Never played vanilla

Classic Discussion
Hi all,

I started in legion and never played vanilla. I was wondering if you could share some things you loved about it so I can get some sort of idea of what it was like. I will be giving it a try when it releases
11/09/2018 08:45 AMPosted by Momobubble
Hi all,

I started in legion and never played vanilla. I was wondering if you could share some things you loved about it so I can get some sort of idea of what it was like. I will be giving it a try when it releases

The pace is completely different. Some call it slow and grindy but it's actually really rewarding. Your character doesn't feel like a god right off the bat, youre like a pleb. Then as you level and gear up, get spell ranks, talent points, etc you really start to feel more powerful. You truly feel like you are building this character on your journey. Classic feels more like an adventure than a grind to get to max level end game like retail is now. The world feels massive and being slowed down you really appreciate it more. In my opinion MMOs these days are too focused on endgame (not saying that's not important) and their journey there is often not important and feels like a chore. Classic makes me appreciate all aspects of the journey there as well as the endgame itself.
Whichever server you pick basically becomes your home, you'll find allies and rivals especially if you choose a pvp server. Instead of hanging around all day in cities people actually go out into the world and most groups in instances dont feel like you're in with a bunch of NPCs.
Classic is the epitome of "the journey is more important than the destination"
In live your the super hero taking out the trash.
In vanilla you're a scrub learning the ropes.
Everything is slower.
Dungeons require actual coordination.
Don't rush. Don't worry about the fastest way to 60 or the optimal specs or professions. Just let yourself get immersed and have fun.

Also, talk to people. Instead of fighting for monsters, ask if they're on the same quest and offer to group. Keep a friend list and/or join a guild so you have go-tos for dungeons. MMOs were originally designed around actual player interaction after all. :)

11/09/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Matcauthon
Classic is the epitome of "the journey is more important than the destination"
This is nice. Im too drunk to effectively contribute, but what the human priest said.

Its slower paced, its more explorative, its less initially powerful. In fact i never felt particularly powerful even into end game (and this was right up to 2.01). I felt always on my toes, always challenged. TBC came at the point i was just starting to develop that power. By then aq (let alone naxx) wasnt even remotely on my radar. This was years into vanilla. Nothing was ancillary. Even dungeons still granted me key gear. Raids, wonderful though they were for progression, still took a backseat to a lowly UBRS clear for my shadowcrap gear. Everything still mattered for some weird reason. Its really a different world to the wow youre used to. Its longet, more efficiently paced, and slower paced than you can grasp (without playing it - imagine running deadmines and receiving nothing but moderate xp... for 40 minutes. Then doing it again because you wanted that drop). Thats wow classic. you need that patience. And that patience means you need to rely on other players. They get you !@#$. You add them to your friends list...
Hey Momobubble, for me there were 2 primary reason why I loved it so much.

First of all, the world felt absolutely massive! I still remember the feeling in my stomach when I first stumbled upon the Alter of Storms in Burning Steppes, or when I saw my first Devilsaur in Un'Goro - which I promptly died to lol.

Secondly, it was all about the group of friends that you built. You would be more than willing to take a break from your own grind to help a friend/guildy lock through BRD for their Incendic Bracers off Lord incendius because they had just crafted a new set of bags for you. On the next week's MC run, the lock might be passing on a Crimson Shocker because one of the priests needed the FR and just spent their DKP to get their Gloves of Prophecy... You guild was truly a family.

Hope you have an awesome time when Classic comes out!
One of the most notable differences is something you'll be feeling from the beginning. Every couple of levels you will need to go to a class trainer and learn a new spell or a new rank. If you have enough coin, that is. Once you hit the level at which you get your first talent point, you'll be getting another one every couple levels.

Compare that to Legion/Retail where you glide along until level 10, pick your spec, and the relevant spells are all given to you automatically at no cost (but any spells not allowed to the spec you chose are taken away). At level 15, pick one of three talents that all do similar things, and then forget about it because you won't pick from the next three until level 30.

Some good gear that drops in dungeons you can do might not be possible to wear until you reach a certain level.

Basically, every level you gain will feel like it matters and is part of your character getting stronger - at the same time as you learn to play them better and better.
The best way I can describe Classic is that it is "casually difficult". You have a lot of freedom to make choices that affect the experience you get playing the game. The gameplay itself may not seem as active as it is in retail, but it succeeds far more in other areas that Retail lacks. Community being the biggest part of that as you will make more friends (and enemies) with the increased amount of interaction in the game. The only thing you need to be aware of though is having the time available to play. The only major con is that majority of the activities you do are time consuming. Which is why you will typically approach the game with a casual mentality. Those who are serious will be spending days upon days looking to get ahead of everybody. So just look to play the game in the way you find fun. That is what Classic is.
Hi all,

In 2004-2006, there was much less forum moderation and less of a need to intervene in personal disputes that could be solved by typing /ignore or turning on the language filter.
This fostered genuine hatred/rivalries among guilds that led to amazing experiences in forum pvp, which was the only type that truly had lasting effects.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/1083609596
Everyone has made extremely valid points so far! I would like to piggy back off some of these. The pace is MUCH different.

