Downvote option

General Discussion
There should be a downvote option for forum posts on WoW forums. Much like how diablo forums are.

There is an upvote, to see how much people like a particular post or idea.

Downvotes would let people easily identify trolls and allow blizzard (and everyone else) to quickly determine the general consesus on ideas/posts.
We used to have a downvote option.

It didn't improve the forums, not one little bit.
11/11/2018 10:52 AMPosted by Snowfox

Do you know why they were removed? Did it improve forums removing them?
Diablo players are mature enough to handle it.

WoW players will just use it for abuse, against the minority opinion, to feel good because they're on the winning team.

I shudder when I think about it because you're all turning around and voting like this is actual rl elections. You'd vote for a tyrant if you thought he'd win, because it inflates your self-esteem to be right.
11/11/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Dwarfmage

I think it did a little. Players are more encouraged to actually state their views, instead of just clicking downvote. Upvotes remain, so there's still some of the 'see the trends' to it. It's just less nasty. With downvotes, people would really vote 'twice'. They'd upvote their side and downvote the other side. There's no need for that. Now they just upvote their side.
there was one

but sensitive kids got their feelings hurt when people downvoted their bad ideas.

Did it improve it in anyway by taking that option away though?

Yes, players are now encouraged to voice why they dislike something which holds a lot more insight then a simple thumbs down.
@snowfox
Youre arguments make a lot of sense, after perusing the forums I guess I can see why they removed it.

...but just imagine, if we had downvote, you could downvote my post ;P
11/11/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Annastasi
there was one

but sensitive kids got their feelings hurt when people downvoted their bad ideas.

nah its the opposite actually

sensitive kids downvoted differing opinions.
Downvoting is supposed to be a "bad post" button, not "this opinion is wrong" button.
11/11/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Dwarfmage
@snowfox
Youre arguments make a lot of sense, after perusing the forums I guess I can see why they removed it.

I don't need to. You see, if I have an actual reason I disagree, I can post it.

:)
11/11/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Dwarfmage
@snowfox

TBH I wouldn't though. You're not being rude to me. You're arguing sincerely about what you believe. We're just engaging in discussion about it.. and everything's alright. I mean, I probably won't -upvote- you since you're an opposing view, but I don't expect you to upvote me either. Doesn't mean we can't still just discuss it like humans.
The latter part of my last post was supposed to be a joke :(

Im not funny on the internet
11/11/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Dwarfmage

No removing them did not. However, they increase moderation for a time after the removal which made it look like the forums were better off for the removal.
11/11/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Aliandrin
Diablo players are mature enough to handle it.

WoW players will just use it for abuse, against the minority opinion, to feel good because they're on the winning team.

I shudder when I think about it because you're all turning around and voting like this is actual rl elections. You'd vote for a tyrant if you thought he'd win, because it inflates your self-esteem to be right.

I would downvote you because that is some of the biggest bunch of nonsense I have seen on this forum lately.
Downvoting only helped the sheep mentality here.
11/11/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Amine
they increase moderation for a time after the removal which made it look like the forums were better off for the removal.

I think overall that's the better approach.

If things are so bad that moderation is a solution, then it's beyond just needing downvoting. It needs more active moderation - and we do seem to be getting that, for better or worse.
11/11/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Dwarfmage
There should be a downvote option for forum posts on WoW forums. Much like how diablo forums are.

People here misused it. That is why they removed it.

Downvotes were mainly used to "disagree" with a person's post, rather than specifically for someone "trolling." So they did not work.

An example is that I can only do LFR, as far as anything resembling a "raid." I mostly solo, am not the social "belle of the ball", and I'm not going to try to woo some people who raid (nor pay them in some way.)

I should not downvote a post where someone says LFR is bad, if they give a well thought out argument as to "why." Nor should they just arbitrarily downvote me if I reasonably say why I require it.

Did removing it improve things? I think so, because people also used it as kind of a "bully" thing. Like they'd see "that poster with a high post count"(not talking about myself), then just downvote what they said in the thread. They'd do this no matter what the person was saying, just targeting them. Sometimes they'd even SAY this, "Downvoting because Blah's post."
If I remember correctly the implementation of the down vote system was kind of poor.

If you had so many down votes it would bury the post and actually hide it. You would have to click on the post to read it. It was Blizzards way of letting people say what that wanted with a minimum of interference. But, like all things, it was abused and people would down vote just to troll the poster and hide their post.

Blizzard got tired of all the complaints, it caused a tech support problems, etc. etc. So it was handled in Blizzard style and eliminated.

In my opinion, if they were going to get rid of the down vote, they should have gotten rid of the up vote as well. Or, display both, the up votes and the down votes without burying the post.

Either way, it had zero affect on the forums, and to tell you the truth, the forums have gotten a bit more 'randy' as of late. That might simply be because it is almost time for the 'Blizzard' of flying threads that usually pop up when the player base gets bored.