Guys calm down! (No Sharding thread)

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 50 51 52 101 Next
11/02/2018 11:41 PMPosted by Studmuffyn
11/02/2018 11:39 PMPosted by Salvinia
...the hardware now is MUCH better than it was before... not sure what the % increase in power is but I think it pretty easy to assume it wouldn't have the same issues as it did when running on the old hardware.

Nost could do it on their dodgy servers not sure why blizz thinks quoting "server stability" is somehow going to quiet the masses...

Well I would hope so, but there are still limits , and I take number claims from pservers with a grain of salt honestly.
I was seeing some pretty huge numbers in SS/TM more than was stable in vanilla.. not sure if its because i used to play over a 56k modem or it its server side unfortunately.

I just hope there is at least one oceanic server in the vanilla list... or is the old 800k ms we used to play with going to be part of the experience? either way i would take high latency over sharding...
11/02/2018 03:49 PMPosted by Classiclol
lol a !@#$ty russian private server can get 10k people on launch and handle it yet this billion dollar company freaks out at maybe 3k people on each server. sick

For f&*king real dude
11/02/2018 11:38 PMPosted by Clioneds
11/02/2018 11:37 PMPosted by Vafarre

Your movie theatres assign you seats?

Do they take you by the hand and guide you to it too? If you use the restroom do they help you wipe with heated wet wipes? How much do you have to be led around by the nose and told what to do, how to do, when to do?

Many in the newer generations (mine included) seem to enjoy, and even demand it.

I hate to admit it, but I'm a millenial too (I swear they told me I was generation X growing up, but someone clearly moved that goal post).

But god damn...assigned seats in a theatre? What fresh hell is this? Can I get a tiny bit of independence and freedom with my adulthood?

11/02/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Bunzato
11/02/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Clioneds
We are paying them, don't pretend they are some organization that is simply going out of their way to do something that doesn't benefit them.

Lol. You don't deserve Vanilla, not after what you've put Blizz and their devs/cms through.

What we've put Blizzard through? You mean having standards and holding them to it? Their lives must be so damn terrible, taking our money from a quarter way (or more) across the globe and interacting with us (extremely rarely) through a computer screen.
I like how people speaks of "what they realy want" and say "oh i want the !@#$fest" "i want all the lag and crashes and disconects with server downs for hours or days" " that was the vanilla experience we so love and miss"... You say that now... but when it actualy happens...

I was there you know? I was there when the game launched, and when servers went down for 2 or 3 days, and we got lots of fresh toons all of the sudden filling the servers that were up... derrailing the chat... trolling... making more realms to lag... And the forums were on rage about how incompetent was Blizzard, how they wanted their money back because they couldn't play the game they paid for... Yeah... noone "loved" that experience... your rose-tinted goggles are the ones speaking here.

I too would rather not to have sharding... but if the other option is what happened back in 2004 and early 2005, i rather let Blizzard do... you know... THEIR JOB? and deliver a nice, smooth, launch experience. Remember all you gotta do is invite you friends to your group to see them... and even with sharding, im sure you'll see lots of people. I was playing the demo today, and i had to wait around for mobs to spawn, and compete with lots of people for them... I think the experience was ok, and you all know nothing but to cry because that's all you know how to do.

Now, here is the deal i think would be ok: Give Blizzard a few weeks to figure out if the servers will hold, then let them deactivate sharding. IF we are gonna have something like the AQ event, id like to know i'll be able to experience it, maybe better then how i did in 2006... you know... with spell casts delay of 2 mins? At least i didn't disconnect i guess... but it was so damn laggy, that staying connected is the only good thing i can tell you about the experience... Still was damn awesome to have the whole server gather, horde and alliance standing shoulder to shoulder and all that... untill the gong rang and laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

That's my 2 cents and my word of advice, take it or leave it.
Technology and hardware has improved significantly since Vanilla WoW. Private servers can host 10K + with few issues in the long run. Sharding for anything is almost unjustified. If they do implement it past anything levels 1-5 on initial release only, it'll be an immediate unsub.
11/02/2018 11:18 PMPosted by Bunzato
Alright, cancel Vanilla, the crybabies don't want some minor server stability fixes early on.

