Guys calm down! (No Sharding thread)

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 72 73 74 101 Next
11/03/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Dragonaut
Blizzard has to know how bad sharding is. Especially for Classic. The only pro is it helps server stability, but honestly theres other ways to make the servers stable without sharding. If Nostalrius and Lights Hope could support people from all over the world and populations peaking at over 13k at times without sharding then it's definitely doable by blizzard. Sure those first couple weeks will be insanely populated in the starting zones, but we would all rather have to fight for mobs and possibly even experience some server spikes than have a smooth launch with sharding. It ruins the immersion and it would be less authentic than private servers. If B is prepared to use sharding for server stability rather than listening to the community then a bunch of us are out. Classic is a big chance to bring back so many older veteren players back to the Blizzard platform to play classic and try out other Blizzard/Activision games. Don't screw this up please!

NO TO SHARDING! EVEN AT LAUNCH!
Granted they have to turn down render distance for cleitns to do it and the biggest stability issue is still gain the log-in servers.
Sharding as a concept is great. sharding in classic is a tragedy. I get that it could lighten the load but I feel any form of sharding on classic would be a massive hit to classic as a whole with a almost absolute outcome of a DoA release. seeing a ton of other nobody adventures on the same journey as you asking them for help planning out how to best take out the group of gnolls or what ever it is you are facing is part of the challenge part of the joy and a hefty part of creating relationships with another person. those early interactions become dungeon groups those dungeon groups become guilds and those guilds push raids and provide a home for you. I know its all about polish with bliz and i get that but there has to be a better method then sharding or anything that separates the community of the server you roll on.
11/03/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Tareir
Considering that you'll never know there was sharding if you wait two weeks (probably 1) to log in...

Do I understand this right? All this outrage is because there's a conspiracy theory they are lying and won't turn it off?

Sure, assuming that by "conspiracy theory" you mean "observable pattern of behavior which is the only way retail ever got to the constant sharding it's at now."
11/03/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Athyra
Blizzard's plan must be to make classic as terrible as possible by adding in these BfA "features" like sharding. That way they can say "see people aren't interested in classic" and then they can scrap the project.

It's a sham that devs like Lore are in charge of bringing back classic. It'll never happen with the current Blizz leadership.

At which point private servers take off and a fresh population of people who wouldn't touch em before suddenly find themselves more interested in doing so out of frustration that game companies can't seem to make the games they enjoy anymore.
As someone who isn't even wanting to play classic as die-hard as others... come up with a better solution for server stability, it's a bad answer to a problem that shouldn't exist.

I could be wrong but it seems ridiculous to me that the newest hardware cannot run what an old server would at 10x capacity or more.

Alterac Mountains server blade was created in January of 2007, and tore down at a later date.

It's specs are as follows:
8 Ram Slots: 4x 512mb, 2x 2gb PC-3200.
2 Hard Drive Bays: Unknown Sizes/Speeds
2 Processors: AMD Opteron 265 @ 2.2Ghz
Motherboard Peripherals (That may/may not matter):
1 Gigabit Ethernet through Broadcom
Rage XL Graphics

The server blade was originally a HP ProLiant BL25p, customized for/by Blizzard.
How can a game that ran on so little, not be replaced with the below and crush it.
Ram: 512GB is possible, at crazy speeds.
Hard Drives: A mix of hard and solid can allow for insane speeds and cache.
Processors: There are literally processors 15x faster, but to be more reasonable blizzard would probably be using other cheaper models, at around 10x.
10Gb Ethernet exists, Multi-band Ethernet exists.

Ridiculous that Blizzard is using current tech for an old tech problem. Stop band-aiding, start solving.
11/03/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Demo
As someone who isn't even wanting to play classic as die-hard as others... come up with a better solution for server stability, it's a bad answer to a problem that shouldn't exist.

I could be wrong but it seems ridiculous to me that the newest hardware cannot run what an old server would at 10x capacity or more.

Alterac Mountains server blade was created in January of 2007, and tore down at a later date.

It's specs are as follows:
8 Ram Slots: 4x 512mb, 2x 2gb PC-3200.
2 Hard Drive Bays: Unknown Sizes/Speeds
2 Processors: AMD Opteron 265 @ 2.2Ghz
Motherboard Peripherals (That may/may not matter):
1 Gigabit Ethernet through Broadcom
Rage XL Graphics

The server blade was originally a HP ProLiant BL25p, customized for/by Blizzard.
How can a game that ran on so little, not be replaced with the below and crush it.
Ram: 512GB is possible, at crazy speeds.
Hard Drives: A mix of hard and solid can allow for insane speeds and cache.
Processors: There are literally processors 15x faster, but to be more reasonable blizzard would probably be using other cheaper models, at around 10x.
10Gb Ethernet exists, Multi-band Ethernet exists.

Ridiculous that Blizzard is using current tech for an old tech problem. Stop band-aiding, start solving.
That would take skill and resoufces

Considering their latest charity gives money to a scam artist all in the name of diversity, I doubt they have anyone capable left in their company.

I'll be honest a lot of this seems like a cop-out on their end. the only real issue would be the log-in servers being congested to !@#$ and back. crowded starting zones is a server issue unrelated to performance or stability
A bunch of unpaid french nerds with no documentation building the code base from scratch: 20k players on one realm with stable servers

A multibillion dollar company with internal documentation and access to back ups: Can't even create a stable server without anti-MMO tech.
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
As you've noticed, the Classic Demo does have realm sharding. This is to let as many people as possible experience it without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed. And there should only ever be one Kazzak on a realm, no matter how many people are waiting for him to spawn.

