizz intended it. But for some reason I assumed the Forsaken sought him out because they thought he was a threat.

But there's another interpretation there, too, that only just occurred to me. His little army was made up of brainless undead. You know, the ones you're supposed to kill. Maybe the Forsaken took a moral stance against that, since directing "mindless undead" was something they strongly associated with Arthas. Is... is this that "gray morality" I'm always hearing about?