What will the 15 a month go towards?

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5

Why BFA of course.
Isn't....isn't this literally the same price as original Vanilla?

Why are people upset about this? What happened to #NoChanges?
11/09/2018 03:16 PMPosted by Mellga
It goes towards Blizzard, that can fund whatever they want. Perhaps more mobile games 'cause we don't have phones.

Yeah... I mean, where do you guys think all that WoW revenue went into?

They used it to create more games.

A heart doesn't just pump blood for itself. It goes throughout the body. Just like Blizzard's money does.
11/10/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Sellavei
Isn't....isn't this literally the same price as original Vanilla?

Why are people upset about this? What happened to #NoChanges?
it's just people whining they don't want their Peas (Classic) touching their Potatoes (Retail).
11/09/2018 03:14 PMPosted by Viralence
Obviously none of us are psychics, but it's an interesting marketing decision to bundle Classic with BFA and the 15 dollar a month sub, for a game that has had no content promised, being released in more or less a standalone form with content that has already been created in the past.

Obviously all the hard work they did in creating Classic deserves monetary compensation, but wouldn't a one time purchase make more sense from the viewpoint that Classic might stay Classic forever? If that's the route it goes and it doesn't become WoW 2.0 Vanilla-Wrath and stays on the final patch, 1.12 forever, what content would we be subscribing for?

Obviously they're staggering releases on Raids and gear, but it's content that's already been made. It's like subscribing to netflix to watch the same movie over and over again instead of just buying the DVD once.

/tinfoilhat does anyone else think this is enough to warrant "WoW will become WoW refresh" and move beyond Vanilla into TBC and beyond refreshes?

It goes to the company. You do know that you aren't paying for what they do with their money but for access the game? If you don't know that, well...
11/10/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Lolclassic

Why BFA of course.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Pretty sure retail pays for itself and more. It will probably be as down payment for other IPs (Destiny 2, diablo mobile, warcraft 3 reforged etc) or to the shareholder.
My main concern with the combined sub is that it will be spun to investors as retail WoW doing well, when in reality, the bump in sub numbers is purely from people who have been driven away from wow due to the terrible decisions of the retail devs at some point in time. I don't want to validate any of the retail decisions with my sub money, and I urge anyone who disagrees with the direction of retail to not so much as login to your retail character lest you pad their infernal MAUs.

That said, yes, $15/month ($180/year) is a little high for a re-release of a 14 year old game, but it is what it is.
11/10/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Galateacyc
That said, yes, $15/month ($180/year) is a little high for a re-release of a 14 year old game, but it is what it is.

"blizz can you give me this game free and have the servers and staff maintaining its playability just magically work for free as well thanks"

edit: also it could be higher considering they're not doing a split deal, they could've just made it like $20 or $25 since it's a joined subscription
https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-21-2015/5hH5V9.gif
11/10/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Winkypants
Yeah... I mean, where do you guys think all that WoW revenue went into?

Most of it would have gone to investors.
Directly into the flaming dumpster that is Blizz HQ.
11/10/2018 09:49 PMPosted by Liotuse
11/10/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Galateacyc

"blizz can you give me this game free and have the servers and staff maintaining its playability just magically work for free as well thanks"

I don't want it free, but please - don't mind me and continue your strawman.

I'd ideally like it separate from retail wow, and to be priced befitting a re-release, instead of 3 AAA games every year. I mean I'll pay it, but it will lead to bad taste in my mouth since I have no desire to play retail until major change happens. Any money I'll pay which ends up supporting retail, frankly turns my stomach.
11/10/2018 09:58 PMPosted by Galateacyc
I don't want it free, but please - don't mind me and continue your strawman.

i went back and edited it several minutes before your post please feel free to reread in order to pick up on my addition
I mean I'll pay it, but it will lead to bad taste in my mouth since I have no desire to play retail until major change happens.

i mean i guess it's a good thing you're going to pay a World of Warcraft Subscription Fee to play a version of World of Warcraft, then
Any money I'll pay which ends up supporting retail, frankly turns my stomach.

no you're supporting World of Warcraft, also have you tried Pepto Bismol
11/10/2018 10:04 PMPosted by Liotuse
Any money I'll pay which ends up supporting retail, frankly turns my stomach.

no you're supporting World of Warcraft, also have you tried Pepto Bismol

Oh, if Ion's decimation of retailing still affected me, I'd need more that pepto - more like full fledged ulcer medication.
11/10/2018 10:10 PMPosted by Galateacyc
Oh, if Ion's decimation of retailing still affected me, I'd need more that pepto - more like full fledged ulcer medication.

this ulcer thing seems awfully self-inflicted and just makes me wonder what your reaction to the Diablo series is
If I pay my subscription and vanilla stays vanilla I'll consider it money well spent.

