[H-RP Event] Know Your Ally: Pandaren

Wyrmrest Accord
Date: Friday, November 9th
Time: 5:00 PM
Flier: https://tinyurl.com/kyapandaren

Overview

Our serene friends from the south have plenty to share, whether it be food, ale, or getting punched.

White Tiger watch over you!

Join the <Legacy of the Highborne> as we make for a diplomatic visit and cultural exchange at Dawn's Blossom in the Jade Forest. We're not all allowed to ride the turtle, so it's the next best thing!

Though oriented towards elves, all members of the Horde are welcome!

Featuring presenters:

-Shadesinger (The Sha)

-Jadewalker

-Fælu (August Celestials)

(We could certainly include another presenter for those interested, plus catering!)

Note for the Future:

We will continue holding these diplomatic/cultural exchanges at the last Friday of every month. Look forward to Tauren, Trolls, Zandalari, Ebon Blade, and Illidari!

For official invite or interest in our other events, contact Arnois in-game!
Oh cool a Pandaren RP- Aaaaaaand it's Horde.
Oooo.... I may make a visit to hear the keynote. My monk needs more culture, she’s a little slow...
Sunreavers should be in attendance. But last time they tried to attend, it was in a part of Suramar that was phase-locked to them? Hope we don't run into the same issue...
A few Steelpaw might be in attendance. Hope this event goes well.
11/08/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Axiann
Sunreavers should be in attendance. But last time they tried to attend, it was in a part of Suramar that was phase-locked to them? Hope we don't run into the same issue...

The Nighthold hates non-nightborne unless they've completed the storyline. That's why we kept every other event out of that sub-zone.
Arnois, you have stoked my curiosity. As I notice that you have both the usual and the unusual of Pandarian society present here, such as the Celestials and the Sha, would you be interested in having Mogu culture featured? I've been Roleplaying one for quite some time now and find them to have a fascinating history that has shaped much of the ancient world and Azeroth's history. Tsun here is much more level-headed than most Mogu. I'd love to know what you think of this.
11/08/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Tsunnzu
Arnois, you have stoked my curiosity. As I notice that you have both the usual and the unusual of Pandarian society present here, such as the Celestials and the Sha, would you be interested in having Mogu culture featured? I've been Roleplaying one for quite some time now and find them to have a fascinating history that has shaped much of the ancient world and Azeroth's history. Tsun here is much more level-headed than most Mogu. I'd love to know what you think of this.

Well neither the Sha and the Celestials are making an actual visit, but I see what you mean. Seems like it'd potentially frighten the pandaren and the mogu kept up their misdeeds with Zul... But we can see! <Zuldazar Menagerie> are our friends, at least.
What a great event!
I feel like having a mogu speak about mogu and culture would be a touch insensitive. When part of this is about knowing your ally, to devote speaking time to said ally's ancestral enemy and talk about a culture that has enslaved and brutalized them could really put a dark mark on things. I think the mogu could be talked about but more from a Lorewalker and have the focus be more on the Pandaren's perspective of that time period.

That being said are there any speaking portions about the Huojin? I feel like it's a pretty important topic to bring up for allies. When we last spoke you mentioned that you wanted one of us to speak about food or something else and I didn't know we could pick and choose the topics to speak about. I could probably throw together a hasty presentation about it (not as Xiaolen, though).
I have to agree with Xiao. A Lorewalker presenting information on the Mogu would be more palatable to everyone involved than a Mogu presenting information on the Mogu in a room filled with a former slave race.
It's always a bit disappointing when a very interesting event is announced so shortly before it it happens. I can't be the only one who already has both rl & rp commitments but would probably have attended.

^ completely agree with the other Pandaren re representatives of the First Dynasty actually attending.

Including a Pandaren on the panel to address dealing diplomatically with non-aligned Pandaren would have been a nice addition.
How can anyone's opinion on the Mogu change if they cannot speak openly? I wish to tell the tale of early Pandarian history, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Could you imagine if for Know Your Ally: Orcs there was someone who wanted to present as a human to orcs about the Second War and the internment of orcs? It certainly was relevant to the history of orcs, but I'm certain no orc would want to listen to such a lecture from a human, nor would they want to cede any panel that is meant to be about them towards humans and their culture at that time. Rather they would want another orc to talk about it, and what it meant for them.

I really do love mogu as a race and I think they are super cool but Blizzard has always presented them as hostile and as slavers even in the latest expansion. Every time mogu are encountered someone ends up in chains, literally, even Zandalari trolls are dealing with having parts of their lands invaded by mogu and being enslaved to mine azerite.

Mogu are really neat but their race is always represented as hostile and I do not think anyone would feel safe around them. I'm okay with someone who wants to play a mogu that is more neutral or seeking some sort of redemption, but your character is more likely the exception, not the rule, with how Blizzard has decided to portray them. Furthermore I don't see why people would suddenly be okay with having them around, IC.
Yep, let's have a "Know Your Ally: Forsaken" session with Kaldorei on the panel. With Darnassus as the venue.

Or maybe the First Dynasty should host an event themselves to put the word out about how great they are?
"We're gonna have a forest troll culture seminar.
"To assist in telling the tale of ancient forest troll-elf relations, let us now turn to our speaker: Alleria Windrunner."

This is what you're asking for lad
11/09/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Tsunnzu
How can anyone's opinion on the Mogu change if they cannot speak openly? I wish to tell the tale of early Pandarian history, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Mogu are not Allies to the Horde, or even Pandaren peoples at large.

I don't think anyone here has an issue with you playing a Mogu or even the concept of your character. But this event is not to be the stage of your character's arc or to show that Mogu can change/be the outlier. It's about the Pandaren's relation to the Horde--that's it.
11/09/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Lianshí
11/09/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Tsunnzu

Mogu are not Allies to the Horde, or even Pandaren peoples at large.

I don't think anyone here has an issue with you playing a Mogu or even the concept of your character. But this event is not to be the stage of your character's arc or to show that Mogu can change/be the outlier. It's about the Pandaren's relation to the Horde--that's it.

I’m completely for that. And it’s true, the Mogu are not, but they are a defining element of Pandaren culture as much as the American Revolution is to Americans. I’m not a Pandaren, but I’m a very Pandaren related character. I just want to contribute to the roleplay.
11/09/2018 05:46 AMPosted by Xiaolen

That being said are there any speaking portions about the Huojin? I feel like it's a pretty important topic to bring up for allies. When we last spoke you mentioned that you wanted one of us to speak about food or something else and I didn't know we could pick and choose the topics to speak about. I could probably throw together a hasty presentation about it (not as Xiaolen, though).

Shutakeshi will be talking about the Isle Pandaren which I assume will include the Huojin.
11/09/2018 02:47 PMPosted by Arnois
11/09/2018 05:46 AMPosted by Xiaolen

Shutakeshi will be talking about the Isle Pandaren which I assume will include the Huojin.

I forgot to mention I am Shutakeshi, and yes, after looking at this thread and talking to you I decided I would make a little presentation about coming from the Isle (Xiaolen is a mainlander).