Seeing as how we're still discussing Diablo on the WoW Forums

General Discussion
Let me remind everybody that, no matter how much I as well personally despise the Diablo Immortal announcement (that is also being used to push the Diablo story and fill in the missing lore gap we fans have died asking for to be filled...), that there are also multiple other major Diablo news announcements that were left out of Blizzcon because the projects were not ready for announcement.

These include but may not be limited to:

Further Diablo ARPG/RPG video games,
Diablo television show.

So, no, Diablo Immortal will not kill the franchise, and no matter how much NA/Brazil/Canada hates the Diablo Immortal announcement -- myself included -- there are other announcements we can look forward to. The steaming pile of crap that is Diablo Immortal can rot, but i'm looking forward to the future of the franchise.
It might not kill the franchise, if they redeem themselves next Blizzcon and announce Diablo 4.

Though in all honesty, the comments like 'we don't plan a PC game in the future for Diablo' sounds like the first crack in the armor, I mean this isn't just going to blow over...

See, this means the fans might not ever get a Diablo 4, or a Diablo 3 expansion.

The franchise will survive but we will have to wait 50 years or so until all the copyright expires or whenever so can start making our own Diablo games.
11/03/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Elae
It might not kill the franchise, if they redeem themselves next Blizzcon and announce Diablo 4.

Though in all honesty, the comments like 'we don't plan a PC game in the future for Diablo' sounds like the first crack in the armor, I mean this isn't just going to blow over...

See, this means the fans might not ever get a Diablo 4, or a Diablo 3 expansion.

The franchise will survive but we will have to wait 50 years or so until all the copyright expires or whenever so can start making our own Diablo games.
Or you can bust out Torchlight Frontiers, which is from the original makers of Diablo 1 / 2 / 2 expac, which is going to be an MMO and PC.
They should have at least said something to the effect of “we’re working on a project for the PC market”

I think the problem here is visible in how Immortal was presented: They were so sure it was going to be well-received that they didn’t even bother to have teasers for other projects.

Blizzard doesn’t know their playerbase; they want to reach a broader market but they are making the mistake of using their old IPs to do it - making the title both unfamiliar and undesirable to new customers and arguably insulting to old customers.

You can do that if you’re reviving a long-dead franchise - see Fallout becoming a FPS - because it’s more like a homage set in a familiar world.

Diablo is still an active franchise, though, with a dedicated playerbase. It was a huge error in PR, likely based on solid marketing data. Yeah, mobile games are profitable in a big way, but this is the wrong kind of game and the wrong audience.
Oh kid you don’t understand. This is not about the survival of the Diablo franchise, this is about Blizzard becoming Activision, it’s about the death of our beloved old Blizz that cared about their customers and were passionate about their games. Activision only wants to earn money no matter how broke their gamer are, Activision doesn’t give a s*** about their playerbase, that’s what Blizzard has became. Now is Diablo mobile with cancerous micro transactions, tomorrow they’ll release wow mobile.
Oh kid you don’t understand. This is not about the survival of the Diablo franchise, this is about Blizzard becoming Activision, it’s about the death of our beloved old Blizz that cared about their customers and were passionate about their games. Activision only wants to earn money no matter hoe borken their gamer are, Activision doesn’t gove a s*** about their playerbase, that’s what Blizzard has became. Now is Diablo mobile with cancerous micro transactions, tomorrow they’ll release wow mobile.

Why do you and others continue to insinuate that Activision is pulling Blizzard Entertainment's strings with zero proof to the matter? Please leave that cancerous chatter for another thread, arguing for it or against it hurts my brain.

Also, for the record: Activision-Blizzard was a thing when WoW was at it's prime in subscription count. Also, Activision only comes first in the Activision-Blizzard merger name because of alphabetical order. So stop.
a mobile game shouldn't have been the centerpiece of the diablo panel.

what other things they have under the covers right now does not matter, although if they know what's best for them they'd give us some idea in order to quell the justified salt. Nintendo had to when Let's Go didn't receive as positive of feedback as they anticipated, and came out and told us gen 8 was on the horizon.

Blizzard needs to do something similar. Even if it's not even past early stages of development, we NEED to hear about what else is planned, because this being all they announced for it is not going to leave a positive mark.
11/03/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Êadweard
Oh kid you don’t understand. This is not about the survival of the Diablo franchise, this is about Blizzard becoming Activision, it’s about the death of our beloved old Blizz that cared about their customers and were passionate about their games. Activision only wants to earn money no matter how broke their gamer are, Activision doesn’t give a s*** about their playerbase, that’s what Blizzard has became. Now is Diablo mobile with cancerous micro transactions, tomorrow they’ll release wow mobile.

