Guys calm down! (No Sharding thread)

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 73 74 75 101 Next
11/03/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Iordpaste
You act as if sharding will make the world feel empty...? The reason sharding will take place is due to overpopulation in a specific area.
Overpopulation in specific areas IS the experience. On server launch why would you stand around waiting for a toolbox to respawn with a bunch of other windowlickers when you can put on the ol' thinking cap and go somewhere else. The entire retail game is on rails. Its horrendous that they are even dreaming of bringing this to classic.
11/03/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Sarøs

Nost also had an incredibly high server pop. Ultimately it was a grand experiment to gauge interest in classic with that evidence being presented to Blizzard. It was stable-ish for certain lengths of time. But given the resources and team behind it, was still quite the achievement to be pulled off.

Northdale isn't much of a "joke". Only some of the people and their intentions behind the scenes.

But the private community that has hosted servers pops on the scale in which they have, is in
and of itself, quite admirable.

If nost would have implemented their “sharding” technology you nerds wouldn’t be whining about a thing.

No, we would of said the same thing there if Nost had sharding.

Nerd.

We 100% understand that the rush for leveling at the start would be very chaotic and tiring without sharding. None will argue that point with you, however if there is sharding of any kind the game will be dead on launch.

You'll never know if there is sharding anywhere other than launch zones until after they have your money and you've leveled up a bit and hit that sharding.

Darkmoon faire opens...wouldn't that cause a rush of players ?
Christmas event begins..wouldn that cause a rush of players ?
11/03/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Iordpaste
11/03/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Lacoste

But it is final. You can enjoy the sharding all you want while all of the classic wow enthusiasts will be playing actual vanilla wow somewhere else. You want Blizzard to screw this up. We're telling you to go play BfA where you belong.

How is anything final? You’re throwing a hissy fit over a demo that was obviously thrown together in a few weeks

That's part of the problem. People thought it was going to be more than that. Blizz didn't tell us they were hastily throwing it together. They didn't tell us what to expect. They just told us we could play a demo and everyone thought we wouldn't see these kinds of things.
Yeah sure, sharding might help in the early going but ask yourself what you're really giving up - if you think that crap is just gonna up and disappear when its convenient for you you're kidding yourself.

Yeah, the first week or so is gonna suck but the whole point was depriving yourself of the conveniences for a true experience - yet here we go again - a percentage of phonies who cant sell out fast enough.

If you cant handle it, don't play it FFS. Or just wait a month, sheesh.
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

This is a lie. Private servers have been documented to be able to support 3000 players in one area with no lag. Explain that one to us: are the devs really that incompetent? Are you running everything off of 1st gen raspberry pi's now?
11/03/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Iordpaste

If nost would have implemented their “sharding” technology you nerds wouldn’t be whining about a thing.

Nost wouldn't have taken off if they had done this. They would have been rejected by our community. Some other server would have risen in its place, and we'd be exactly where we are now, give or take a few months.

What we want isn't changed by mere circumstance.
Actually....blizzard DID tell us.

They told us A MONTH ago, that the demo was no where near done, and WOULD HAVE a ton of artifacts from the modern client that they simply hadn't gotten around to fixing yet.

And was nothing more than a check in piece so people could see what they'd been working on so far.
11/03/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Brockthorn

We 100% understand that the rush for leveling at the start would be very chaotic and tiring without sharding. None will argue that point with you, however if there is sharding of any kind the game will be dead on launch.

You'll never know if there is sharding anywhere other than launch zones until after they have your money and you've leveled up a bit and hit that sharding.

Darkmoon faire opens...wouldn't that cause a rush of players ?
Christmas event begins..wouldn that cause a rush of players ?

I'd know. Myself and my guild, we play this game for world pvp. The moment we set foot in a city, the server would !@#$ a shard, if not instantly, then as people responded to repel us.
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
As you've noticed, the Classic Demo does have realm sharding. This is to let as many people as possible experience it without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed. And there should only ever be one Kazzak on a realm, no matter how many people are waiting for him to spawn.

We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

No sharding...I've spent 5 weeks so far on my first classic pserver. (I"m lvl 40) I have about 30 ppl on a friend list, at least 8-10 on at any one time, we quest, dungeon together, world PVP. If it were sharded even at the beginning, I wouldn't have many of those community relationships, including the guild I'm in.

Myself and our entire guild (around 150 players) are planning to drop the pserver in a heart beat for a blizzard $15/month sub when its ready...but keep vanilla as it was. Not everyone will make it to 60, some will lose interest after the hype, it's inevitable... it'll be very chaotic the first few weeks, but it'll be fine...let it be the way it was...It'll work itself out....Classic doesn't need fixed in that way, that's for everyone who wants to play "Live"

I can see if Sharding starts, more stuff will creep in later...and I'll go back to a pserver...just being honest.
I guess I question the need for sharding if Blizzard intends on having about 3k per server, with a decently even faction split and 4 starting zones per faction...
You also won't be having everyone and their mother all logging in and starting their characters at once. Am I truly to believe that Coldridge and Dun Morogh can't handle 250 players between those two zones?
Would rather have an unstable realm than sharding. There was no sharding in Vanilla, it will kill the core of Classic. Everyone on one server, it's a main reason we're excited for Classic. No parallel universes.
11/03/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Boltlok

They told us A MONTH ago, that the demo was no where near done, and WOULD HAVE a ton of artifacts from the modern client that they simply hadn't gotten around to fixing yet.