In classic Wow, leveling takes more patience and attention to detail than ever. You don't get quality of life assistance on questing. Example: when accepting a quest, it will not direct you where to go on your map automatically. Your map will not light up the area the quest is completed in. Items that required to be looted off the ground will not sparkle or indicate any importance unless hovered over. Mobs will not have a tracker on their tooltip depicting how many need killed or items looted specifically from them, you'll actually have to read the quest. Now, back in the day, the use of third party resources were extremely limited. There was no WoW wiki, or wowhead yet, we had Thottbot, which helped a little. So questing might not be as strenuous as it was then with these being accessible.

Dungeons weren't as rewarding as they are today. A player can easily level quickly just dungeon grinding their way up the levels, but back in vanilla, they slowed you down. Yes, the chance at gear was helpful, but the XP gain from a dungeon was barely worth the 40 mins to an hour it took completing it. Also, even just getting a group together for one was time consuming. There was no dungeon/group finder. There was trade chat and thats it. So if you plan on making a 5 man group with your buddies and try to blast dungeons all day, well then... you're going to be upset when everyone and their mother is gliding passed you.

PvP, oh the sweetness of PvP in vanilla! PvP separated the boys from the men. Back in the day, your fully epic'd out character that you spent months working on, could easily be made a fool of by someone of severely less quality gear. Skill. Meant. Everything. Mobility, utility, survivability were all scarce. You didn't have 3-4 ways of breaking CC, you had one, two depending on your class or race. But because of that, a highly skilled player could easily work over 3-4 people by his or herself. You don't stand a snowballs chance in hell against a good player just based on your gear. You need to learn the mechanics of your class as well as the mechanics of every other class to be able to stand a chance.

That's all I got for now!
Classes felt all better (aka complete) in Vanilla, BC, and WOTLK compared to Legion. Legion locks you into one spec and you "forget the other spells" that you knew from years of training.

Mage: I mainly play fire mage but I level with a rotation like this, open with to frostbolt to slow them, hit them with fireball for lots of damage, throw in a fireblast, then use the mana inefficient arcane missiles to kill them off before they even get in melee range to you. If they are not dead, throw in a frost nova. Is frost nova on cool down and you are a fire mage? Throw in a blast wave.

My rotation will make you run of of mana really quickly so I don't recommend it.

I leveled as fire mainly so I can't comment on frost AOE grinding but you can Youtube "In Frost We Trust"
In Frost We Trust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqKjds4LqQU
In Frost We Trust - The Horde Addon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-OgTV73qE

Druid: Another mana inefficient rotation for feral druid. Open with wrath to pull, hit them with moonfire, shapeshift into bear or cat form when they get in melee range. Your bear and cat form still have basic abilities even if you spec balance or restoration.

Hunter: You start out shooting arrows or bullets at them. But when they get in melee range, you melee them. You then kite them to get back in shooting range or just melee them to death.

Warlock: You can hit them with a combination of DOT affliction spells and destruction spells.

Rogue: No matter my spec, I can still poison my enemy. And every spec can use the gouge ability to stun them, just not Outlaw spec like in Legion.

Paladin: Lots of auto-attacking and waiting for cool downs at lower levels. I can't remember high level Paladin play style. I just remember using Avenger's Shield in PVP to stun my enemies but that is the BC expansion, and not Vanilla.

Priest: I can't remember high level Priest play style either. I just remember playing as a Shadow Priest in Zangamarsh but that is the BC expansion, and not Vanilla.

Warrior: No comment. I wasn't a fan of waiting for rage so I didn't play warrior a lot. I just remember trying to stance dance (defensive stance, berserker stance, battle stance). You have different abilities in different stances.

Shaman: No comment. I wasn't a fan of putting down totems and having to stay in range of my totems, so I didn't play shaman a lot. But I think it is like the red mage from Final Fantasy. Shamans and red mages can both use melee abilities and cast spells. It's not like Legion where they put melee abilities in one spec and spells in another spec.

Yes, I said Legion because I have never played BFA.
The first past time I remember when I think of vanilla, running out of quests in Tanaris. So i just started grinding on the Thistleshrub mobs in the south west area, for like 5 levels.

