Faction removal?

General Discussion
Read a thread awhile back asking for this, because factions have no meaning, anymore?

Do you really feel like this?

I have the Horde insignia tattooed on my forearm... So Factions mean everything to me.
Factions don't have meaning anymore. Factions only work if there are characters and ideas to support them, which drive a story forward. BfA has no story, no characters and no ideas. Only functions.

The Horde's function is to be aggressive until they implode.

The Alliance's function is to sit back and be passive until the war ends.

We've seen this so many times before.
Let's see...
-Faction war expanssion
-Midway thru the big bad boy comes to play
-Alliance and horde stick together to defeat said big bad boy
-Alliance and horde go into truce because they are both almost destroyed
-Next expansion hits
-A faction attacks the other (99% of the time horde attacks alliance)
-Rinse and repeat
I think I pretty much got it right.
It seems the developers struggle to find meaningful reasons for the factions to continue.
Hell yea factions still exist. Gnomes are stupid, get away from me.
If someone says Faction Removal i will be there to say that i support.
I will go wherever the game takes me. Whether it’s less factions, more factions, or it remains the same. But I would personally prefer the current two faction system. Just my personal opinion and preference. My Horde characters and Alliance characters feel unique in their own way with regards to faction identity and culture.
No, Horde vs Alliance is a cornerstone to the game and its story. Factions will always exist in wow. The factions will never stop hating each other.
11/13/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Enekie
BfA has no story, no characters and no ideas. Only functions.

Typical Nelf response in BFA

Do you play the game the alliance war campaign wasn't very passive and the next raid lol also the next warfront is the alliance trying to retake darkshore
11/13/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Saadet
Let's see...
-Faction war expanssion
-Midway thru the big bad boy comes to play
-Alliance and horde stick together to defeat said big bad boy
-Alliance and horde go into truce because they are both almost destroyed
-Next expansion hits
-A faction attacks the other (99% of the time horde attacks alliance)
-Rinse and repeat
I think I pretty much got it right.

Yup that's pretty much the potential of our developers right there. Once they end this faction crap letting horde and alliance party together. There will be an increase of subs and lesser queue times. PvP can be the same as it's done in ESO, GW2, FFXIV when it comes to faction wars, but in pve story side that's no longer connected.

If anything that should come out of factions are what benefits does it have to increase my character gameplay with their race's racial. I know that's some next level mmorpg concept, but it would be nice to have.
I would love to see the factions dispanded and a new focus put on specific races conflicts and clutures.

Also that way your horde insignia would still hold meaning to the orcs.
Not interested in the factions being dissolved at all.
It is moot:

The basis of Blizzard's "Warcraft" series is that there is a faction war; This is especially true for "World of Warcraft." Blizzard is locked into this, even as it becomes more silly and players move farther away from it.

Did you notice in Legion, how it moved farther away? So then players were asking for Horde to not "tag" their Alliance mobs, while they were out fighting stuff on Broken Shore. "Hey, we should just all be able to participate in regular kills too? "

So then did you see what Blizzard did with BFA? They went further in the opposite direction, making it even MORE about a faction conflict (to the point of sticking Warmode, which was mainly a CS response to the CS problem of people not being able to turn OFF PVP (though marketed as a way for the rest of us to turn ON PVP) )

So it will never change, in spite of what players say.
Well, seeing as how the Horde is experiencing what is basically it's second civil war in the last three expansions, they have really damaged our faction pride.

I'm sure the incoming story will somehow try to fix this, but it's just dumb at this point.
Factions don't have meaning anymore. Factions only work if there are characters and ideas to support them, which drive a story forward. BfA has no story, no characters and no ideas. Only functions.

The Horde's function is to be aggressive until they implode.

We've seen this so many times before.

This is all factually wrong.
11/13/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Nøz
Well, seeing as how the Horde is experiencing what is basically it's second civil war in the last three expansions, they have really damaged our faction pride.

I'm sure the incoming story will somehow try to fix this, but it's just dumb at this point.

Your faction pride was damaged when they added Forsaken to the Horde.

It undermines everything Thrall tried to build the Horde into. It was illogical lore wise.
11/13/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Lathander

Not even a little, I'm afraid.

WoW is a plot-driven game. The characters already don't matter, since their motivations make no sense (see: Anduin refusing to treat this like a war) and they wildly contradict themselves for the sake of moving the plot forward (see: Sylvanas going from Shady to Lich Queen in 60 seconds).

So already, we have no characters. They just do what the plot needs them to do.

Why did Sylvanas attack Teldrassil? Because the plot. Why doesn't Anduin push the attack at the end of the Dazra'alor? Because the plot. Why is the Horde winning? Plot. Why will the Horde lose? Plot. Why didn't the Alliance fight back? Plot. Why will the Alliance win, anyway? Plot.

And on and on and on. You can enjoy it as much as you like. But it's not a story.
11/13/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Enekie
11/13/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Lathander

Not even a little, I'm afraid.

WoW is a plot-driven game. The characters already don't matter, since their motivations make no sense (see: Anduin refusing to treat this like a war) and they wildly contradict themselves for the sake of moving the plot forward (see: Sylvanas going from Shady to Lich Queen in 60 seconds).

So already, we have no characters. They just do what the plot needs them to do.

Why did Sylvanas attack Teldrassil? Because the plot. Why doesn't Anduin push the attack at the end of the Dazra'alor? Because the plot. Why is the Horde winning? Plot. Why will the Horde lose? Plot. Why didn't the Alliance fight back? Plot. Why will the Alliance win, anyway? Plot.

And on and on and on. You can enjoy it as much as you like. But it's not a story.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=QBnrW7DLGIvL_Qa2y5nQBA&ins=false&q=fact&oq=fact&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3..35i39j0i131j46j0l2.5051004.5052950..5053860...1.0..2.177.1465.2j10......0....1.......5..0i71j0i67j0i131i67.Ay2coI3aFUs
I feel compelled to chime in on threads like these because they seem to always get overrun with "lel factions ded". Or sentiments of who cares who we play with.

I don't know if that's just the popular "hot take" to have on the forums but to a lot of players faction is a large part of their player identity.

If this wasn't true why would we see as many people upset over the direction of the horde lately? Largely its's because the entity they've affiliated their identity with is now at odds with said identity.

A core principle of rpgs is to make your players feel unique. That they bring something different to the world. Thats why we have so many filters on characters.
Faction, race, class, spec, profession.

Therefore, if anything happens to weaken the distinction between factions like cross faction raids or more cross faction races I'll have to protest auto quit.
Very interesting approaches.