Guys calm down! (No Sharding thread)

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 74 75 76 101 Next
Only Blizz would promise people they would bring back Classic just to tell them 'well not really'.

Its like Im in the Twilight Zone when I read this stuff.
Sharding is a no-go. Classic WoW means CLASSIC WoW. You knew this as a company when you finally caved since you realized it's a potential profit maker and shareholders love profits. Vanilla WoW, warts and all. Your words. No sharding. No phasing. No POST EXPANSION features of any kind.

If you want this to be successful, you need to just release the game as it was, with bug fixes. That's it. There's a very specific target audience for classic WoW and it serves absolutely nothing to target modern players who will quit playing within a matter of weeks. There's two entirely different communities here. One that wants classic and the original MMORPG experience. Another who is intrigued by classic but really likes the modern game and it's conveniences. The people who will stick around for months-years and continue paying their monthly sub are the people who want classic because it's their favorite version of the game....not because it's the latest hype-train to jump on-board.

We want a CREDIBLE version of Vanilla WoW. Legacy servers. We don't want vanilla lite™. We don't want something unrecognizable from what we all played in 2004-2006. It's all or nothing with this. It truly is.
I want to add my voice to those saying that sharding will ruin the game. It will start out as a way to make the first few days of a server more stable, but eventually it will be used for other things.

Blizzard saw the original AQ event as a failure because of the server lag and crashes, but it is one of the most beloved moments ever in wow. Hundreds of people packed into a zone for an event like that is amazing. If the event is "improved" with sharding technology, it will lose all the magic.

and I remember it as one of the most epic events ever even with the lag/crashes.
11/03/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Mojomagic
I want to add my voice to those saying that sharding will ruin the game. It will start out as a way to make the first few days of a server more stable, but eventually it will be used for other things.

Blizzard saw the original AQ event as a failure because of the server lag and crashes, but it is one of the most beloved moments ever in wow. Hundreds of people packed into a zone for an event like that is amazing. If the event is "improved" with sharding technology, it will lose all the magic.

Oh god. Alliance and Horde taking down world bosses in Tanaris then the moment they were down we were back at each others throats.

It. Was. Glorious.
Sharding being in-game means they had to actually make the packets sent by the client cooperate with the server software. This was intentional, and I believe will be in the final product (Unless we !@#$% enough :D)
11/03/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Studmuffyn
11/03/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Brockthorn
they don't do server merges anymore. It's CRZ.
And CRZ is part of the 7.3.5 wow:classic client code.

what do you think connected realms are?

CRZ and connected realms are not the same thing.

Connected realms are basically server merges. On connected realms you can join the guild of the people on the connected realms, trade with them, an auction house is shared, etc. So again, connected realms are basically server merges which sadly Blizzard abandoned years ago in place of CRZ and sharding.

CRZ is not the same thing at all. Here is a link that describes what CRZ is.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Cross-realm_zones

Here's a preview:

"Cross-realm zones (colloquially known as CRZ) is a feature in which certain zones in the game are populated with players from multiple realms. This feature is only intended for zones that usually have a low population of players in them."

With CRZ, unlike actual connected (merged) realms, you cannot trade with other players from those realms, you cannot join guilds with those players and the AH isn't shared for some example.
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Server capacity issues and spawn density issues were a part of the Vanilla experience, and should therefore be a part of Classic.

realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days.

There are a number of players who simply wouldn't touch the game if there is ANY form of sharding in the game. I hope Blizzard sees that and shies away from using it.

I'm of the opinion that sharding would be fine for the first few days, or the first week AT MAXIMUM. After that it should NEVER be used again in Classic.
11/03/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Iordpaste
If nost would have implemented their “sharding” technology you nerds wouldn’t be whining about a thing.

Sharding is flat out bad for a MMORPG because it splits players up, even if they're friends or guildmates.

One of the things I love about FFXIV is The Hunt. There are special mobs in the open world that require multiple groups of players to defeat, somewhat like WoW's world bosses. We organize hunt trains at fairly regular intervals daily for the moderate difficulty marks and send out relays when the rare and more difficult S rank marks appear.

When the alerts go out to all the hunt linkshells that a train is about to start or an S rank is up, everyone showing up for the kill ends up in the same location looking at the same mob even if they're in different groups.

That couldn't happen if FFXIV used sharding. Because there is no sharding at work, the hunt community has developed strong ties that has led to people doing other content together outside of the hunt like FATEs, treasure maps and *gasp* even trials and raids.

