Feral: Bloodtalons

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
08/29/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Seph
Bloodtalons
Bloodtalons does a great job at adding complexity to the rotation, but we're not sure the method in which it does that is right for the spec long-term. Bloodtalons asks you to frequently cast a Regrowth in exchange for its buff, which in a group/raid, means either you're required to keep an eye on group/raid frames (which is a lot to ask) or you make a macro to mindlessly cast Regrowth on yourself (which isn't great).
Still not addressed despite the blue post stating intentions. It either needs to be redesigned or removed completely as it's mechanics are not good for the modern game, where utility is lost on another maintenance buff that is on the GCD alongside the need to coordinate it's application on Rip and Rake. I appreciate that it may be enjoyable for a number of players, it also does not feel good for those to disagree with it's playstyle. When this degree of polarisation is behind a talent, we get issues in how it's tuned, how the spec is presented to others, causing a stigma.

I guess it can be improved by simply making it yet another ability (off the GCD) that is procced from PS. Which adds to a bloat where it's just another TF to maintain.

As a spitball idea, you could synergise the interaction into TF, and would very much recommend a similar mechanic from Rogue's Elaborate Planning where CP spenders increase TF's damage bonus by X% for Xsec.

I would like to see this interaction baseline to rectify issues we've had in the past, where talents had defined instead of augmented the principle mechanics behind a spec, which had caused the issues and stigmas from Legion up to now.

Edit to clarify, and to focus on the issues behind Bloodtalons:
08/29/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Seph
Bloodtalons asks you to frequently cast a Regrowth in exchange for its buff
In the developer's words, Bloodtalons (a maintenance buff) is frequently applied by wasting a utility proc on yourself in Regrowth. Furthermore, this instant cast Regrowth which applies the buff is on the GCD. So, we have a frequently used maintenance buff which triggers the GCD on application, and restricts the player from using PS in a utility setting.
Not to mention LI is the only talent we have to gain more control over BT. If we are forced to react in PvP m+ or raid and use our PS outside of ideal rotational order then we could use LI to generate CPs.

Now sabertooth competes against LI and, at least for PvP Rot Comp sabertooth is a must and so is LI for the functionality above.

Please consider these things bliz. Talk to us.
Not every talent needs to be easy to use. Its fine if bloodtalons requires more management. The healing side effect of regrowth can actually be quite nice.
11/12/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Plytofski
Not every talent needs to be easy to use. Its fine if bloodtalons requires more management. The healing side effect of regrowth can actually be quite nice.
If that talent is tuned appropriately. While we still have talents that further increase the value of Bloodtalon's effects (Sabertooth), this is still very much an issue.

While it can be easy to "pick another talent", it's the fact that increased snapshot that feeds into other talents that makes tuning significantly harder to nail down.

To say it's fine that Bloodtalon's requires more management is ignoring the issues behind the mechanic itself that when you have a percentage of players that disagree with the talent's design, it further promotes the problem and stigma.
11/12/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Plytofski

It's not the difficulty that is an issue. It's the fact we are actively wasting our utility of the instant regrowth or roots to better our rotation.
I am not in the boat of people saying to scrap and replace. If they do it, I won't be mad, but I actually very much like the complexity. Just don't make me ditch my utility for DPS. Feral is already gimped on utility as is. It's brutal in an M+ where I see my tank drop and I throw an insta regrowth on him to be docked DPS for such a manuver