Clicking

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Need some feedback from my clicker friends. No judgement. I'd like to make a video about keybinding if there's a big enough demand for it.

If you're a clicker, how many times have you tried keybinding?

Why do you think keybinding doesn't work for you?

Do you think clicking puts you at a disadvantage? If so why?

Do you want to learn how to keybind?

What area of the game do you focus on? (M+, raiding, exc.)
No real need. I just click the spell I need to cast, boom done. Never felt like I've been held back, nor what pressing a keybind would do that clicking my mouse couldn't.
I only have my fav pets and mounts on my action bars. I click everything from my spellbook.
Some people just have their own comfort zones.

My dad has been typing for 20 years and he still poke-types with his index finger. Granted, he can do it really fast.
10/08/2018 04:41 AMPosted by Vaghrarg
No real need. I just click the spell I need to cast, boom done. Never felt like I've been held back, nor what pressing a keybind would do that clicking my mouse couldn't.

What about turning your camera while you use your skills?

Disengaging or moonkin hopping to go forwards?

Healing players without spending large amounts of time between casts clicking spells to portraits and back again?
I only resort to clicking when I have to kyte tank a lot. Cause walking backwards while pressing keys can be horrible if the keys are too far from my wasd.
I clicked for a good chunk of vanilla, i think the first time i PvP'd and a rogue ran around me and jumped through me repeatedly while spamming /lol at me was what pushed me to start binding lol

What i did was change my A and D keys from being keyboard turn left and right into strafe left and strafe right, that way it frees up Q and E for abilities, it also ensures that you literally cant keyboard turn anymore.

The thing that gets me though, why does this game teach people to click from the start? I mean, all the new tutorial stuff was made pretty recently why the hell wouldn't you teach people to use keybinds and mouse turn from the start? Its such a hard habit to break, seems like madness to teach people the wrong way by default.
10/08/2018 04:41 AMPosted by Vaghrarg

I keybind the majority of my spells but click on the long CD abilities.
I think it's a bit late for me now. I wish I had tried more when I started playing.

I did recently try to use only the keyboard/bindings, but I got frustrated and was making the game more difficult for myself and sad, so I gave up so I could be happy, lol.

I think one time awhile ago I tried to bind them closer to wasd but I screwed something up and, being a creature of habit, I couldn't function like that and reset it all to default.
I've always clicked from EQ until now. I've tried keybinding on my priest when I heal for a 'faster' response rate but I can't tell if I'm at a disadvantage or not. Sometimes I end up casting the wrong spell if doing the keybinds. Overall, I don't feel like I'm slower or at a disadvantage. It's how I play.
10/08/2018 05:11 AMPosted by Saintgabriel
I think it's a bit late for me now. I wish I had tried more when I started playing.

I did recently try to use only the keyboard/bindings, but I got frustrated and was making the game more difficult for myself and sad, so I gave up so I could be happy, lol.

I think one time awhile ago I tried to bind them closer to wasd but I screwed something up and, being a creature of habit, I couldn't function like that and reset it all to default.

I actually made another character of the same class and leveled it up using binds only, gave me a lot of time to retrain my brain, maybe give that a try ^_^
Theres nothing wrong with clicking, I still chain cast all my abilities and spell interrupt perfectly fine. Sure hotkeys "can" be faster but with the global cooldown the way it is now it doesn't matter, what are you going to do wait better?
10/08/2018 05:30 AMPosted by Virus
10/08/2018 05:11 AMPosted by Saintgabriel

I actually made another character of the same class and leveled it up using binds only, gave me a lot of time to retrain my brain, maybe give that a try ^_^
this is an awesome idea. Do you keybind on all your characters now?
I clicked from Vanilla to Cata apart from using number keys ~1 - 5.

You are at a serious disadvantage in just about ALL content if you click. Period.

You want to have fast kicks, or good reactive gameplay? Keybinding is necessary. You can tell a clicker pretty easily and I'd like to see someone strictly click actually be successful in difficult/leading edge content.

@OP there are tons of videos on doing this already.
The only thing I ever click is Time Warp, and I intentionally took it off keybind because it's too big a problem to accidentally hit at the wrong time.

Clicking spells instead of keybinding is an objective disadvantage, no matter how good you are at clicking. I know people are different, but I cannot understand how clicking abilities and/or keyboard turning even feels remotely natural to anyone.
I have been keyboard turning I use the mouse with I need to make a quick 180 turn and clicking since I started in 1.12. I wont act like it has disadvantaged that key binding doesnt have. 1 being sometimes I love my mouse pointer when I use my mouse to turn so sometimes It takes me a minute to get back to mu buttons. Also it you don't have it set to cast when pressed but instead have it as cast when released it a small delay, but for the most part it doesn't hinder me their are some classes which are harder to play as a clicker I found rogue to be one of them. As a healer I use vuhdo with mouseover and bind my healing spells to my mouse .
Tell him to to keybind major abilities to keys such as Q E R F T and maybe a V C G.

Clicking is fine (if you can do it) but try to introduce a few keybinds, none of that Alt + Shift+ 2 stuff or he will get overwhelmed. If he is doing fine with those keybind and wants more then introduce Shift + XX Key to go a bit further.

10/08/2018 05:42 AMPosted by Wetrobrute
You want to have fast kicks, or good reactive gameplay? Keybinding is necessary. You can tell a clicker pretty easily and I'd like to see someone strictly click actually be successful in difficult/leading edge content.

Yes, straight clicking is abysmally hard and I still remember being a full on clicker. It hampers performance.

If your friend still wants to click things such as CDs or something then fine.
Theres nothing wrong with clicking, I still chain cast all my abilities and spell interrupt perfectly fine. Sure hotkeys "can" be faster but with the global cooldown the way it is now it doesn't matter, what are you going to do wait better?

^ legit made me laugh.

Anyway, when I started playing I clicked and keyboard turned. About 3 months into playing someone told me I was being a scrub, and showed me the difference in time it takes to turn around with a mouse v.s. keyboard turning (i.e. to target an add, etc) and I was sold. I think it was easier for me to transition because the bad habit was caught so early on.

Towards the end of Legion a friend of mine who has been clicking since vanilla tried to keybind and it was a disaster for him. I think it's just been so ingrained it's hard to change.
10/08/2018 04:27 AMPosted by Blastieface
Need some feedback from my clicker friends. No judgement. I'd like to make a video about keybinding if there's a big enough demand for it.

If you're a clicker, how many times have you tried keybinding?

Why do you think keybinding doesn't work for you?

Do you think clicking puts you at a disadvantage? If so why?

Do you want to learn how to keybind?

What area of the game do you focus on? (M+, raiding, exc.)

I have tried to key bind a handful of times I have never found anything comfortable for me I either slap the wrong key or at the wrong time.

Even with keybinds my spell are still in front of me on my action bar I cant have a busy screen so even with scrolling text sometimes I wont notice when a spell is ready so I have to see it light up on my actions bars and even then I sometimes forget what is bound to what.

No not really their are small disadvantages but nothing that makes it like omg id be so much better if I keybind. There is a few classes I found to be not good for clicking but I don't play those classes.

again I have tried never works and either from muscle memory go back to clicking or I am doing half and half at best.

I have raided I have done mythics I have done m+ does doing higher end things require a bit more attentions to details and maybe a bit of a learning curve sure but it can be done despite some wanting people to believe it cant be.

I don't pvp but I have tried that is the biggest disadvantage I found is in pvp I do not recommend doing pvp and arenas as a click and keyboard turner.