Blizz has shown their colors this Blizzcon

General Discussion
11/10/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Snowfox
I think the point is that they would prefer not to be left behind as Blizzard pursues other markets to tap into.

Cool, there's no sign they will be.

The whole "oh no I might get a brother and my parents will send me away" hysteria is just that - hysteria.

You haven't been really paying much attention to mobile gaming and how gamers don't like it have you?
11/10/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Snowfox
Good god, it's almost like they are a business.

Doesn't mean they have to go for the lowest common denominator. Don't act like you are enjoying the direction they are going in.

The whole "oh no I might get a brother and my parents will send me away" hysteria is just that - hysteria.

You haven't been really paying much attention to mobile gaming and how gamers don't like it have you?

On the contrary, as a primarily pc-based developer myself I've been paying a LOT of attention to mobile development.

Realize that as a developer I'm purely practical. I'm going to try and target platforms that can reach the most amount of people. To that end, I'd be a bad developer if I didn't also develop my mobile skills.

Then why are people in an uproar over Diablo Immortal? Are they all hysterical?

It's not about the game it was about mobile only being presented to PC lovers of the game,which is a downgrade in the game from adult content to pg.They also said they were taking the dev from pc to mobile to make more games which caused a stirring backlash on the company ,that didn't mean they weren't making more of the game ,just they wanted a different way of the gaming.

Perceptions caused people to think they're losing to mobile only gaming with all the bells and whistles.This was not what they wanted ,though it is good marketing, it was badly placed.
11/10/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/10/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Hypheria

What about Reddit, YouTube and virtually any other website or platform where people can send feedback on Diablo Immortal? They're all hysterical too?

I don't care about there.

I'm talking about here, in these wow forums.

Here, in these wow forums, the doomsaying about how Diablo.. or the doomsaying about how wow is going to be replaced by mobile - yes THAT is people being hysterical.
Most people here dont play Diablo or only played for a few hours. They're just copying those on the Diablo forums complaining about DI simply because it's something else to complain about.

They've always been a business, the main difference is that the Blizzard that we once respected made money by creating trully memorable and borderline genius games, captivating a devoted customer base willing to throw money at them (I was one of them).

Now their strategy is to milk well established franchicses with cheap Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj quality games with the least possible investment and effort to collect quick bucks.

There is a difference.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

On the contrary, as a primarily pc-based developer myself I've been paying a LOT of attention to mobile development.

Realize that as a developer I'm purely practical. I'm going to try and target platforms that can reach the most amount of people. To that end, I'd be a bad developer if I didn't also develop my mobile skills.

I get that I really do but at the end of the day all mobile gaming ever was, was a way to as someone said it earlier nickel and dime folks to get them buy crap they don't need. Buisnesses need to make a profit no one is debating that here but blizzard proved before they could make a profit without having to get seriously greedy about it.
11/10/2018 10:17 AMPosted by Sinistrë
This is what happens when Activision gets ahold of your games.

No this is what happens when you cater to consolers chasing that buck!!!
11/10/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Turamhardt
11/10/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Snowfox
I don't care about there.

I'm talking about here, in these wow forums.

Here, in these wow forums, the doomsaying about how Diablo.. or the doomsaying about how wow is going to be replaced by mobile - yes THAT is people being hysterical.
Most people here dont play Diablo or only played for a few hours. They're just copying those on the Diablo forums complaining about DI simply because it's something else to complain about.

That's hogwash you don't know who played what for how long dude all this post did was make you out to be an !@#.
11/10/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Andrin
I get that I really do but at the end of the day all mobile gaming ever was, was a way to as someone said it earlier nickel and dime folks to get them buy crap they don't need.

I mean, if we remove 'mobile' from your statement, it's still just as true.
11/10/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Snowfox

Not questioning Blizzard's foray into mobile.

Questioning the conversion of an established PC franchise with an established and dedicated customer base, to mobile. Diablo is a dark themed game and definitely not PG. The absence of an entry from this franchise for the PC for the last six years, coupled with the announcement that the next Diablo would be mobile only, does not bode well for the PC future of this franchise. In addition, Blizzard's veiled references to "other projects" seems to lend further support to the conclusion that PC Diablo is finished.

There have not been any new PC entries, or installments for existing games, other than WoW (and we can talk about BfA's quality another time) for at least 6 years.

What are Blizzard devs doing if not developing PC games?
11/10/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/10/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Andrin
I get that I really do but at the end of the day all mobile gaming ever was, was a way to as someone said it earlier nickel and dime folks to get them buy crap they don't need.

Maybe for microtransactions god I hate those too. But I haven't gotten the feeling of being ripped off by most other games heck I don't even mind DLC either.
Nothing you can't do. Customers/players have always been just source of money for blizzard. They just put more effort back then when WoW was their main source of income. Now that they're big, it's only bad for the players because they can be more aggressive with their money making scheme
11/10/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Andrin
11/10/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Snowfox

Maybe for microtransactions god I hate those too. But I haven't gotten the feeling of being ripped off by most other games heck I don't even mind DLC either.

Well, I don't do much mobile gaming myself. Dabbled in some unity dev, some android.. but I'm not a game dev. I love pc's, the multimonitor kbm experience.. but I'm not really worried that they're going to suddenly abandon that. I do think there is a strong possibility of 'wow on phones' in some form, but I don't see it as a replacement.. it could come in the form of a more complex mobile app than we have no, but perhaps with the ability to move about. The future is hard to say but I don't feel threatened that PC is going to be abandoned. I just don't.
11/10/2018 11:26 AMPosted by Velara
Questioning the conversion of an established PC franchise with an established and dedicated customer base, to mobile. Diablo is a dark themed game and definitely not PG. The absence of an entry from this franchise for the PC for the last six years, coupled with the announcement that the next Diablo would be mobile only, does not bode well for the PC future of this franchise. In addition, Blizzard's veiled references to "other projects" seems to lend further support to the conclusion that PC Diablo is finished.

The Diablo mobile game is being farmed out to another company to develop. This means it doesn't take away anyone from potentially working on Diablo 4.

Also, it was 12 years between D2 and D3, six years is nothing compared to that wait.

Who would ever have known a business is there to make money... Man I must be in the twilight zone thinking this.
11/10/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/10/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Hypheria
Then why are people in an uproar over Diablo Immortal? Are they all hysterical?

The ones here, in these wow forums?

Yes.

Yes they are.

So does that translate to the 100's of thousands of people that have posted on other forums, and clicked the dislike button on Youtube just straight up hysterical? Because by your logic, they must be.

So please, go to Youtube and comment on how all of the people that dislike the Diablo decision there are hysterical, just because they choose to use that forum to show their displeasure.

Just saying SF.
IMO Blizzard has lost their way.

That doesn't excuse anti-consumer practices.
11/10/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Josh

That doesn't excuse anti-consumer practices.

Might have to be specific on what those are for that debate.