Blizz has shown their colors this Blizzcon

General Discussion
They don't care about how they get their money as long as they get it.

"Monetization"
Good god, it's almost like they are a business.
This about Diablo Immortal?

I'd say what they showed, is they didn't know their audience. They shouldn't have made a big deal of the mobile phone game to the hard core PC players. :p

Or lead with what info they have on the next Diablo PC game, then lead into a "If you can't wait for that though, we have this mobile Diablo game coming..."
11/10/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Snowfox

Pretty much this. I mean they try to care for the customers and meet their needs but in the end it’s about the $.

Saying they're a business as cover for any decision made is like saying "Good god, it's almost like they're an army" as justification for why a certain military force killed off an entire civilian population.

No one is contesting that it's a business, bright eyes. I think the point is that they would prefer not to be left behind as Blizzard pursues other markets to tap into and saying "They're a business, bro" is not a justification for bad decisions.
11/10/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Hypheria
I think the point is that they would prefer not to be left behind as Blizzard pursues other markets to tap into.

Cool, there's no sign they will be.

The whole "oh no I might get a brother and my parents will send me away" hysteria is just that - hysteria.
Agreed. They went from one of the best companies to the absolute worst. I don't think a gaming company has ever had as bad a year as 2018 for Blizzard. Even EA only has one massive disaster at a time and they are good about walking back from those blunders.

But Blizzard, unlike any company I can recall, seems to double down on their mistakes and tell their customers that they are wrong.

I suspect we will see a major leadership change if this continues. The shareholders will only tolerate wanton failure for so long.
11/10/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Snowfox
I think the point is that they would prefer not to be left behind as Blizzard pursues other markets to tap into.

Cool, there's no sign they will be.

The whole "oh no I might get a brother and my parents will send me away" hysteria is just that - hysteria.

Then why are people in an uproar over Diablo Immortal? Are they all hysterical?
Saying they're a business as cover for any decision made is like saying "Good god, it's almost like they're an army" as justification for why a certain military force killed off an entire civilian population.

No one is contesting that it's a business, bright eyes. I think the point is that they would prefer not to be left behind as Blizzard pursues other markets to tap into and saying "They're a business, bro" is not a justification for bad decisions.

The flip side of this is that any attempt to generate money shouldn't be met with such extreme paranoia that some people think it means Blizzard doesn't care how they generate that money.

Blizzard is made up of more than one person. Right now we have a bunch of Chicken Littles screaming that the sky is falling because some people at Blizzard are expressing more interest in mobile games.
11/10/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Hypheria

The ones here, in these wow forums?

Yes.

Yes they are.
11/10/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Rankin

The flip side of this is that any attempt to generate money shouldn't be met with such extreme paranoia that some people think it means Blizzard doesn't care how they generate that money.

Blizzard is made up of more than one person. Right now we have a bunch of Chicken Littles screaming that the sky is falling because some people at Blizzard are expressing more interest in mobile games.

It's not paranoid to look at a set of actions a company takes and then divine that it's possible that the reach into the mobile market could be a permanent one.

Divesting resources into one thing usually comes at the expense of something else as money like anything is finite.

Calling it paranoid is lazy and dishonest.
11/10/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/10/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Hypheria

Yes.

Yes they are.

What about Reddit, YouTube and virtually any other website or platform where people can send feedback on Diablo Immortal? They're all hysterical too?

Sounds kind of hysterical to say that, if you ask me.
11/10/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Hypheria
11/10/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Snowfox

Yes.

Yes they are.

What about Reddit, YouTube and virtually any other website or platform where people can send feedback on Diablo Immortal? They're all hysterical too?

I don't care about there.

I'm talking about here, in these wow forums.

Here, in these wow forums, the doomsaying about how Diablo.. or the doomsaying about how wow is going to be replaced by mobile - yes THAT is people being hysterical.

Good god, it's almost like they have to entertain their fans if they want business.

It's almost like it used to be a business of gamers making games for gamers and is now lawyers making garbage for shareholders.
oh cool. we turned back time to last weekend!!

i am a week younger :D
11/10/2018 10:10 AMPosted by Nightwoods

Good god, it's almost like they have to entertain their fans if they want business.

It's almost like it used to be a business of gamers making games for gamers

I think it's probably naive to think they won't make a crapton of money off mobile games and gamers... but beliefs are like opinions. You can hold whichever you like.
11/10/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/10/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Hypheria

Here, in these wow forums, the doomsaying about how Diablo.. or the doomsaying about how wow is going to be replaced by mobile - yes THAT is people being hysterical.

Right, but currently the release video for Diablo Immortal is sitting at like 4k likes, 230,000 dislikes.

So if you're talking about hysterical ninnies afraid of being "replaced" then you're talking about virtually everybody. They're all just hysterical. For no reason.

No justification or rationale at all. Right?
11/10/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Hypheria
11/10/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Snowfox

Right, but currently the release video for Diablo Immortal is sitting at like 4k likes, 230,000 dislikes.

So if you're talking about hysterical ninnies afraid of being "replaced" then you're talking about virtually everybody. They're all just hysterical. For no reason.

No justification or rationale at all. Right?

You keep trying to shift things over to elsewhere.

The claim that "wow is being replaced by mobile" isn't reflected in Diablo votes on youtube.
Yeah, they are a business. But EA is also a business. Being a business doesn’t mean they have to be vampiric. Not saying they hit that point yet of course.

I think it’s a result of their growth and business partnerships, they want to expand. Just think of all the businesses in the past that have gotten big and suddenly seemed to forsake their original audience in search of a new, broader audience.

I’m actually interested in seeing how their developing mobile games turn out though, in terms of business model.
This is what happens when Activision gets ahold of your games.