Gearing up alts this xpac: A joke?

General Discussion
The problem with alts is you don't have AP on your neck, even if you have a guild who will smash through raids and funnel you loot, you will still be way behind the AP curve, even with the weekly catchup mechanic you wont ever catch up to someone who has strictly played one character.

Putting an endless XP grind at max level is what has hurt alts the most, I might play one when the xpac is almost over and you get 10 billion AP with one quest, but I wouldn't ever catch up to a point where an alt would be progression ready, unless I dedicated an innordinant about of time to it, but I don't need to play an 8 hour shift of wow every day.

The last time I played multiple classes in high end content was wrath, where you could have your guild funnel a new alt gear and be ready for raiding.
11/11/2018 05:23 PMPosted by Northaunt
This has to be the absolute most anti-alt expansion ever. I cannot believe the godawful RNG in raids here. Gold and sanguicrap. Alt after alt, even on mains.

RNG has always been there but never as bad as its been now. I look forward to spending time each week for the same junk.

EDIT: Im talking about gear drops IN RAIDS and DUNGEONS overall. Not getting to item level 340. Big difference.
I changed my main to my warlock for my guild. I got geared up in a week to replace this toon. So.... I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Of all the problems in BfA, this is a ridiculous one to complain about. Gearing up alts is fine. The only major issue is reorigination array stacks, which admittedly are pretty BS.
11/11/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Pepetux
11/11/2018 05:23 PMPosted by Northaunt
This has to be the absolute most anti-alt expansion ever

NOPE

legion was

I very much agree with this. Even with all the hoops, Blizzard did listen, and this is an improvement.
11/11/2018 05:40 PMPosted by Kenshimoo
I mean, I have 4 characters above 340 item level and I haven't even been trying to gear them. Gear falls from the heavens this expansion, an easier time for alts has never been had.

Sure, it sucks if you're aiming for specific items, but as far as just raising your item level goes? It's ridiculously easy and takes little time at all.

The OP is talking about raiding. I feel his pain because I have been in Uldir since it came out. I can't break ilvl 370. I have been super unlucky with drops. A fellow guildie started raiding with us halfway through Uldir and he started at 340 I was 360. He is now 371 and I am 367. The RNG is awful in this game.
This is the easiest expansion ever to gear up in. You get a quest for a 370 every three weeks, a world boss each week for 355+ (plus the Arathi Highlands world boss the week after you finish the WF, for another shot at 370) and emissary quests now rewarding up to 370 ilvl armor sets.

Hell my rogue alt who I hardly even play has done one wing of LFR and no mythics but it already sitting at 356. If I actually put any effort into him, he could easily improve upon that.
11/11/2018 06:39 PMPosted by Listen
11/11/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Paladina
Gearing up to 340-350 is not hard and does not take very long at all.

I can barely get into dungeons with LFG. Will just doing WQs get you to 340?

Well past it, combined with Warfronts and Arathi rares. All of my five 120 alts are 340+, some 350+, and none have ever done a single raid or dungeon above LFD Normal. And only one alt has done a dungeon at all.

But put more concisely:

11/11/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Caelin
This is the easiest expansion ever to gear up in.

...and it's all because of the Arathi Warfront. Best thing to happen for alts since they introduced Vashreen, or maybe Wakening Essense.
Yea, if you dont raid gearing up alts is easy, if you want to actually raid on your new alt good luck with your lack of array stacks and complete lack of AP.

If you didn't decide to swap characters right when uldir dropped or was only a week old you are basically married to the character, when the next raid tier drops you will have a better shot since im sure the new raid has a stacking buff just like uldir, and by then your champions rep will be account wide so thats one less grind, but you will never catch up to a player who has been playing the same spec as your new alt and just been laser focused on their main.

Yea, if you just want to hit 120 and afk in warfronts to 340, its a great xpac, if you actually want to raid your basically screwed unless your guild doesn't care about progression.
Legion wasn't much better.
Gearing up alts in this expansion is so Easy it's not even funny.

< This is my alt

I hardly put anytime in him and my neck is 1 lvl below my main, and I'm almost all epics.

Legion was far, FAR meaner towards gearing an alt (at least in the beginning).
alting is easy af. ding, WQ, heroics a bit if you're unlucky, warfronts/lfr, boom you're 340. this is an alt.

more than one MAIN is not easy and it shouldn't be that is the same path your main is taking. over and over and over again any time you want a new raiding alt. which is a main.
11/11/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Southrnrebel

< This is my alt

I hardly put anytime in him and my neck is 1 lvl below my main, and I'm almost all epics.

Yeah my primary alt's neck is like two levels below my main's. It's not an issue at all.

People forget how alt-destroying the Legion AP and relic grind was prior to 7.2. Even 7.1 sucked azz for alts. It was not until AP scaling went in that it became tolerable.
You can’t be serious

You really can’t
Let's make this clear, this expanion is easy to gear in. Also, 340 is not geared it wouldn't even get you invited to m+ or even normal uldir most of the time.

Not that I think gearing over that level should be quick.
11/11/2018 09:19 PMPosted by Flaggedtitle
Let's make this clear, this expanion is easy to gear in. Also, 340 is not geared it wouldn't even get you invited to m+ or even normal uldir most of the time.

Not that I think gearing over that level should be quick.

Yeah, the fact that there is a social problem with LFG and LFR requiring people to be overgeared for content does not imply the expansion has a gearing problem.

It’s almost as if these PvE Hero key holders reject people that won’t be able to carry them.
11/11/2018 07:22 PMPosted by Chikishi
11/11/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Southrnrebel

< This is my alt

Yeah my primary alt's neck is like two levels below my main's. It's not an issue at all.

People forget how alt-destroying the Legion AP and relic grind was prior to 7.2. Even 7.1 sucked azz for alts. It was not until AP scaling went in that it became tolerable.

In legion, we were locked into ONE SPEC for over six months due to legendaries and separate weapon AP grind for each spec. You needed to commit to a spec.

In BFA, we can freely play all specs and not be gimped. No legendaries, no separate weapon AP grinds. Hence, we have time to play more characters.
Rng can be cruel maybe? Got some people gearing their alt raid wise faf. Others trying to get other people to switch specs for chance at same piece.
I have no clue what your point is about getting gear in raids and how it specifically applies to alts.
I have 3 characters at or over 33 ilvl. I find this expac to be pretty alt friendly this early on in comparison to previous expacs, eventhe leveling of 110 to 120 was fairly quick. I leveled one of mine in less than a day play time, if i stayed up i couldve gotten it done all in one off work day. This character hasnt even been 120 a full week and has already just passed 330 only thru world quests, lfr, and the warfront quest. And when we have warfront you can almost get a full set of 340s if you keep doing them and kill all the arathi rares.

There are some alt friendly things id like added, but i think this has been the most alt friendly expac from launch.

Also, when has gear drops in raids and dungeons ever been very good. Before personal loot the stuff that dropped would seem like stuff you didn't need or youd have to roll for it, and qith personal loot at least you get a spec specific item when something does drop. The only sucky thing is when something drops that youve already had drop... seems to happen a bit this expac.
11/11/2018 09:36 PMPosted by Anacrussys
11/11/2018 07:22 PMPosted by Chikishi

In legion, we were locked into ONE SPEC for over six months due to legendaries and separate weapon AP grind for each spec. You needed to commit to a spec.

In BFA, we can freely play all specs and not be gimped. No legendaries, no separate weapon AP grinds. Hence, we have time to play more characters.

QFT. In the rush to criticize this expansion, the forums seem to have forgotten what a slog Legion was until they fixed all that.