It was awesome, mob after mob there was no end to the slaughter lol.
if you could share some things you loved about it so I can get some sort of idea of what it was like.
Less focus on raiding. More focus on leveling.

Leveling was way more boring, which made any achievement a great deal more exciting.

Anything above green quality items were difficult to find, but that was because we weren't very good at understanding the tank/DPS/healer dynamic.

Trolly behavior was much more supported.

If you found a new weapon, you probably had to level your skills in that weapon. Weapon skills were a thing.

Graphics were worse than they are today.

Community was more defined (as in you actually knew people and guilds who played on your server). This arguably only existed until people decided that epic items were more valuable than literally everything else, causing rampant server transfers for players who were looking for raiding guilds. People here seem to be under the impression that it died with CRZ.

It was harder to kill trash in raids and trash had respawn timers, meaning that a wipe generally meant at least 20 minutes between attempts.

Legendary items were never expected to be found during the lifecycle of a player. They required a guild effort to obtain and the RNG was unfriendly.

PvP was skewed heavily toward those who spent more time obtaining gear. This was true in all level brackets.

A relatively small percentage of population knew what was happening and most people existed within "social guilds," who didn't really have a plan on what they intended to do.

Because players were known, there were both famous and infamous players.

Farming was time consuming. You could spend weeks farming metal nodes to sell on the AH.

Too many people farming in an area meant competition was going to prevent you from getting materials. Metal nodes disappeared for everyone after mining. Low mob spawn times could starve you out of leather farming. Plant nodes disappeared after gathering.

You had to give materials to an enchanter to get your gear enchanted (or use their materials), which required some measure of trust.

PvP was horribly unbalanced, but every class had some interesting aspect that defined them. Shadow priests could Mind Control NPCs and kill other people, for example. Paladins didn't ever have to die if they didn't want to (bubblehearth). Warlocks could fear you to death. Rogues followed low-geared clothies for ambush 1-shots.

Resist/glancing blow/miss/crushing blow were all things. You gan Google them if you wish, but they made combat more difficult. The higher level a mob was, the more likely you'd experience these if you were fighting them (exponentially).

Hunter pets retained the attributes of the mobs that were tamed.

I dunno. The list keeps going and going. It was a very different experience. It was arguably better, or worse, but it was definitely a very different feel.
Second fav time I remember is getting my Lock Epic mount. That was an awesome day as well!

Totally showed that off in IF for hours lol.
Good thread, lots of great points.

For myself, the biggest difference between retail and Classic is that retail is completely on rails, whereas Classic is much more like a sandbox. I enjoy the sandbox.

In retail, it's cut-scene to phased event to cut-scene while leveling, and then the same raids repeated at progressively greater difficulty. Classic isn't like that at all.

In Classic, you are in the world, and not because Blizzard painted some silly icon on the map for you, to make it "worth" your time. You have materials to find, dungeons to travel to, class quests to complete, towns to save from the other faction (WorldDefense baby, BEST place to be), and friends to help. There are fewer tools available with which to accomplish these goals, meaning that your own curiosity and drive, and interacting with others is more important. And I think that it is primarily because of this more sandbox-y design, rather than no flying and the slower pace generally, that the world feels much bigger and more flavorful even though it is strictly much smaller and less developed.
Put effort into discovering how you want to play, and what are your goals. The provided content is but a scaffolding for your adventures.
11/09/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Eilethalua
One of the most notable differences is something you'll be feeling from the beginning. Every couple of levels you will need to go to a class trainer and learn a new spell or a new rank. If you have enough coin, that is. Once you hit the level at which you get your first talent point, you'll be getting another one every couple levels.

Couple levels? That's Cataclysm talk. You get one talent point at every level from 10 to 60.
Slow & easy. If you want to be really strong, be ready to schedule your life around a raid schedule, otherwaise, clear instances & haf fun
It’s a lot less streamlined and has some interesting differences because of that.

Take for example that it doesn’t have a dungeon finder. On one hand the dungeon finder allowed me to do dungeons I could never find groups for at certain levels and allowed me to get groups around the clock. But it caused problems too. Today I can join a dungeon , pull and kill the group and leave and I will get a Debuff and that’s it. I’ll never see those guys again .

In classic you had to make the group and in a way you were more invested. You couldn’t just rage and leave because you were halfway through and as such the group with all it’s flaws was your best shot. You ended up having to work together and finish the dungeon together. You met other players who you liked and would group with. Pissing off the group meant you wouldn’t get reinvited.

So it takes longer to do a dungeon and make the group but at the same time you have more reason to communicate and work together. Adds to that mmo feel