All races all classes

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
So, here's how I look at this. I apply a little bit of logic to it (Logic in a video game? WTF get that outta here!).

I can totally understand that, say, Gnomes as a race developed their own culture and society (initially) free from the influence of other races and that development never included exploring or creating Paladin orders. So, Gnomes, completely on their own, can't be paladins because their society went a different direction. Makes sense.

But how long have Gnomes been part of the Alliance? How long have they lived in Ironforge and been exposed to Dwarf paladins now? Heck, there are probably Gnomes that live in Stormwind and maybe even Gnomes that live in Exodar (maybe because they are interested in the alien tech and want to help repair it).

How many Gnomes have fought on the battlefield alongside Paladins from other races? Many Gnomes at this point have been exposed to Paladins and have probably learned a thing or two about them. There could easily be Gnomes that saw a Paladin use their abilities to save a bunch of people on the battlefield or maybe even save Gnome lives directly. Is it not then possible that a Gnome witnessed a heroic or otherwise highly notable action performed by a Paladin and thought to themselves that maybe that's what they want to be to?

Sure, that Gnome maybe can't go somewhere Gnomish to learn to be a Paladin. But they can freely travel to Stormwind or Ironforge or Exodar or any Alliance place were Paladins hang out, right?

Ever since the Alliance was founded and ever since these races have come together it makes sense that their culture would come along with them. Why wouldn't culture from one race spread into another? We see it in real life, right? How much of US culture now includes culture from other countries?

It makes absolute sense that Gnome society originally did not develop Paladins and so Gnomes aren't Paladins. But it does make sense that with these races part of an Alliance, these races that interact with each other daily for years, that their cultures would spread and be shared among each other.

After all these years, is it really logical that not a single Gnome has ever looked at a Paladin and thought, "That's what I want to be" ? And what would really stop a Gnome from wanting to pursue that?
11/10/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Howlback
I prefer the lore and races having limits on what classes they can be. It gives them flavor and identity.

Blizz has countless NPCs that break from the norm, so they have no problem breaking from their own lore. Saying it's because they are NPCs and are different isn't a good reason because the Player Characters are different. They are heroes and clearly special. A hero should not be held back by their own cultural. If we are to use the same logic Blizzard uses I don't see why are there would enough Bronzebeards choosing to become Warlocks just because the Dark Iron came back to Iron Forge. They weren't trusted then and there are still reservations now. Not to mention it's simply not the culture/lore of the Bronzebeards.

I remember when I first started playing D&D and it had race/class restrictions. Hell, dwarves couldn't use magical items, unless it was armor, weapons or designed for them, without a percentage chance of failure. That changed and it was for the better.
11/10/2018 05:13 AMPosted by Rizzaki
Who cares about lore? Listen to your players we want more options

I care about the lore. I don't think this should happen. Blizz, listen to me and deny this person what they want.

Funny how that works, eh?

Silence, pagan!
If blizz cared about lore we wouldn't be playing in a time warp.
11/10/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Metrohaha
11/10/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Jellarie
Lore is important BUT there has been so much interaction that it makes no sense for race to stop you from a class. Every race should be capable of learning a thing unless there was a genetic reason they were somehow just too stupid in a certain department.

Couldn't agree more. It makes absolutely no sense to say lore is the reason this cant be done when my Death Knight has existed for a decade and has mastered 8 different playstyles for Blood over those 10 years. If he is not knowledgeable enough to teach others how to be a Blood DK, then the writing really is failing.

You're making this far more black and white than it should be. It can be a lot about faith, and understanding as well. The night elves are a race dating back 11 thousand or 12 thousand years. You think they just can't learn how to be shaman?

Of course they can. But to be a shaman has an element of faith to it. It has an element of calling upon something other than Elune, and invoking it. And for the night elves, a xenophobic race heavily based on the idea of their religion? That's a serious no-go. And that's a big part of lore.

That's not the writing team failing. That's the lore of the game and the idea that certain classes and certain races make choices involving faith, specialties and other aspects of life an important thing. I was raised a certain way on a certain faith. Should I just automatically be able to walk up to someone of a different background and be able to fully understand their ethnicities and faith without an issue and thus be able to identify with them? No. That's dumb. The player characters of Warcraft are meant to be people in a world meant to feel alive. Culture is a part of that.

