Prot Warrior changes in 8.1

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
After reading, and testing the changes on the PTR, I feel the 8.1 changes are not nearly enough for prot warriors. One change I heard about not listed below, physical ranged attacks are now blockable. What these changes are still missing is magic damage blocking, a lower cost for Ignore Pain, and ideally a even larger HP boost than proposed.

Ignore Pain Fight through the pain, ignoring 50% of damage taken, up to [(0 + Attack power * 3.5) * (1 + Versatility)] total damage prevented. Cooldown changed from None to 0.5 sec cooldown. No longer on the GCD.

Shield Block Raise your shield, blocking all melee attacks against you for 6 sec. Increases Shield Slam damage by 30% while active. Cooldown changed from 18 sec recharge to 16 sec recharge.

Vanguard Hardened by battle, your Stamina is increased by 40%45%, and your armor is increased by 50%55% of your Strength.

Even if all of the changes listed above were implemented, both confirmed changes and my recommendations, I feel the above changes should have been a hotfix early in the season and are overdue. The confirmed changes do help, but do not solve the struggle alone, hence my call to action. I am hoping we can get some level of assurance that these issues will be watched closely and addressed timely.

I am trying not to go negative. I am respectfully asking for feedback from the dev team on my feedback to understand why the 8.1 changes are some what underwhelming and what the time line is to making further changes.
I know how you feel, I too believe these changes are not enough for me to be lifted from meme tank to actual tank.

To me prot has several huge issues.

1. Ignore pains absorb value is laughable at best. Something needs to change to increase the absorb value for this.

2. No form of self heal, again this is why im always advocating for impending victory to be made base line because this also frees up a talent in our talent trees for something useful.

3. Spell reflect, im not caring about the reflect but to keep the duration even after a spell has been casted.

I mean I can go on but i figure id keep it short
Ip is back on the gcd btw
11/14/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Girlbye

Source ?

All i saw was CD increased from .5 to 1 sec.

To be honest at this point we might as well just all play BDK.

With a monk alt.

Blizzard gives zero you know whats at this point , another M+ season where blood is mandatory.

Affixes like bursting and grievous vs a tank with zero self heals is GG.
11/14/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Protgeta

Source ?

With a monk alt.

Blizzard gives zero you know whats at this point , another M+ season where blood is mandatory.

Again, not trying to go negative. I'm less likely to get a response from anyone official if I do. However, sometimes I feel like its the newest tank class and they just want to focus on that so they don't even try to really make tanking fair and balanced. I worked my tail off as prot, and I do a good job at it on non-crap affix weeks. But a BDK with far less skill has it far easier. That's just not fair, or right.

I don't think the answer is nerfing BDK btw, I think the answer is give a massive HP boost to prot, and make IP cost much less with an occasional free cast, like Revenge. There should also be a far greater benefit to IP, but we still need better blocking that includes magic blocking. Those are just a few changes, but I'm afraid if I ask for a lot I will get nothing. Its a slim chance this post will get picked up at all, but I'm trying.

Edit: I want to point out that Avatar now gives a free IP. Problem is, while Avatar is more useful now, I think Avatar and IP functions should be separate. One should be a sort of DPS boost, the other should be defense. I guess I'm ok with getting a free IP from it, but ultimately IP needs more of a benefit along with a cost reduction. Blocking magic damage and a larger HP is a must and is overdue.

Overall I think they are giving some enhancements to prot, but its not making the build easier to play, it just means more focus on the rotation which is like batman's utility belt to begin with. You have a gadget for everything, but jesus its complicated at times. The core defense of the class/spec is rather weak and if you don't use the entire "belt" to your advantages GG. Also I'd like to point out there there are times you still need to blow it all and there's not much core defense left so then you must turn to kite tanking.

I hate to talk about kite tanking, next thing you know Heroic Leap will be on a huge CD or lower benefit too >.<
If they plan to keep IP as an absorb the total amount it absorbs needs to be a lot higher. Ideally so it is up 90+% of the time not just for a couple hits here and there. If they must reduce the damage reduction from 50% to something like 35%. It could in essence be a reverse stagger mechanic.
11/14/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Themar
If they plan to keep IP as an absorb the total amount it absorbs needs to be a lot higher. Ideally so it is up 90+% of the time not just for a couple hits here and there. If they must reduce the damage reduction from 50% to something like 35%. It could in essence be a reverse stagger mechanic.

Reducing IP to a lower absorb amount would be about the worst idea ever. Two reasons, 1) we need more damage mitigation not less and 2) lesser amounts would mean IP would eat more rage resulting in less damage mitigation.
11/14/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Yeksihw

Source ?

With a monk alt.

