Guys calm down! (No Sharding thread)

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 82 83 84 101 Next
Here's a sort of technical way to think about it: database (server) size and transactions made on the database increases linearly over time; the response time for querying the database increases exponentially over time. Hence as more people query the unsharded database, the higher the response time.
I mean I am ok with sharding if it keeps the first 2 or 3 questing zones from having long lines to get to the quest enemies. I remember back in the vanilla days when a new server would open the flood of people playing in the early zones would make early questing a long process of sitting and waiting for enemies to respawn. I remember waiting for sometimes over an hour for the groups ahead of me to kill the enemies and respawn and that was if people would not run up and tag the enemy. As long as it stays in the early zones until people spread out I can be ok with this. From what I have heard and read it seems this is the spirit behind Blizzard wanting to shard early for a while.
11/03/2018 08:38 PMPosted by Victorlaw
11/03/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Classicsoon
NO SHARDING
NO PHASING

Here is out feedback Ion. Please take it to heart.

Not actionable. You need to tell them WHY you want the server to be completely unplayable at launch and ruin its chances of success with a new audience.

Good thing original vanilla had such stable servers with a flawless launch otherwise no one would have kept playing.

The issue is if we make an exception for sharding for launch- what else do we make an exception for? AQ events? Tauren Mill/Southshore battles? Where precisely is the line in the sand for sharding?

Sharding is EXTREMELY detrimental to classic gameplay. Server caps and dynamic spawns are a much better solution.
11/03/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Ratsmats
11/03/2018 04:08 PMPosted by Starrs
Ion just took a question about this at the QA and said they are looking into sharding for the launch only. (Wont be there long term)

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Remember when they told us that CRZ's would only be used for past expansion content, not current content.

I dont, I wasnt playing at this point. Sharding 100% ruins vanila wow
Why can't we just have queues instead of sharding ?

If you don't like the first 2 week mayhem of hundreds of people in starter zones, just play Classic 2 weeks later
Based on the latest information from the Classic WoW panel earlier today, I hope that they remain true to the promise that this (sharding) will be used as minimally as possible and only at the start of launch in starter zones.

Server identity was an important part of vanilla WoW for many of us, and I want to feel that the world is truly massive, like it was back then, and see everyone on the server in one cohesive world. I feel that this message was delivered, that this is an important objective of this project for the development team, so I will have faith that this promise will be upheld.

And thanks to the Classic WoW dev team for all the hard work in bringing back the vanilla experience. I know there are a lot of technical difficulties surrounding this project, but there seems to be a solid plan in place and a clear vision. Looking forward to how things shape up in the coming months!
11/03/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Bouldir
11/03/2018 08:38 PMPosted by Victorlaw

Not actionable. You need to tell them WHY you want the server to be completely unplayable at launch and ruin its chances of success with a new audience.

Good thing original vanilla had such stable servers with a flawless launch otherwise no one would have kept playing.

The issue is if we make an exception for sharding for launch- what else do we make an exception for? AQ events? Tauren Mill/Southshore battles? Where precisely is the line in the sand for sharding?

Sharding is EXTREMELY detrimental to classic gameplay. Server caps and dynamic spawns are a much better solution.

Except they said rare occasions if they where to keep it to allow for easier flow of the game but wouldn't effect the community interactions.
This would mean if Tarren/south had to many people there killing mobs, ganking, or clogging the server, they may open up sharding but then you just QQ on the forums, and what not so they know we don't want it.

Initial sharding is good, later sharding is bad and they even said they understand this and don't want sharding to stay period.
11/03/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Bangnfire
Initial sharding is good, later sharding is bad and they even said they understand this and don't want sharding to stay period.

A few weeks is bad, especially if it is in other zones besides starting area.

All sharding will do is push the problem in the next zone or if its everywhere then authenticity is ruined 100%.

This would mean if Tarren/south had to many people there killing mobs, ganking, or clogging the server, they may open up sharding but then you just QQ on the forums, and what not so they know we don't want it.

That was common occurrence in tarren mill, if people don't like it they can go to another leveling area because there is more then 1 place.

If they came out and said we are going to have servers without sharding at launch and servers with, then it wouldn't be as much of a problem it is right now.

Except they said rare occasions

Sharding on day 1 for a few weeks isn't a rare occassion, it is common.
Server Community is the rock on which Vanilla was built. Sharding completely undermines that foundation. No Sharding!
Its a no from me dawg
#nosharding
11/03/2018 11:33 PMPosted by Aevelan
You guys are literally Dumb as hell Shading will only be a factor at start and wont most likely Stay that way From what i take from these threads is that people pick out parts of lore's statement so they can claim they know what there saying without takeing in what is fully said Seriously Learn to not freaking make complete !@#$%^'s out of yourselves

Turns out you're part of the group who isn't listening.
11/03/2018 11:33 PMPosted by Aevelan
You guys are literally Dumb as hell Shading will only be a factor at start and wont most likely Stay that way From what i take from these threads is that people pick out parts of lore's statement so they can claim they know what there saying without takeing in what is fully said Seriously Learn to not freaking make complete !@#$%^'s out of yourselves

You my love, are incredibly naive. They have said the same exact thing on retail when it was introduced. Not to mention the !@#$show that is BFA. When they decided what was "best for us" despite concerns. Feel free to go enjoy your azerite gear, while we over here will try to ensure that sort of nonsense isn't part of Classic.

NEXT !! #NoSharding
11/03/2018 10:37 PMPosted by Righteouscow
Why can't we just have queues instead of sharding ?

If you don't like the first 2 week mahem of hundreds of people in starter zones, just play Classic 2 weeks later

Why cant you just deal with temporary sharding for launch?

If you dont like the first 2 weeks of stable servers and gameplay without constant crashing, then just play classic 2 weeks later
11/03/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Delirium
Server Community is the rock on which Vanilla was built. Sharding completely undermines that foundation. No Sharding!

You'd have a valid point if the Classic Forum community wasnt a disgusting !@#$hole.
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

Remember the first RPPVP server launches? We were just queued when too many people wanted on. When we got in, we saw the starting zones hopping - it was a great experience. Just leave it the way it was!
No sharding ever, IMO.

It's too easy to say, well it worked there, let's use it over here now. And before you know it, it's everywhere. I'd much rather have a login queue and the chaos of the first 2 weeks.

Either way, I'll play it. But if sharding is left in, I probably won't last that long.
While server launch over-population will definitely be a problem, sharding is not the answer. It's in fact even easier Blizz! All you have to do is enable login queues to limit the player load and the rest sorts itself out.
How is this not the obvious answer? Like seriously I cannot fathom how you all jumped straight to sharding. It's not like your servers are going to melt down. Everybody waiting for these servers knows the starting zones are gonna be ridiculously packed.
You're not letting anybody down by sitting back and letting the game take it's course. You're letting everyone down by implementing features we DO NOT want to see, where they are NOT necessary.

11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

That's a good start. Now recognize that changes like this are unnecessary, confusing, and the people waiting for Classic don't trust Blizzard at all to make changes that don't mess up the game somehow.
Sharding has no place in Classic whatsoever. It has eroded the community and immersion aspects in retail WoW already, and it's part of the reason today that other players out in the world feel closer to NPC's than real people/fellow adventurers.

Bottom line It wasn't in the original Vanilla, it shouldn't be Classic imo.

Thank you for your time.