Stop timegating. Bring back attunement keys.

General Discussion
This was such a better system. I loved my key slot when keys were still important. Doing a normal dungeon and optaining the heroic version of it by doing a quest line was much better then having to repgrind to exalted just to continue progressing.

Rep grinds need not be the main progress system for story and dungeon unlocks. It should just be optaining the key and continuing on. Reputation used to be mainly for some epic gear along with some mounts or toys. Leave it at that. Shoot, even the exalted gear from rep isn’t even good anymore. What’s the point of having the gear when it literally is so replaceable.
Remove something annoying and replace it with something truly hideous

This is not progress.
At the very least, they should make progress account bound.

For example, when I completed war campaign on this toon, when I did 5 different island exps, etc, my alts should have gotten the benefits.
I vaguely remember having to grind rep to get a key to unlock heroics in BC.
Completely agree. I remember looking through my key chain when I'd get bored and just remembering everything about each key.

They didn't hurt the game, and they shouldn't have been taken out. It was a badge of honor for people who'd earned them.
30 minutes is long enough for a single dungeon. If time-gating helps keep the average run to a reasonable length I think it's doing a good service. Personally I also feel it adds a sense of excitement and urgency to the run.
10/26/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Pointyends

This is not progress.

What do you find hideous about it? Personally, I rather enjoyed attunements, but I've always been a sucker for long and complicated questlines with big payoffs. Only thing I'd really change about it is to make it so that once your main has it, your alts would too.

10/26/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Farora
I vaguely remember having to grind rep to get a key to unlock heroics in BC.

There were a couple of keys for 5-mans, if I recall correctly. I remember you needed one to get into Arcatraz (along with a flying mount if you didn't have a warlock buddy) and one to get into Shattered Halls. I'm not sure if there were others.
Classic is on the horizon, perhap wait for that. You can have fun with attunements there.
10/26/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Kittredge
Completely agree. I remember looking through my key chain when I'd get bored and just remembering everything about each key.

They didn't hurt the game, and they shouldn't have been taken out. It was a badge of honor for people who'd earned them.

I just feel like game took out an RPG element when they took out keyslots. Mind you that it wasn’t perfect but what kind of RPG doesn’t have keys? Sometimes it feels like they simplified this game so much that it’s mot even an RPG anymore. Everything is catered and given to you instantly. Epics don’t feel epic at all. I remember when you could only get 1 epic from the last boss of a dungeon. Also raids and PvP were the only ways of getting better epic gear. Did it suck not being the best? Yes. But it gave you a better goal to try and reach rather then stare at the reputation bar and just KNOW how much more work was needed in order to progress the story.
you dont have to be exalted with anyone to do any content, the content unlocks for your alts once your main has access, and also just no.
Yeah i already experienced having to run ramps 40 times to earn revered just so I could walk into heroic. Going to have to pass on that.
What do you find hideous about it? Personally, I rather enjoyed attunements, but I've always been a sucker for long and complicated questlines with big payoffs. Only thing I'd really change about it is to make it so that once your main has it, your alts would too.

Doing it once was amusing

After that it becomes a stumbling block. For anyone new in the guild who would have decent gear but not the attunement the entire guild would have to go back and do instances and raids that were already done just to "attune" them so they could do it.

Then the person might gquit or just stop playing so all that effort and time would be wasted. And if you didnt help with the attunements then your back in the same sport you were with still looking for people for your guild who had the attunements but you often ...again would get people who didnt have them

It was a c0ckblocker of epic proportions and im glad they ditched it
Bring back attunement

You saw wildstar get shut down and thought that was a good sign to bring back dated mechanics that haven't been around in over a decade?
GD likes to complain about how awful timegating is, but they don't realize that the reason it exists is because the game is infinitely more accessible than it was in the early days of the game.

But in all honesty you think "Sorry, spend a few months before you can play the game" is bad? Try "Sorry, you have to spend a few months before you can start working at unlocking the game"
Trying to find people who were attuned for things was very annoying. This is not something they should bring back. They were removed for a reason. Time gating or no time gating.
10/26/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Kittredge

They absolutely DID hurt the game. Do you not recall Mount Hyjal? Good grief that !@#$ was complicated. I mean, look at it!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/a/ae/Bcattunement.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100819022749

LOOK AT IT!

If you wanted to recruit someone to fill in a gap in Mount Hyjal, you needed to make sure they've done ALL of that. If they haven't done all of that, and there's a very high chance they haven't unless you poached them off some other guild, you had to carry them through it all JUST so they could step foot in the instance, and no one likes being forced to run old content, including all of the older raids, *just* to attune one guy.

And yes, as you can see, there were rep grinding requirements there too.

Even with the simplest of raid attunements, like with Molten Core or Blackwing Lair, it was just a hassle making sure everyone was attuned and ready for it. Often times it got to a point where raids no longer wanted to recruit fresh blood, but rather fight each other trying to poach raiders from other guilds. It was not healthy for the game.

That is why attunement requirements have been calmed the **** down over the years, and have often been completely non-existent. That is also why whenever there was a new raid tier released, Blizz put in some kind of gear catch up mechanic for the average joe player. Guilds are now more incentivized to recruit fresh blood, and that's good for the hardcore raiders, the casual raiders, and the new player looking to get into raiding.
God no..
Yeah, i loved having to get revered with 5 different factions to unlock their heroic mode per character.

/s
10/26/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Pointyends

This is not progress.

I agree, as much it's "immersive" OP (Which that's a laugh in this game) to attune to just do anything, i rather take the convenient route. Even if the said route is timegatey.
10/26/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Yasudra
At the very least, they should make progress account bound.

For example, when I completed war campaign on this toon, when I did 5 different island exps, etc, my alts should have gotten the benefits.

This, which is why I hardly play my alts unless Im near death from boredom