Stormheim was justified

Story Forum
Prev 1 6 7 8
11/14/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Vozul
11/14/2018 10:55 AMPosted by Darethy
Which in itself is contrived because we don't even know WHY the Night Elves joined the Alliance to begin with.

I ask myself this every time I wake up in the morning.

I mean, Night Elves wouldn't really fit with the Horde wither. Especially with the Forsaken.... the Alliance was just a better fit, but realistically, the Night Elves should have been their own, separate, 3rd faction.
11/14/2018 11:17 AMPosted by Akiyass

I mean, Night Elves wouldn't really fit with the Horde wither. Especially with the Forsaken.... the Alliance was just a better fit, but realistically, the Night Elves should have been their own, separate, 3rd faction.

I'd say the Night Elves fit well with the Horde if we traded Forsaken for them.

Then the Horde would solidly be a nature worshiping warrior faction and the Alliance would have a Light vs Shadow dichotomy between Stormwind and their Lordaeronian cousins that could be really interesting.

Meanwhile the Horde would have a neat balance between the isolationist night elves and the expansionist orcs, as well as some conflict between the night elves and trolls that could be fun to see explored. But they'd all share a theme of nature worshiping warrior races trying to survive in an ever changing world.
11/14/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Kisin
11/14/2018 11:17 AMPosted by Akiyass

I'd say the Night Elves fit well with the Horde if we traded Forsaken for them.

Then the Horde would solidly be a nature worshiping warrior faction and the Alliance would have a Light vs Shadow dichotomy between Stormwind and their Lordaeronian cousins that could be really interesting.

Meanwhile the Horde would have a neat balance between the isolationist night elves and the expansionist orcs, as well as some conflict between the night elves and trolls that could be fun to see explored. But they'd all share a theme of nature worshiping warrior races trying to survive in an ever changing world.

Nelfs arent isolationist, if they where, they wouldnt have been the ones who helped and gave land to the draenei, and helped the worgen with there stuff.
It is interesting to reimagine the Nelves being Horde and the Forsaken being Alliance. That would've actually been a really really interesting dynamic. But I guess they did it the other way to give a capital to both factions on both continents (which now for some reason they decided to destroy). Either way I love the Night Elves being apart of the Alliance and I imagine the lore reasons leading to it have to do with continued Orcish raids into Ashenvale, even if these were not approved of by Thrall. I think we should get a scenario where we see the moment the Nelves joined the Alliance. With Tyrande and Bolvar or whoever the hell it would have been shaking hands and agreeing to common values and principles. There should also be a scenario where we see when the Forsaken joined the Horde, where we hear Sylvanas typical Machivelian rhetoric convincing Thrall to let them in.
11/14/2018 02:21 PMPosted by Katiera
Nelfs arent isolationist, if they where, they wouldnt have been the ones who helped and gave land to the draenei, and helped the worgen with there stuff.

They were pretty close to isolationist at least until the Third War.

Chronicles, Vol. 3, Page 70
The night elves kept to Hyjal's woodlands, only rarely straying into far-flung lands.

This vigil did not extend to the Eastern Kingdoms. Tyrande Whisperwind and her people were partially aware of events transpiring across the Great Sea, but they rarely intervened. When they did, their activities were always subtle and unseen

The druids were the first to notice the plague of undeath killing the wilds as it spread across the Eastern Kingdoms. From within the Emerald Dream, their spirits reached out to the physical world to stop the blight. Yet they had little success. Some of these druids told Tyrande of what was happening. Though she maintained her isolationism, she sensed a familiar force at work behind the plage.

She sensed the Legion.
11/14/2018 02:21 PMPosted by Katiera
Nelfs arent isolationist
Well, they sort of are and aren't.

It depends on the context. Since Kisin is comparing them to Orcs, they are pretty isolationist, least when it comes to their actual territories. Kaldorei don't stake claims to foreign soil/land that isn't theirs, unless for a good reason or temporarily.

Draenei crashed landed on a unremarkable island that happened to be near Teldrassil. Since you cannot really tell them to leave, on account for their way of getting there is wrekt, they decided to let them have it. Also, in the same vein as Shatterspear Trolls, since they were non-hostile, there was no point in being uncooperative.

The Worgen is more like... Kaldorei taking responsibility. Since it was one of theirs that released the Worgen curse/spirits into the material world of Azeroth, though they did do it during the Legion Invasion so they have good enough reasoning. It's along the lines of; 'Oh no, I'm sorry that you got afflicted and lost your city. Here, we'll help you control the feral side of it and give you a temporary home in Darnassus.'

At least that's my take away for it, it'll vary from person to person.
11/14/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Calixto

I also don't want to use the Blood rage as a cop out to justify those bad choices. Not all Worgen go "awooo bow wow woof grrrr" at the drop of a hat. His anger is attributed to him long before he became a Worgen. It's a Genn flaw, not a Worgen flaw.

I mean. We don't really know that because Blizzard doesn't bother to flesh out Worgen lore. We only get bits and pieces of what COULD possibly be side-effects of the curse without actual confirmation.

All we really know is that the Worgen form is somehow tied to emotion. When the mission table soldier in the garrison lost her lover, she changed forms and was said she may never retain her human form again.

At this point, we just kind of assume that most (if not all) Worgen have poor anger management.