You don't deserve what Blizzard is doing for you.

It's not being a cry baby to be passionate about what one considers a feature that is quite destructive against the very defining elements of the game. It's called being cautious and paying attention to the previous actions of the company.

If letting the past repeat itself over and over is the smart adult thing to do then I would rather be a "cry baby" and go against that grain.
Hardware and technology have changed since 2005. If a lot of pservers can do it today on a tiny budget of a few hundred dollars a month, surely blizz can make a full server with 6k+ people work without sharding.

I've played on those servers - 15k+ online at one time. People claiming there are huge issues with crashes, lag, and downtime, have not played since 2005. I have no problem not playing here and not paying $15 if they cannot deliver the FULL classic experience - even if that includes crashes, lag, and queues.
11/02/2018 11:50 PMPosted by Melaned
If letting the past repeat itself over and over is the smart adult thing to do then I would rather be a "cry baby" and go against that grain.

if letting the past repeat itself over and over is the smart adult thing...

letting the past repeat itself over and over

...Asking for a game company to bring back a game from 2004, in the exact shape, way and form that it was... to repeat what he did in 2004... over and over and over... exactly like back then....

11/02/2018 11:49 PMPosted by Kempachi
I like how people speaks of "what they realy want" and say "oh i want the !@#$fest" "i want all the lag and crashes and disconects with server downs for hours or days" " that was the vanilla experience we so love and miss"... You say that now... but when it actualy happens...

Are you implying this never happened in nost, elysium, etc?
They're full because people want this experience, they're crashing and lagging because people WANT to play them.
And it mainly only happened on launch on peak hours on starting zones, guess what, current wow even with all it's new "tools" and what not to fight this, still gets it on EVERY SINGLE EXPANSION RELEASE
This is not a "fix", it's a change that almost no one that wants to play classic actually desires, it completely beats the point of having a classic server in the first place.
11/02/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Slt
More communication about what to expect would really help prevent so much confusion on things like this. We really don't want sharding, it wasn't in the original game. Fighting for mobs was part of the original experience that made the game difficult.

I'm concerned what else could happen if sharding is possible.

This is a common mentality I see among people both here and other places.

No one thinks to play devil's advocate anymore. No one thinks to ask all the questions.

They immediately go to the most negative outcome they can think of and, without evidence, assume that must be the correct reasoning.

Going as far as to already start the riot before they even have the facts straight.

I don't understand how so many people act that way.
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
As you've noticed, the Classic Demo does have realm sharding. This is to let as many people as possible experience it without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed. And there should only ever be one Kazzak on a realm, no matter how many people are waiting for him to spawn.

We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

is it hard to give us what we want?
11/03/2018 12:01 AMPosted by Bubbleoseven
More communication about what to expect would really help prevent so much confusion on things like this. We really don't want sharding, it wasn't in the original game. Fighting for mobs was part of the original experience that made the game difficult.

No one thinks to play devil's advocate anymore. No one thinks to ask all the questions.

They immediately go to the most negative outcome they can think of and, without evidence, assume that must be the correct reasoning.

Going as far as to already start the riot before they even have the facts straight.

They literally already stated in a blue post that sharding will very possibly be in the final game.
There's no "riot before they even have the facts"
This is people wanting the product they were marketed to, the fact is that is in, the fact is that official blizzard employees have talked about how they will probably use it on the final game too.
There's your facts, why do people seem to be so protective of blizzard even to the smallest critiques?
11/02/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Bunzato
11/02/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Clioneds
We are paying them, don't pretend they are some organization that is simply going out of their way to do something that doesn't benefit them.

Lol. You don't deserve Vanilla, not after what you've put Blizz and their devs/cms through.

Again, we are paying them. Like it or not, I deserve what I pay for.

Stay ez.
11/03/2018 12:00 AMPosted by Vharaz
This is not a "fix", it's a change that almost no one that wants to play classic actually desires, it completely beats the point of having a classic server in the first place.