Again, not trying to go negative. I'm less likely to get a response from anyone official if I do. However, sometimes I feel like its the newest tank class and they just want to focus on that so they don't even try to really make tanking fair and balanced. I worked my tail off as prot, and I do a good job at it on non-crap affix weeks. But a BDK with far less skill has it far easier. That's just not fair, or right.

I don't think the answer is nerfing BDK btw, I think the answer is give a massive HP boost to prot, and make IP cost much less with an occasional free cast, like Revenge. There should also be a far greater benefit to IP, but we still need better blocking that includes magic blocking. Those are just a few changes, but I'm afraid if I ask for a lot I will get nothing. Its a slim chance this post will get picked up at all, but I'm trying.

Edit: I want to point out that Avatar now gives a free IP. Problem is, while Avatar is more useful now, I think Avatar and IP functions should be separate. One should be a sort of DPS boost, the other should be defense. I guess I'm ok with getting a free IP from it, but ultimately IP needs more of a benefit along with a cost reduction. Blocking magic damage and a larger HP is a must and is overdue.

Overall I think they are giving some enhancements to prot, but its not making the build easier to play, it just means more focus on the rotation which is like batman's utility belt to begin with. You have a gadget for everything, but jesus its complicated at times. The core defense of the class/spec is rather weak and if you don't use the entire "belt" to your advantages GG. Also I'd like to point out there there are times you still need to blow it all and there's not much core defense left so then you must turn to kite tanking.

I hate to talk about kite tanking, next thing you know Heroic Leap will be on a huge CD or lower benefit too >.<

You lost me here, VDH is the newest tank class and has always been average at best.

Blood needs a nerf, it out heals healers in 5 mans......
You lost me here, VDH is the newest tank class and has always been average at best.

Blood needs a nerf, it out heals healers in 5 mans......

You're correct, I misspoke, VDH is the newest tank class. The heart of what I am trying to say was there, but what I said was incorrect in that they appear to be focusing on the newest tank class and it seems they want us to just play BDK. What I should have said should have read "they appear to be focusing on one tank class and it seems they want us to just play BDK".

By the numbers..

23.9% 128,936 Blood Death Knights
21.9% 117,865 Protection Paladins
18.8% 101,130 Vengeance Demon Hunters
12.7% 68,258 Brewmaster Monks
11.9% 63,923 Prot Warriors
11.0% 59,045 Druid Tanks

For the record a DH was able to solo M+ 11 Atal.. https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/40630-mythic11-ataldazar-soloed-by-demon-hunter/

I would argue that bottom three tanks need a HUGE boost, the middle a slightly less boost, and BDK should be left alone. I think BDK is working and it feels good. The solution isn't ruining another class, its fixing the others so the game is playable and enjoyable to everyone no matter what class they play.

As 8.0 is a new xpac class imbalance is to be expected, and has been well discussed. However, its getting more than long in the tooth in terms of lack of balance being implemented. If I have to wait until 8.3 to see the rest of the required changes to prot, if they ever come, I don't think I'd wait. I'm ahead of the curve so to go back at this point and start over isn't worth my time.

Source ?

With a monk alt.

As of this morning I confirmed the PTR still does not have IP back on GCD. There is a slight, but almost nonexistent CD, but that's ok. Again, my overall feeling is that the changes are a step in a right direction, but are overdue and yet not enough.

Top five things needed on the PTR to make prot war competitive:
1) magic damage blocking
2) lower cost for Ignore Pain
3) larger HP boost
4) More up time on Last Stand
a. Also add a 15% HP over 12 seconds HOT function to Last Stand
b. [Bolster] should reduce CD of Last Stand by 1.5 min, up from 1 min
5) [Anger Management] needs to reduce CD of affected spells by 1.5 seconds, up from 1 second

Looking at both Prot War and BDK I think the answer to balance them out with the above proposed changes and confirmed changes is to further reduce the CD on Last Stand and add a secondary affix to it to heal over time. A HOT should not sacrifice the outright healing however, doing so would be a step backwards. An ideal HOT amount would be 15% over 12 seconds.
3 could be accomplished if they made indom baseline, which IDK it's even a talent anymore
11/15/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Girlbye
3 could be accomplished if they made indom baseline, which IDK it's even a talent anymore

I revised my list.

Things needed on the PTR to make prot war competitive:

1) magic damage blocking

2) lower cost for Ignore Pain

3) Make [Indomitable] baseline and increase HP by 15%, up from 10%

4) More up time on Last Stand
a. Also add a 15% HP over 12 seconds HOT function to Last Stand
b. [Bolster] should reduce CD of Last Stand by 1.5 min, up from 1 min

5) [Anger Management] needs to reduce CD of affected spells by 1.5 seconds, up from 1 second