We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

I don't care if it's a lag tastic bloody mess. If you Shard this thing you blow the whole show. Nost Core can do it. Is your fancy-pants latest-generation server code less resilient than a bunch of guys coding in their spare time?
11/03/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Lacoste
11/03/2018 05:39 AMPosted by Gingi

What impact will it have on the community? Sharding only takes place when a zone is over the cap. You never rolled on a fresh server in 2005 did you? It was nothing like the private server !@#$ show we see now a days, sure you had quite a bit of people but not 15 thousand strong all logged on at one time. I think sharding will only happen in early zones then it will slowly dwindle out as the population is spread out in levels. If it is even in the game at all, nothing is final.

But it is final. You can enjoy the sharding all you want while all of the classic wow enthusiasts will be playing actual vanilla wow somewhere else. You want Blizzard to screw this up. We're telling you to go play BfA where you belong.

How is anything final? You’re throwing a hissy fit over a demo that was obviously thrown together in a few weeks
11/03/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Beardhat
A bunch of unpaid french nerds with no documentation building the code base from scratch: 20k players on one realm with stable servers

A multibillion dollar company with internal documentation and access to back ups: Can't even create a stable server without anti-MMO tech.

nost was not stable by any means, and they also had a form of sharding in the works if you don’t remember. This all due to how unstable it was. Northdale is a joke right now. Take off your rose tinted goggles
...authentic Classic experience at launch...

However, realm sharding...

Pick one man, you cant have both. What the hell is so hard about no changes? We dont want classic wow on new servers, we want the whole old vibe. Lining up to kill mobs, fighting over tagging, massively populated areas. Dont do sharding.

nost was not stable by any means, and they also had a form of sharding in the works if you don’t remember. This all due to how unstable it was. Northdale is a joke right now. Take off your rose tinted goggles

Nost also had an incredibly high server pop. Ultimately it was a grand experiment to gauge interest in classic with that evidence being presented to Blizzard. It was stable-ish for certain lengths of time. But given the resources and team behind it, was still quite the achievement to be pulled off.

Northdale isn't much of a "joke". Only some of the people and their intentions behind the scenes.

But the private community that has hosted servers pops on the scale in which they have, is in
and of itself, quite admirable.
"Let's kill the experiences before the players can have them!" - Blizzard circa 2018
11/03/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Demonicflair
Sharding as a concept is great. sharding in classic is a tragedy. I get that it could lighten the load but I feel any form of sharding on classic would be a massive hit to classic as a whole with a almost absolute outcome of a DoA release. seeing a ton of other nobody adventures on the same journey as you asking them for help planning out how to best take out the group of gnolls or what ever it is you are facing is part of the challenge part of the joy and a hefty part of creating relationships with another person. those early interactions become dungeon groups those dungeon groups become guilds and those guilds push raids and provide a home for you. I know its all about polish with bliz and i get that but there has to be a better method then sharding or anything that separates the community of the server you roll on.

You act as if sharding will make the world feel empty...? The reason sharding will take place is due to overpopulation in a specific area. This private server crown is so needy. We want no changes but make the respawns rate instant so we can still kill stuff. Yeah okay buddy, blizzard is going to implement a system that doesn’t allow for someone to abuse the hell out of. Respawns will be normal, and sharding will possibly be in the game for the initial launch.. time to move on or move out.
11/03/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Beardhat

The issue isn't 20k players on one realm at a time.

The issue is having 5k players all descending on Northshire Abbey at the same time. Those aren't players spread across the server, those are players in the same place.

What Blizzard forgets is that players were able to deal with it before and they will be able to deal with it again. Things always sorted out after a day or two when enough players had progressed far enough to move into other zones and lighten the load. Those incapable of dealing with it have the modern game to go play.
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
As you've noticed, the Classic Demo does have realm sharding. This is to let as many people as possible experience it without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed. And there should only ever be one Kazzak on a realm, no matter how many people are waiting for him to spawn.

We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

We 100% understand that the rush for leveling at the start would be very chaotic and tiring without sharding. None will argue that point with you, however if there is sharding of any kind the game will be dead on launch.
11/03/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Sarøs

Nost also had an incredibly high server pop. Ultimately it was a grand experiment to gauge interest in classic with that evidence being presented to Blizzard. It was stable-ish for certain lengths of time. But given the resources and team behind it, was still quite the achievement to be pulled off.

Northdale isn't much of a "joke". Only some of the people and their intentions behind the scenes.

But the private community that has hosted servers pops on the scale in which they have, is in

If nost would have implemented their “sharding” technology you nerds wouldn’t be whining about a thing.
i remember waiting in line, behind like 10 people and other than a few dumpster (toxic people, which was rare)- everyone was respectful and waiting for each other to get a quest item. which was from a dresser inside the night elf starting zone. we would cheer for people who got their item and they would dance about and then go turn in. i waited like 30 minutes before i could get mine but it was an amazing experience. i got to know their names, talk in chat and whisper to pass the time and it felt like the world was alive and i wasnt alone. wow is NOT an app game or single player.

please dont take that away with sharding. just alter spawn for the first week or so, which will make the process a little faster and move people on/out of the zone quicker and then reset to normal values later but please, for the love of god- let us keep that sense of mmo, multiple players.
I could be wrong but it seems ridiculous to me that the newest hardware cannot run what an old server would at 10x capacity or more...

It's unlikely that Blizzard is still running dedicated hardware servers. I'm guessing they're running on top of some virtualization technology, and that they've right-sized their server instances for whatever constraints the virtualization technology imposes.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

If nost would have implemented their “sharding” technology you nerds wouldn’t be whining about a thing.

Nerds... that's cute. Boldly spoken by someone trolling a forum of a game they don't intend on playing. Perhaps it is time for you to move on.

edit: Do you have any evidence Nost was working on that? Wasn't something I had even remotely heard of.