Germ or Photo?

Druid
I’ve been running Germ in my M+ runs, yet I’ve been really wondering how Photo would play out. I’m going to try it out soon but wanted others input. Is it worth the time to try it out?
You generally want to run Germ with Abundance, so in a very healing focused build. Do this if you are unfamiliar with the dungeon or the level is high, or you don't trust the group. If you are going to catweave a lot for DPS , you can use photo + ward + spring blossoms to more reliably leave HoTs on the tank while you go cat form and DPS! :) Healing = Germ, DPS = Photo

Obviously you can change these talents up to be somewhere in the middle ground, if you want.
I personally prefer Photo because I very much enjoy cat weaving, however germination can be less of a hassle to deal with.
The fact that photo synergises with cat weaving makes it that much better. Even bear weaving if need be for those higher keys. Would I place LB on myself or the tank if I do Photo, CW and SB? Or apply to tank to try and get that extra 5% chance.

The 5% is what really turns me away some what from that talent. I understand it’s a large amount of healing from the bloom, but a 5% chance seems kinda low tbh.
Pretty sure it's 5% for each hot, so if you have more hots stacked, its actually going to bloom more often.
Yeah, every hot on the target has a 5% chance to make it bloom when they tick.
Wouldn't Germ still be more consistent though? despite Photo giving potentially higher HPS on the tank (or the LB target in general).

On a side note, I know some Druids prefer Ward, but I still don't see how it beats Abundance for consistent use of Rejuv and Regrowth. I've never been in a situation where Ward ever gave me more value or effective healing than just casting 1-2 Regrowths with Abundance, not to mention if you have Germ specced.
I used to be a germ guy, now I’m photo 100%. Like others have said you stack hots it pops off a lot. That being said nothing is preventing you from using it on other members or yourself. There are plenty of fights where tank health isn’t even moving at all but the another member is taking a ton of damage. Swap bloom over, rejuvenate, regrow this and then listen to that beautiful bloom sound efficiently get them topped off then put it back on the tank. Where I really like it is the sof wild growth with bloom on yourself, brings the party up fast (same with tranquility). It’s a mini flourish that has the flexibility of being an effective tank heal. But unlike flourish you don’t hold on to it thinking “I’ll need this for later”.
Does Photo also react to Trinket Hots as well as Trait Hots like Swiftment trait?
11/06/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Ruthlesstree
I used to be a germ guy, now I’m photo 100%. Like others have said you stack hots it pops off a lot. That being said nothing is preventing you from using it on other members or yourself. There are plenty of fights where tank health isn’t even moving at all but the another member is taking a ton of damage. Swap bloom over, rejuvenate, regrow this and then listen to that beautiful bloom sound efficiently get them topped off then put it back on the tank. Where I really like it is the sof wild growth with bloom on yourself, brings the party up fast (same with tranquility). It’s a mini flourish that has the flexibility of being an effective tank heal. But unlike flourish you don’t hold on to it thinking “I’ll need this for later”.

This is actually an interesting way of viewing it. And possibly one of the main reason why I'd totally try out Photo for at least a few runs after this.

Back to topic though. I have never been a fan of Germination. It would totally be a different story if Rejuvenation doesn't trigger a GCD. But despite being one of the highest HPS talent we have, it is very awkward to use. Based on my experience, the times when the double Rejuv would be useful is when you probably don't want to DPS at all and focus on healing, which kinda defeats the purpose of having Germination in the first place. If Ward, single Rejuv, Regrowth and Efflorescence and even maybe Barkskin is not enough to stabilize someone, an extra HoT from Germination probably wouldn't either.
The idea isn’t to stabilize. It’s designed around preemptive healing. Knowing when party damage is imminent and preparing for it. If you’re trying to play catch up with germ than you’re already lost. That’s what tranq, regrowth, and swiftmend are for.

If you’re running pugs mostly like I am, where party damage is a regular occurance, germ is the way to go.
11/07/2018 06:57 AMPosted by Tical
The idea isn’t to stabilize. It’s designed around preemptive healing. Knowing when party damage is imminent and preparing for it. If you’re trying to play catch up with germ than you’re already lost. That’s what tranq, regrowth, and swiftmend are for.

If you’re running pugs mostly like I am, where party damage is a regular occurance, germ is the way to go.

I agree but then you mentioned pug, which is what I mostly play too which I think you are implying damage taken that was not planned for? If not please correct me. That beating said I feel like photo can catchup a group faster than germ. As far as preemptive healing germ is the easiest to “setup” for but in a pug I thinks it’s about how quick can I get the group out of danger which germ is not as good at.
I like both and when I first went with photo I felt weird as if I lost a ton of hots or something so I went back to germ. I realized though that i had higher throughput with photo on some close calls not to mention all this extra free time to cast or weave.
I think there is definitely a skill to photo or maybe a mindset that once you have it becomes natural.
In the end I just can’t cast 10 germs, doesn’t feel right. I also had a lot more mana issues using germ but I take responsibility for that it’s too easy to throw up 2 on that party member when 1 or none would have been fine.
It’s a little of both, there are boss abilities that are avoidable, and there are some that arent. How quickly people move out of fire and how they react to incoming damage with their own personal cooldowns is very unpredictable in pugs. I always assume the worst and blanket the party for my own sake. If they ended up not needing it.. well, that’s ok. I did my job.

Here’s an example from a +9 motherload I did last night....

The Gatling gun on the last boss. Completely avoidable damage. I’ll blanket the party regardless.

I personally don’t move for it. I’ll barkskin and run right through it at 90 degrees and take maybe 25% drop in hp. No sweat. The mage in the party however.... he was taught in the Prometheus school of running away fronm things. He dropped to maybe 5% health in a matter of seconds, But because I had already double juved him with a wild growth runing, I was able to top him back to 100% with a swiftmend faster than the damage happened.

From how I understand it... photo makes your heals tick 20% faster? But germ is essentially a 100% buff to rejuvenate, plus our mastery bonus. I’ve had much more luck with germ.
I’ve ran several keys now with photo and I can agree that at first I felt so lost. Photo really does take that much more planning and the thought process is different. I started with the tank always having LB and would be able to quickly gauge if the tank could handle the damage with just Rejuv, Regrowth and Efflorescence. If so, the dps that was either failing mechanics or lowest would get LB until they were full then back to tank. If it was group wide, I’ll have to admit the 20% ticking really felt nice. I wouldn’t panic saying “oh no Tranq is on CD and so is ToL.”

I pug as well. I look at Germ now as the “Beginner Resto Build” cause it doesn’t really need much of a thought process to just apply two Rejuvs and wait to see who I have to apply SM or Regrowth to. I’m not saying Germ is bad cause it’s not. I just like photo cause there’s that much more thought behind the set up of what kind of damage has been applied.

I may start dipping into using Spring Blossoms because of how good Photo feels with the 20% buff. I mean. The extra HoT ultimately would benefit Photo as well ide assume.
Man rdruid healing potential was !@#$ing butchered coming into BFA. The 1500-2500% SP guranteed crit free Regrowths with Abundance + Germ + Cult + Moment of Clarity + 1-3 Living Seed relics were so insane for healing %^-*ter pug M+ runs.

Feelsbadman
The time you spend casting rejuv to take advantage of Germ makes it terrible IMO. And photo beats it in single target healing.