So, don't you think that, if this "change" wasn't necesary, Blizzard wouldn't do it? Why would they bother to implement new featured then? Just let the servers run and pray the do good! I mean, im not expert of server tech, so i am gonna have to assume they know more then me, and most other average gamer, and thus they have a reazon for it.

Think for a second... without sharding, if the servers can handle so many players, all that will happen is that people will just take longer to complete their quests. So they will have to play longer... which shouldn't be what Blizzard wants? higher player retention? better statistics to show?

See, Blizzard has always been this kind of company, that likes to do thing in the most efficient and functional way posible. Or at least in the past it was. I mean, they would even cancel games that were near finished, just because those didn't meet their standards... Is kinda logical they don't want a !@#$show of a launch. The vanilla launch experience happened that way because they did not expect such a big influx of players...

Again, i too would rather NO sharding. But i'm willing to concede a bit, and wait, for they to turn it down as soon as they realize WE don't need it.

I realy would rather a smooth launch too. And being able to play. I don't have all day anymore to play just at any time the server happens to come back up. So to know that i can play when i get home from work, without hassles, is a big thumbs up for me.
11/03/2018 12:01 AMPosted by Bubbleoseven

The evidence is the current retail. :| Or did this point elude you?
11/03/2018 12:06 AMPosted by Vharaz
This is people wanting the product they were marketed to, the fact is that is in, the fact is that official blizzard employees have talked about how they will probably use it on the final game too.

Just that they are being honest right now with you. And not hidding that sharding quite posibly will exist on the final launch of the game. Also remember this is tech that is part of the server infraestructure they are working with to re-created vanilla. And i think they can turn it off if they see it's not a big deal.

So, in any case, if you don't like the product, don't buy it. Easy.
11/03/2018 12:08 AMPosted by Kempachi
11/03/2018 12:00 AMPosted by Vharaz

So, don't you think that, if this "change" wasn't necesary, Blizzard wouldn't do it? Why would they bother to implement new featured then? Just let the servers run and pray the do good! I mean, im not expert of server tech, so i am gonna have to assume they know more then me, and most other average gamer, and thus they have a reazon for it.

Think for a second... without sharding, if the servers can handle so many players, all that will happen is that people will just take longer to complete their quests. So they will have to play longer... which shouldn't be what Blizzard wants? higher player retention? better statistics to show?

See, Blizzard has always been this kind of company, that likes to do thing in the most efficient and functional way posible. Or at least in the past it was. I mean, they would even cancel games that were near finished, just because those didn't meet their standards... Is kinda logical they don't want a !@#$show of a launch. The vanilla launch experience happened that way because they did not expect such a big influx of players...

Again, i too would rather NO sharding. But i'm willing to concede a bit, and wait, for they to turn it down as soon as they realize WE don't need it.

I realy would rather a smooth launch too. And being able to play. I don't have all day anymore to play just at any time the server happens to come back up. So to know that i can play when i get home from work, without hassles, is a big thumbs up for me.

diablo imortal fiasco, and soon on classic.
11/03/2018 12:00 AMPosted by Kempachi
11/02/2018 11:50 PMPosted by Melaned

if letting the past repeat itself over and over is the smart adult thing...

...Asking for a game company to bring back a game from 2004, in the exact shape, way and form that it was... to repeat what he did in 2004... over and over and over... exactly like back then....

Being intellectually dishonest much?
The difference here is we are playing a game that has already been released, not a brand new game. The company has gone against their words and made actions that gravely upset the players before. Letting them do that again and then instead of releasing a game that has already been released but a new version of said game effectively being a new game is in fact repeating the past.
11/02/2018 03:46 PMPosted by Nakadashi

I dunno, Lore. I happen to want an absolutely chaotic mess when I start.

I don't. I'd like to actually be able to play the game at launch. They are going to have to either make 10 times as many starting servers then they actually need, then collapse them all 2 weeks later, OR you can deal with sharding for 2 weeks, when 80% of the looky loos decide vanilla isn't for them.

If you hate sharding that much, then don't play for the first 2 weeks of vanillas launch.
11/03/2018 12:15 AMPosted by Datpower
diablo imortal fiasco

R.I.P. Diablo Games.