Really lacking knowledge. Especially with this example.
I think it sucked they expanded them in the first place. It just lead people to race trait select classes.
Can you believe some people are capable of playing a godamm RPG without caring about the lore?
Listen to your players

They are, we don't want what you want.
11/10/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Shadina
The player characters of Warcraft are meant to be people in a world meant to feel alive. Culture is a part of that.

And in real life, a world that most certainly is alive, culture has been shared and spread and adopted. It has been mixed and changed, shared among people, poured into big melting pots to the point where it becomes difficult to distinguish each individual culture that went in to create the whole.

Why culture cannot be shared or adopted or spread on Azeroth doesn't make sense to me. Even in your own example with the Night Elves. I know that the Night Elves, as a whole, are (or were) xenophobic and developed their faith in Elune. But that doesn't mean that every single Night Elf is equally fervent or devoted to that. It doesn't mean that every single Night Elf is equally adamant on never changing their beliefs, never changing their mind, never opening themselves to new possibilities.

There isn't a single race on Earth where you can make that assumption. You can paint these large groups of people with a massively large brush, but there are still those that don't fully fit that mold or are more willing to change and more accepting of it. Night Elves aren't some Hive mind collective where every single one of them believes exactly the same thing and is staunchly opposed to ever changing their mind in even the slightest way.
Ffxi had this figured out. Pick one race. Level classes not just your character and switch when you want to.
11/10/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Randolthor
Why culture cannot be shared or adopted or spread on Azeroth doesn't make sense to me. Even in your own example with the Night Elves. I know that the Night Elves, as a whole, are (or were) xenophobic and developed their faith in Elune. But that doesn't mean that every single Night Elf is equally fervent or devoted to that. It doesn't mean that every single Night Elf is equally adamant on never changing their beliefs, never changing their mind, never opening themselves to new possibilities.

You're right. And Blizz tried that with Delas Moonfang. And they failed. Horribly. Delas Moonfang is a flippin' abomination who should be taken out to the backyard and cracked over the head because she was written so horrifically and shoehorned into something she shouldn't have been a part of.

This is an RPG. Racial identity is part of the role we choose to play.

That's not the writing team failing. That's the lore of the game and the idea that certain classes and certain races make choices involving faith, specialties and other aspects of life an important thing.

This.

11/10/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Randolthor

But how long have Gnomes been part of the Alliance? How long have they lived in Ironforge and been exposed to Dwarf paladins now?

How many jews live among christians? There should be pork-eating jews already.

So much for logic.
11/10/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Pomorghön

How many jews live among christians? There should be pork-eating jews already.

So much for logic.

So has literally everyone born to a Jewish family stayed a Jew? Or stayed true to Jewish beliefs? Have there never been people born to a Christian family that pursue a different set of beliefs? Is every person locked to the beliefs or religions of their parents? Or do they grow up, among these many different cultures and decide a different path for themselves? Some will choose their parents' path, certainly, but there is nothing that requires them to do so.

Logic: your post contained none.
11/10/2018 05:18 AMPosted by Moatokni
I latterly exploded from sensory overload if that happen. I being leveling so much. cause I have to have one each male race/race combo. then do each race class combo for female. Oh but it be fun

I do the same female/male and I don't get why people call me crazy. I'm just a filthy casual who likes leveling LOL and the eventual pvp.

I do, i care greatly about the lore, so no, and im not alone in that caring
11/10/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Whinah
No, because then everyone would just play the Barbie doll races.

They don't now, so why do you think they would later? Not all players are going to be like me for instance, who so far has kept it to Elves and Draenei.

That said, doesn't the game have NPCs who are the classes the races can't normally be?

There's also how the lore can rework the class. Tauren Paladin's aren't exactly Paladin's, they just use the Paladin class to represent it.

As for Lore, the Void Elf's for example (using it since I'm working on one now) aren't exactly helping take on the Lich King, but I as a player am in that area now.

I'd say the players could also be the exception to the general rule of the race in some cases.

I know I'd love a VElf Paladin, which is easy enough to explain as a Blood Elf Paladin leaving the Blood Elves to join Umbric. All VElf's are, are BElf's who left to mess with the void. Could also say a BElf DK who stayed with the BElf's more and then left with Umbric.
Not trying to sound like a jerk but try FF14 if that’s what you want man. They do a very good job at what you’re looking for.
I do not see how a few people ask for something and that means everyone wants that.
Pretttty sure Lore is a little important.
No lore makes for a pretty bad game IMO.