Personally, I will be paying my subscription only to play classic and that really does not bother me. I have no interest in BFA ( which is why I'm not playing it ) I don't like where the game has gone and will be happy to play vanilla the way it was.

I'm excited to play an official version of vanilla, and have no problems with paying the standard subscription to play it. Being totally honest, if I could get access to it now and not have to wait till next year i'd even be happy to pay for the game itself. ( even though I already paid for the vanilla hard copy way back when it came out )
11/10/2018 10:12 PMPosted by Liotuse
11/10/2018 10:10 PMPosted by Galateacyc

this ulcer thing seems awfully self-inflicted and just makes me wonder what your reaction to the Diablo series is

Since you ask, I don't play diablo (other than briefly 3 when they gave it away for free with the wow sub - I think I got to level 11 before I stopped. It's just not for me.).

I do however sympathize with the diablo fans after this "muted response" (blizzard's words, not mine) they had at this year's blizzcon, and enjoying watching the richly deserved fallout from being tone deaf to their player base (something I can easily relate to from many years of WoW). Was this the first time they ever got booed at a blizzcon? First time I've seen that anyways.

I also shudder for the future at what kind of travesty is in store for WoW with their "best devs" busy working mobile IP across all their "IP franchises". It always breaks my heart a little when Ion destroys the memories of the WoW I love a little more, and sadly it looks like he's not done yet.
11/10/2018 10:29 PMPosted by Galateacyc
I do however sympathize with the diablo fans after this "muted response" (blizzard's words, not mine) they had at this year's blizzcon, and enjoying watching the richly deserved fallout from being tone deaf to their player base (something I can easily relate to from many years of WoW). Was this the first time they ever got booed at a blizzcon? First time I've seen that anyways.

they came out a month ahead of BlizzCon to tell the Diablo fanbase (on the official site, not just in a tweet or a forum post) to not expect anything huge since they have multiple projects in the work, anyone that had that hard of a kneejerk is a funny little critter
11/10/2018 10:29 PMPosted by Galateacyc
I also shudder for the future at what kind of travesty is in store for WoW with their "best devs" busy working mobile IP across all their "IP franchises". It always breaks my heart a little when Ion destroys the memories of the WoW I love a little more, and sadly it looks like he's not done yet.

how half-empty is that glass? you look like you need a top off

they came out a month ahead of BlizzCon to tell the Diablo fanbase (on the official site, not just in a tweet or a forum post) to not expect anything huge since they have multiple projects in the work, anyone that had that hard of a kneejerk is a funny little critter

Still - a diablo reskin of the "endless of god" micro transaction infested mobile game without so much a teaser of for a PC game is beyond even those low expectations. Geez - they even announced the new game would be PG or lower so everyone can play it. I mean who needs blood, gore or satanic imagery in a game called "diablo" all about going to hell to kill satan? I'm sure this shift doesn't affect the IP in the slightest, right?

Diablo fans have every right to be peeved. They should have at least gotten a teaser for D4. I mean they stopped just short of confirming it was being worked on. If they flat out said it, then at least some of the fires Blizzard started could have been put out. As is diablo fans are left wondering if the other diablo teams are working on even MORE mobile titles.

But we're getting off topic - I wouldn't have mentioned it if you didn't ask. I'm just hoping at this point that the diablo wake up call is company wide and player views are more considered at blizzard across all their IPs - especially WoW. Real communication (two way - not announcements) has been a problem in WoW for ages now, and a large contributor to the current sorry state of WoW. It's going to take a lot to fix things even if Blizzard's "we are listening" statements are something they mean this time.