2018 (new) Mac Mini and WOW?

Mac Technical Support
Anyone have thoughts on if the new Mac Mini announced today will be able to drive my 4k tv at native resolution at decent frame rate, low quality settings?
WoW at 4k on an IGP? No. Not even low settings are going to be enjoyable on an IGP. If you pair it with an eGPU chassis that has a fairly decent GPU inside, yes it can. Expect to get at best 1440p w/ most settings on low with the Intel UHD 630 IGP, but figure more along the lines of 1080p with modest to (barely) moderate settings from the built in IGP.
Ok, thanks. I currently get pretty mediocre framerate, low quality, from my Alienware Alpha at full resolution, so I wouldn't want to downgrade.
If I wanted to buy this new Mac Mini and also purchase an eGPU with as high end a GPU as Apple currently supports would this be a good option for playing wow at 4K on ultra?

Looking to enjoy WOW on Mac for the next 5 years at least
The best supported configuration for the near future will be the upcoming Blackmagic eGPU with Vega 56 for $1100!

Poor essence. Little value. /Abathur

No, it's not the best option for playing WoW at 4k today on ultra, never mind 5 years from now.
If you have to have Mac I guess the eGPU is the only way to keep WOW trucking? Razer Core is what, $299 without the GPU. I guess this could escalate quickly!
Right now everyone should wait for this "mac pro" coming in 2019. It's our only hope of a decent gaming machine if they do it right this time. but if they do another over priced trash can, that'll suck.
The machines starting with 128GB or 256GB of storage (at $800/$1100 dollars) is insulting, to be frank. You can buy a 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO SSD on Amazon for $277 dollars. 1 TB of SSD storage in the Mac Mini is a $600/$800 dollar up-charge!!

I really hope we see some M.2 slots in the upcoming Mac Pro, but I won't hold my breath. Apple's hardware is visually nice to look at, but most of it is overpriced, and their BTO upgrade charges are _ludicrous_.

The up-charge on the CPU to the max configuration (an i7-8700 I think) is $200 to $300 dollars. And the i7-8700 retails for $310 dollars!! You basically pay for two CPUs and only get one.

I wanted to like this computer. And if it weren't for how expensive it is, I'd probably be getting one.
Agree completely. I want one but I dont want it to suck at playing WoW or be super expensive, and this is both!
I actually think the new Mac mini is a great upgrade. It’s acrually a very powerful little machine now. Yes it is lacking a dedicated video card, but with full 4xThunderBolt 3 ports, and how well 10.14 handles eGPU’s, that is an easy upgrade now. Most people want to keep upgrading their video cards anyway, so making it fully support egpu, was the right idea, and it is the trend for all the latest Macs.

For someone who is currently using an eGPU’s with my MBP, it really does take it to another level.
Not at $1500-1900 dollars, it's not. Before the cost of an eGPU enclosure or graphics card. And that's before buying your own RAM to put into it, because 8GB is obviously not enough.
i think egpu's are the future for windows and mac. that being said apple don't support nvida gpu's thats a huge disadvantage in my opinion. and i dont think they have even said the mac mini will support a egpu have they?
11/01/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Rustymage
i think egpu's are the future for windows and mac. that being said apple don't support nvida gpu's thats a huge disadvantage in my opinion. and i dont think they have even said the mac mini will support a egpu have they?

They list eGPU in their I/O infographic on the Mac Mini product page, and mention it in the numbers comparison to the previous version of the computer.
11/01/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Omegall
Right now everyone should wait for this "mac pro" coming in 2019. It's our only hope of a decent gaming machine if they do it right this time. but if they do another over priced trash can, that'll suck.

They won't do it right

It will be overpriced... that is a given.

It will not be a decent gaming machine... that is fundamentally opposite of their design objective (graphics for gaming and graphics for production are two entirely different beasts).

The only redeeming quality the Mac Pro has is the ability to be upgraded aftermarket. Without that, it wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

It's all going to come down to slots. No PCIe slots, no deal for a vast segment of their pro audience, of which Apple will lose in irreversible chunks. Get the slots right (ideally PCIe 4 given this is coming out in 2019) and pretty much all the rest will follow and much will be forgiven.

I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is on this one -- get this right and I'll pre-order this first chance I get. Fail on this and I'm very likely leaving the platform (after 35 years by then).
11/01/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Sagerremeseb

It's all going to come down to slots. No PCIe slots, no deal for a vast segment of their pro audience, of which Apple will lose in irreversible chunks. Get the slots right (ideally PCIe 4 given this is coming out in 2019) and pretty much all the rest will follow and much will be forgiven.

I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is on this one -- get this right and I'll pre-order this first chance I get. Fail on this and I'm very likely leaving the platform (after 35 years by then).

The people who would be disappointed by a lack of PCIe slots aren't necessarily the type professional users who Apple are designing products for.
True, but at this point Apple desperately needs a machine that can serve as a "workhorse", and Apple hasn't had one since the Mac Pro towers.

Apple addressed the segment that doesn't need the slots essentially with the iMac Pro.

I'm probably being hasty about saying I'll abandon the platform -- more likely I'll finally build a Hackintosh -- as I absolutely hate working on Windows and love OS X (been my favorite OS since the days of NeXTStep). But it will have slots and a lot of cores.
11/01/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Ryegeleye
Apple's hardware is visually nice to look at, but most of it is overpriced, and their BTO upgrade charges are _ludicrous_.

It's been that way since 1984.
11/01/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Ryegeleye
11/01/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Rustymage

They list eGPU in their I/O infographic on the Mac Mini product page, and mention it in the numbers comparison to the previous version of the computer.

Any Mac that has thunderbolt 3 hardware, will have full support for eGPU.