Blizz has shown their colors this Blizzcon

General Discussion
11/10/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Snowfox
Good god, it's almost like they are a business.

At least I know what I am dressing up as next Hallow's Eve: a phone.
11/10/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Hypheria
It's not paranoid to look at a set of actions a company takes and then divine that it's possible that the reach into the mobile market could be a permanent one.

Divesting resources into one thing usually comes at the expense of something else as money like anything is finite.

Calling it paranoid is lazy and dishonest.

My bad. They're just looking at something that Blizzard is doing and coming up with the worst possible future and freaking out about something that might never happen.

And investing into the mobile market is fine, as long as the stuff can pay for itself. Look at Hearthstone for an example.
Blizzard did absolutely nothing to infer anyone is being replaced. They are not moving away from the PC/Console market. They are simply adding a new market to their portfolio

Was their Diablo display bad? Yes. Could they have saved it all and had people excited be a simple 15 cinematic that just showed the letters "Diablo V"? Definitely.

Are people over reacting? Definitely. Should they still be annoyed or mad? Sure. But people are definitely taking it to an extreme.
Cool, there's no sign they will be.

The whole "oh no I might get a brother and my parents will send me away" hysteria is just that - hysteria.

Then why are people in an uproar over Diablo Immortal? Are they all hysterical?

Yes.

They don't have to play the mobile game. The mobile game doesn't mean there won't be another Diablo PC game.

Don't like the idea of a mobile game, don't get it. Then it will either sink or swim with others who may get it.
They were also a business when they built the most successful, genre-defining MMORPG of all time, and they did it without monetize everything they possibly could.
Lots of folks find how Blizz is currently doing business distasteful, and I don't blame them. It's a shocking contrast to compare modern Blizz to the team that made top quality game after top quality game and built a bullet-proof reputation for making excellent games. Old Blizz proved you can be a successful business simply by producing high quality products people want to buy, you don't have to nickle and dime your customers by taking advantage of base urges and poor impulse control to make money.
11/10/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/10/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Hypheria

Right, but currently the release video for Diablo Immortal is sitting at like 4k likes, 230,000 dislikes.

So if you're talking about hysterical ninnies afraid of being "replaced" then you're talking about virtually everybody. They're all just hysterical. For no reason.

No justification or rationale at all. Right?

You keep trying to shift things over to elsewhere.

The claim that "wow is being replaced by mobile" isn't reflected in Diablo votes on youtube.

You won't answer a simple question but I'm the one who's shifting. Sad!

And you're not going to answer because you know how stupid it sounds to suggest that all the backlash and all the people who hate Diablo Immortal are hysterical and you're the only voice of reason.

The same voice of reason who has no idea what Blizzard is thinking and yet can somehow divine that Blizzard is going to continue investing equal resources into WoW while also venturing into mobile gaming.
11/10/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Hypheria
11/10/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Snowfox
You keep trying to shift things over to elsewhere.

The claim that "wow is being replaced by mobile" isn't reflected in Diablo votes on youtube.

You won't answer a simple question but I'm the one who's shifting. Sad!

And you're not going to answer because you know how stupid it sounds to suggest that all the backlash and all the people who hate Diablo Immortal are hysterical and you're the only voice of reason.

The same voice of reason who has no idea what Blizzard is thinking and yet can somehow divine that Blizzard is going to continue investing equal resources into WoW while also venturing into mobile gaming.

Which topic do you want to discuss?

"That wow pc will be replaced by mobile"

"That diablo fans are upset"

If you want to discuss the second, okay. There's diablo forums for diablo fans. Discussing it here is just rabble-rousing and off-topic. That's why the mods keep moving the threads.

If you want to discuss the first, then yeah - that's hysteria because it's not going to happen.

Such an ignorant statement. No one is saying they aren't a business. But rather the crappy way they are doing business.

You're more annoying than Raistlin.
11/10/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Soulprison

Such an ignorant statement. No one is saying they aren't a business. But rather the crappy way they are doing business.

Eh, people here are always saying that about Blizzard, they probably always will.

Most of this just looks like players salty that the mobile market is so large.. and they're hurt not feeling like the prom queen anymore.
I am 110% sure their color is blue
If you want to discuss the first, then yeah - that's hysteria because it's not going to happen.

You know this how? People said Trump would never happen. And yet here we are.

Seemingly unrelated but my point is that only self-assured morons think they know the future. There's been enough data points to make a trend in Blizzard's decision making process here.

With the excessive RNG to increase playtime for the sake of playtime, the venture into mobile gaming, the awe-inspiring arrogance in ignoring player feedback and going ahead with disasterous decisions that they were warned about.....it all speaks to a self-assured arrogance and stupidity that doesn't bode well for the future.

At least for WoW anyway.

^That's the point behind the outrage behind Diablo Immortal. No one gives a sh!t about mobile just like gamers never got up in arms about Fallout Shelter (the mobile companion app that came with FO4).

No one cared because people understood Bethesda's business model and where this was all going.