And was nothing more than a check in piece so people could see what they'd been working on so far.

And then when we started complaining about sharding they basically said "it's in and staying" which lit off the $%^&storm. If Lore's post said "we're using it for the demo but it will be gone for release there wouldn't be 1400+ posts in this thread. It didn't, it said we're using it and screw the consequences to the server community...
11/03/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Boltlok

do you have a link ? I missed that announcement.
11/03/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Iordpaste
11/03/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Demonicflair
Sharding as a concept is great. sharding in classic is a tragedy. I get that it could lighten the load but I feel any form of sharding on classic would be a massive hit to classic as a whole with a almost absolute outcome of a DoA release. seeing a ton of other nobody adventures on the same journey as you asking them for help planning out how to best take out the group of gnolls or what ever it is you are facing is part of the challenge part of the joy and a hefty part of creating relationships with another person. those early interactions become dungeon groups those dungeon groups become guilds and those guilds push raids and provide a home for you. I know its all about polish with bliz and i get that but there has to be a better method then sharding or anything that separates the community of the server you roll on.

You act as if sharding will make the world feel empty...? The reason sharding will take place is due to overpopulation in a specific area. This private server crown is so needy. We want no changes but make the respawns rate instant so we can still kill stuff. Yeah okay buddy, blizzard is going to implement a system that doesn’t allow for someone to abuse the hell out of. Respawns will be normal, and sharding will possibly be in the game for the initial launch.. time to move on or move out.

Indeed it would make the world feel empty what do you mean. How wonderful it feels to be standing in the same spot as your friend and yet you dont see him. so wonderful! i would like you to show me where i brought up private servers? or brought up increased spawn rates? Tell me how lively it would feel to be on the same server same zone same spot and someone who should be there isnt.

you came at me like i was one of the people screaming I came in calm and posted my thought process sharding has been one of if not the biggest reasons for the downfall of community in WoW and it has no place on a vanilla server.

What i need from you is to take a breath calm down and understand that people like you who just sit down and dont care what the devs do are why we are in the position we are in.

i think that we need to voice what we want to help them make the game we want while keeping up their standards. I wasn't calling lore out i wasn't calling bliz out or anyone at that. simply just stating my belief on the subject.

Feedback is what matters not yelling at lore not yelling at other players this is a crucial time we should here working together to figure out a solution. and clearly sharding isnt the solution look at this thread its like a warzone clearly this is something the playerbase feels strongly about.
Hmm still very unclear on how much sharading there will be but if it’s like now then expect a lot subs to dissapear in June
11/03/2018 12:31 PMPosted by Meowmi42B37F
I am unwilling to play with sharding of any kind, would it be possible to make optional servers for people who don't want it?
#NoSharding

...or if you're dead set on it, at least give people no-shard realm options.

To reiterate, the glue of vanilla was a stable community.

If populations crash, it's better to connect realms so the same people can keep playing with each other. CRZ and sharding break that cohesiveness and consistency of population. Don't do that to Classic.
If they simply updated old launcher they’d be done by now... just saying that sandwiching classic into retail is the hardest road.
I want to add my voice to those saying that sharding will ruin the game. It will start out as a way to make the first few days of a server more stable, but eventually it will be used for other things.

Blizzard saw the original AQ event as a failure because of the server lag and crashes, but it is one of the most beloved moments ever in wow. Hundreds of people packed into a zone for an event like that is amazing. If the event is "improved" with sharding technology, it will lose all the magic.
As far as I'm understanding it's literally only for the couple months until the populations have stabilized.

If they still are overloaded then it's time to make a new server or two.

The only thing blizz needs to be careful of is going crazy on making new servers otherwise we'll end up with a ton of servers that end up dead in a few months when the initial tourist surge burns out and the majority of dabblers realize it's not for them, and now you've established yourself on a server that is now dead. Enjoy rerolling and wasting 60 bucks of money for nothing for the 4-ish months you spent leveling/gearing up before your server died and all that time and effort was completely wasted.

if after a few month servers pops are still overloaded all the time, THEN it's time to open a new server and offer free transfers from overloaded servers like they did in the past.

However the MOMENT they reach that point, Sharding needs to stop immediately as it's unlikely that any new surges of interest will occur and what servers you've created to catch the overflow will be all you ever need.

It probably won't matter to me either way since I already decided I wasn't touching classic for at least a month or two after release just to avoid the worst of the congestion. (which honestly is the whole point of the sharding to begin with, to try and get the people who refuse to deal with that waste of time/money to play as soon as possible instead of waiting for the initial surge to burn out).