When you'll ask yourself, what'd killed WoW

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
... I'll come and whisper in your ears: "Class design, bithc"
Certainly what killed it for me.
Poor class design.
Lack of balance, melees highly prioritized in pvp. Which is a result of pushing them to be more viable for pve environment.
9 casters overall, where 6 are mage and warlock. 13 melee dps specs overall.
Roulette feeling. No loot thrill, too much randomness.
Lack of communication blizzard-player. Zero transparency.
Warforged mechanic takes down the excitement from basically any drop. Only bis with titanforged is wow, but it does not happen.

Game is boring, queues are getting longer. Meta specs are too high above the others.

Too much esport stuff. I can see how only esport players will play this game in a a year, cause others will lose Interest as game is boring.

I'll say that again - WoW is now a roulette with RPG aspects.

#reverttomop

Edit: and really bad scaling in pvp.
Amputation of my spellbook is THE reason I don't play anymore.

Obvious greed is obvious.
WoW does like League of Legends: buff FOTM class, sell boosts, nerf said buffed OP class, buff new or different class, sell boosts for it, nerf it, buff new class, sell boosts, repeat.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Developer/Studio Philosophy.
11/05/2018 12:05 AMPosted by Rhadamanph
... I'll come and whisper in your ears: "Class design, bithc"
no you won't cause I'll whisper right back 'Ion 'Elitist Jerk' Hazzikostas'

Cause bottom line. He is killing the game.

His design philosophy is hot garbage, but the egotistical [four letter word relating to fornication] won't swallow his pride for even a second to look at what he's doing.

When wow dies, he'll be the one name spoken when people ask why. And you know what. I don't ever intend to let him forget it.
11/05/2018 05:24 AMPosted by Kharn
Ion 'Elitist Jerk' Hazzikostas

I bet Ion loves gaming and loves WoW but is under orders and on a leash from Corporate Headquarters. He probably has a mortgage and a family and big Medicare premiums and if he was to fix WoW his children would starve. I'm a dreamer yo.
11/05/2018 07:46 AMPosted by Hareelarry
11/05/2018 05:24 AMPosted by Kharn
Ion 'Elitist Jerk' Hazzikostas

I bet Ion loves gaming and loves WoW but is under orders and on a leash from Corporate Headquarters. He probably has a mortgage and a family and big Medicare premiums and if he was to fix WoW his children would starve. I'm a dreamer yo.
Almost guaranteed all these bad decisions that are coming out are coming from management at Activision. Especially the decision to make a mobile Diablo game... Either way, I can't see any self respecting developer do what they've done to the classes in this game (all the backwards movement) without orders from management. Management, I might add, likely has never played the game and barely touches their computer.
11/05/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Valamandil
Activision
11/05/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Valamandil
11/05/2018 07:46 AMPosted by Hareelarry

Almost guaranteed all these bad decisions that are coming out are coming from management at Activision. Especially the decision to make a mobile Diablo game... Either way, I can't see any self respecting developer do what they've done to the classes in this game (all the backwards movement) without orders from management. Management, I might add, likely has never played the game and barely touches their computer.

Doesn't change what I said one bit. If he didn't agree with what they wanted, he would have said so. He would have at least hinted that he wasn't happy.

Nope. Every time they stick him in front of a camera its the same thing. "We're right, you're wrong, if you didn't suck at the game you'd see things our way"

Every. Single. Time.

I'll quote best spiderman.

"When you have the power, and then the bad things happen, and you did nothing, they happened because of you"
-Bad class design
-Not addressing any improments to dead PvP (it has been dead since Legion)
-No gear vendors for PvP/PvE
-No item upgrading "aka" old Valor system
-Ignoring all Alpha and Beta feedback
Level bloat, every other issue is a symptom of that. Pruning occurred because blizz realized they couldn't continue adding abilities every level. That lead to very broken class design because blizz basically junked all the class design and balancing from vanilla to MoP. It shouldn't be a surprise that class designed 'peaked' then as that was the last time we had class design that wasn't thrown out every single expac.

In software engineering throwing out all your work should always be the last alternative in any engineering decision. However due to level bloat we're where we are; ironically blizz may be forced to throw out everything in order to fix that core issue. They are still currently exploring all of their options per Ion during the Q&A. Regardless, the issues with classes really can't get fixed if every expac they add ten levels.
So of us saw this coming years ago.
11/05/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Jessail
Pruning occurred because blizz realized they couldn't continue adding abilities every level.

Make some passive talents almost everyone uses baseline and create more interesting talents. For example as destro backdraft or flashover could be passive. Its what many destro locks take. demon skin passive. Demonic circle passive. You get the idea.
11/05/2018 12:46 PMPosted by Chaysee
You get the idea
I do, however that doesn't fundamentally solve the issues of talent/level bloat that caused the issues in the first place. There is a much more fundamental discussion about leveling and if that should even be a thing going forward that is being had.
Not class design in itself, but also content design's interaction with it and vice-versa. I don't like how much of an action game WoW has become, lacking all those little details and elements that make an RPG. There was a brief time we had something like that in legion with the artifacts, but even that was a hollow shell of what it was based on: the old pre-cata talent system.

This talent system, and the philosophy of classes before Wrath, is something I miss. I truly do hate this class design of where there are, realistically, only four classes: a healer, a tank, a melee DPS, and a ranged DPS, but different colors and slightly different toolkits between them. I also have grown to hate how content is designed around this, where the things a class could provide outside of these four paradigms aren't very valuable, at least not as much as they used to be.

All of these things lend themselves to the esports/competitive crowd who just want to raid, arena, or M+ at the highest level they can, but don't care about the rest of the game. The borrowed power system like artifacts, and now azerite, is solely for this sake. The diluting of class identity, the quick-paced content where each patch is just a new season where your slate is wiped clean, the mechanics within raids and dungeons are also for this sake.

In a way, the key to solving class imbalance is to, ironically, stop trying to make them all the same. Likewise, content design must reflect this. "Bring the player, not the class" sounded good when I first heard it, but after experiencing what comes from it, I don't think I want it anymore.
babyrage
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-LITTLE-GOLDEN-BOOK-NUMBERS-1955-GOLDEN-PRESS-HARD-COVER-29-cents-on-cover-/222635810423

I found a great gift for the class balance devs on eBay!
Players: Why u prune bro?

Ion: We cant add abilities every xpac

Players: You literally havent given us any new spells in years

Ion: You're welcome.