Sharding is why Blizzard had to remove the World Defense channel - you could see an alert of an attack but your chances of ending up on the specific shard where it was happening was remote. Even worse, you might join a group on the shard where it was happening and end up pulling that group to a different shard where there was nothing to fight.

Sharding is bad for a MMORPG that touts player interaction in the open world as a major feature. It needs to disappear.
Key words here MAY BE sharding.... Doesn’t sound like the definet answer guys . I’m sure they will figure it out by March people really do not want it.
If Sharding makes it to the game, I am out and will play Private Servers. I was not playing on private servers awaiting for the official Classic since the announcement.

But sharding is a big no.
The sharding is there to prevent server crashes (weather it is from the newly written database or backend) during anytime high populations are competing for pve resources. This is already built into the game and is not going away but it can be turned off. I just don't know if the server crashes cause persistent resource anomalies for the player. If so then it cannot be turned off to prevent exploits and mis-use.

In simpler terms it cannot be a true vanila experience with the new database and sharding as of now unless sharding is disabled.
11/03/2018 12:43 PMPosted by Sarøs
I guess I question the need for sharding if Blizzard intends on having about 3k per server, with a decently even faction split and 4 starting zones per faction...
You also won't be having everyone and their mother all logging in and starting their characters at once. Am I truly to believe that Coldridge and Dun Morogh can't handle 250 players between those two zones?
4 starting zones? You mean 3 right?

In vanilla Troll/Orc and Gnome/Dwarf were shared areas

11/03/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Seeplusplus
The sharding is there to prevent server crashes (weather it is from the newly written database or backend) during anytime high populations are competing for pve resources. This is already built into the game and is not going away but it can be turned off. I just don't know if the server crashes cause persistent resource anomalies for the player. If so then it cannot be turned off to prevent exploits and mis-use.

In simpler terms it cannot be a true vanila experience with the new database and sharding as of now unless sharding is disabled.
no it's there to keep the world feeling alive in retail, but when most people are AFK in garrisons or w/e it fails that. The only stability issue would be log-in server, outside that the individual servers wouldn't have issues. Not to mention the crowded start zones are overblown. consider a blizzard server cap (2.5K) versus nsot on launch (8K)

There will be crowding, but nothing as bad as nost or any other of the big name servers on their launch
without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Weren't server capacity issues based on having high populations and hardware that couldn't support said pop? Being that it's 2018 now I feel like this "capacity" argument (provided Blizzard sticks to a reasonable pop cap... ) is a bit tired. And rather easily debunked.

Unless I'm simply misinformed?
Sharding is a hard pass for me, I'd rather play a janky private server than support this.

This isn't classic WoW. If you're worried about overpopulation and waiting for quest spawns then stay on retail WoW.

Either give us true vanilla WoW or don't bother.
Blizz needs to understand that Sharding has to go and never rear its ugly head in Classic.
Why?
For the most important reason of all... so that when the Starting Zones are full of dozens if not hundreds of Players all trying to kill the same MoB or Farm the same Node we can come back here to the Forums and COMPLAIN about it!
11/03/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Packlo
Key words here MAY BE sharding.... Doesn’t sound like the definet answer guys . I’m sure they will figure it out by March people really do not want it.

Thats like when they said mob scaling wasnt really going to be noticable. Yet what do we have?
I can't help but think having sharding is blizz realizing retail is trash and people, a lot of people, actually want to play classic. They weren't expecting people to actually want to play it. They've dropped a deuce in their pants upon this realization and didn't set up the infrastructure to support the community.

Well, I was planning on coming back for classic, it all seems up in the air for now.

Keep sharding out of the game, encourage people to group up and complete quests.
11/03/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Sarøs

Weren't server capacity issues based on having high populations and hardware that couldn't support said pop? Being that it's 2018 now I feel like this "capacity" argument (provided Blizzard sticks to a reasonable pop cap... ) is a bit tired. And rather easily debunked.

Nope, there are private servers all over the world that are probably made of old car parts running on Pentium 3s supporting like 10k people at a time. And a Billion dollar company cant figure out a way to do the same thing.
11/03/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Sarøs

You aren't
As much as I want to say I would be fine with sharding at launch, just for the starting zones, I don't exactly trust Blizzard to not eventually start slipping it in here or there. I would rather deal with congested, crashing, laggy servers for the first month than have sharding touch Classic WoW. It would absolutely ruin the experience and gut the entire point of the game. If BfA beta hadn't been such a mess I would more or less trust Blizzard to work the kinks out in time for launch and just say that this demo was, well, a very shaky demo, but...man, I'm not feeling it. :(