That intent isn't clear with Blizzard. That's why it's not hysteria and that's why you're wrong, Green Text.
11/10/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Hypheria

You know this how? People said Trump would never happen. And yet here we are.

That intent isn't clear with Blizzard. That's why it's not hysteria and that's why you're wrong, Green Text.

Pass.
cy@ nerd
you guys do understand they are a business right? I know there is a fine line of making the consumer happy and making money. Every company in the world, gaming or not, primary goal is turning a profit. If you think different, pull your head out of the sand. I think Blizzard made some mistakes but they know how to walk the fine line, they are not idiots.
11/10/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Bastadinn
you guys do understand they are a business right? I know there is a fine line of making the consumer happy and making money. Every company in the world, gaming or not, primary goal is turning a profit. If you think different, pull your head out of the sand. I think Blizzard made some mistakes but they know how to walk the fine line, they are not idiots.

It is kind of weird to me, how I get called fanboi so much.. but then I watch people going "I thought Blizzard cared more about me than profits!" and I'm like "what.. in the hell.. would ever have led you to believe that about a business?"
OP is right...

Most people aren't outraged when Blizzard tries to earn money. People are outraged when their long standing quality and passion takes a vacation while corporate and share holder interests are sought out and met fully at the expense of the consumer.

Diablo Mobile wouldn't have been such a travesty (BTW it's not even made by Blizzard, what a joke...) if Blizzard had something tangible to show at their Diablo reveal portion of Blizzcon. Instead we get a cheap reskin targeting a market not at Blizzcon. It's a stupid business move that should be chastised.

Now to add insult to injury fools at Blizzard are telling us their best devs are working on more mobile projects, all while their primary IPs and games are miserably failing. Failing to the extent that the community has been demanding remasters of their classic games (which have been huge successes... AGAIN) such as StarCraft, WarCraft III, and World of WarCraft.

Blizzard is essentially telling its customers, in many cases of 20+ years, to shove it because they are moving to China to hit a mobile market that could be far more fruitful with far less effort. No wonder their top guys quit, the company is spiraling down and people are jumping ship.
11/10/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Snowfox
I think the point is that they would prefer not to be left behind as Blizzard pursues other markets to tap into.

Cool, there's no sign they will be.

The whole "oh no I might get a brother and my parents will send me away" hysteria is just that - hysteria.

Sign?

It was pretty explicit. DI is mobile only not PC. There are no new PC projects in the pipe. "Other projects" obviously don't include a PC release. If they did, Blizzard would have thrown that bone out there to quiet discord. Didn't happen.

Starcraft = dead
Diablo - gone mobile
HoTS - failed
HS - ported to mobile
OW - esports, anyone?
WoW - a budget shaved mess in decline since after MoP. It is obvious that no major resources are being poured into WoW development. Obvious.
11/10/2018 11:00 AMPosted by Velara
Starcraft = dead
Diablo - gone mobile
HoTS - failed
HS - ported to mobile
OW - esports, anyone?
WoW - a budget shaved mess in decline since after MoP. It is obvious that no major resources are being poured into WoW development. Obvious.

I mean sure, handwaving is easy. All the above "handwaved as crap"

You know, except for the literal billions they are raking in.

The more you have to repeat 'obvious' though, the less I believe it. It feels forced. Wow is just as "obviously" still getting lots of funding, even if we disagree with certain points like azerite gear & gcd changes.
I think there is just a disconnect between current blizzard and Blizzcon. Why pretend that you care about hardcore fans when you don't. Just get rid of it. And they probably will once people stop going or once the PR simply gets too bad.
11/10/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/10/2018 11:00 AMPosted by Velara
Starcraft = dead
Diablo - gone mobile
HoTS - failed
HS - ported to mobile
OW - esports, anyone?

I mean sure, handwaving is easy. All the above "handwaved as crap"

You know, except for the literal billions they are raking in.

The more you have to repeat 'obvious' though, the less I believe it. It feels forced. Wow is just as "obviously" still getting lots of funding, even if we disagree with certain points like azerite gear & gcd changes.

Your deflection doesn't change the facts. Don't you recognize that the removal of complex character mechanics, fresh content (I mean WQ, really? Just recycled leveling quests); less content; fake content (mission tables) smaller real estate; level scaling; added layered RNG and time gating; removal of player options -- etc. are the result of fewer development resources?

When you have lots of fresh content and complexity, and a world full of player options (i.e., no dedicated path to max level; no "required" activities for player travel; loot options; non-punitive-grouping options -- you don't need time-gating and massive RNG ... you have dedicated mobs with dedicated loot drops and tier sets. But that takes time, and time is money.

It is evident to me, anyway, that the game is being shaved down to a nub in order to cut costs. Given the information we now know about Blizzard's mobile plans, and the fact that it didn't just create a brand new IP for that market, but instead, shoveled a PC franchise into it (exclusively), the handwriting is pretty clear to me. Obvious, one might say.