It’ll be Starcraft or Warcraft mobile, if anything. It’s easier to rework to a mobile platform. Release Starcraft Mobile worldwide and you suddenly have the entire population of South Korea giving Blizzard $10-20.
Metroid Prime 4 wasn't ready for announcement either. They knew their fanbase and wanted to assure them they still loved them, though.
Why didn't they save this for an Asian event?
You don't tolerate "A little cancer" you destroy it.
11/03/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Bretherezen
Let me remind everybody that, no matter how much I as well personally despise the Diablo Immortal announcement (that is also being used to push the Diablo story and fill in the missing lore gap we fans have died asking for to be filled...), that there are also multiple other major Diablo news announcements that were left out of Blizzcon because the projects were not ready for announcement.

Diablo television show.

So, no, Diablo Immortal will not kill the franchise, and no matter how much NA/Brazil/Canada hates the Diablo Immortal announcement -- myself included -- there are other announcements we can look forward to. The steaming pile of crap that is Diablo Immortal can rot, but i'm looking forward to the future of the franchise.

You are under the mistaken belief that we already don't know this. You seem to truly miss the point of why people are upset.
11/03/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Haunter
a mobile game shouldn't have been the centerpiece of the diablo panel.

We know this. I know this. I am not saying it shouldn't have been. In fact, if you saw me on these forums yesterday, you'd know I personally vehemently hated the announcement and am standing on the same boat all of you are; Diablo Immortal is a sham to this side of the planet.

What's done is done, however, and Blizzard Entertainment is going to be feeling the reprocussions for a long time now. They failed to recognize their market and I am not discounting that, in fact, i've admitted it several times over in this thread alone (yet I get no upvotes apparently for saying the same things everybody else is. I see how it is, blind hate, right? Can't defend the Diablo Developers whatsoever, eh? Tough !@#$.)

But the Diablo news separate from this sham--Diablo Immortal--was apparently un-prepared for world-wide announcement. I knew this, and I still went in to watching Blizzcon with below-average expectations. I de-hyped myself and was still enormously disappointed at the Diablo announcements I was looking forward to (That being to reiterate Diablo Switch, then the following announcement of Diablo Immortal.) Nothing else was said, and that enormously peeved me.

But I know that there is more in the franchise being worked on. Look at their development team's recruiting; Look at their other confirmed project(s) (That being alone that there is a television show in the works apparently), and more. The Diablo team is hard at work on various other projects, and the best we know at the moment is there's guaranteed, or very much near so, to be a television show. The game developers themselves are still very much at their chairs right now working on another video game.

They can't have possibly needed all of those recently hired developers for a retarded Mobile game. The Diablo franchise is not over, so stop acting like it is already.

We're aware now that the Diablo Immortal announcement was marketed horribly. It was clearly not meant for NA consumers. They felt the enormous backflash of their failed PR and now I personally will be moving on and looking forward to the remainder of the Diablo announcements at the next Blizzcon.

I will not hold Diablo Immortal over their heads. I will personally never touch the game. That's all there is to it. Am I disappointed they are also using it to move the Diablo story and fill a lore gap? Damned right I am; Personally, I would've loved to see Diablo Immortal instead have been a true first look at a Diablo RPG style video game (similar to the Elder Scrolls series), and see Westmarch in beautifully spectacular detail. But I can't, and won't, so forget the game.

11/03/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Sargonnax
You are under the mistaken belief that we already don't know this. You seem to truly miss the point of why people are upset.

No, I understand entirely why people are upset over it, and I myself share those viewpoints. Stop thinking I don't. I do.
11/03/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Bretherezen

Diablo television show.

Define "not ready for announcement?"

They should have known how bad announcing a damn mobile game at Blizzcon of all things would go over. But Bethesda does this kind of stuff all the time, and when they do, they at least give verbal confirmation that an actual new installment of popular franchises are in the works. They did this with Fallout 4 and Elder Scrolls VI. Even if they have no concept art or gameplay footage, simply saying "hey, we're working on this, so don't worry," goes a hell of a long way.

That's literally all Blizzard had to do. Say "this isn't the end of Diablo; we're working hard on this next new thing, so stay patient."

But as it is right now, it just looks like everyone who believed that Diablo would have some massive announcement for its fans at Blizzcon got duped to hell. That's a massive loss of trust that cannot easily be regained, and that loss of trust affects us, the entire community, regardless of whether we play Diablo or not.

At this point, why should fans just trust that more new Diablo content is in the works? That trust is what got them only a mobile game announcement at Blizzcon. Fool me once....
They can't have possibly needed all of those recently hired developers for a retarded Mobile game. The Diablo franchise is not over, so stop acting like it is already.

I'm not acting as thought it is. I'm saying that if Blizzard wants to save themselves from this PR nightmare, they'll flat out come out and tell us what else they're working on. I know I'm probably not alone in feeling like I'd have rather had no Diablo news whatsoever than to have the only news be a mobile app.

This is more than just poorly received. This is a case where they need to basically fully admit that they did something wrong, and rectify it as best as they can. And unfortunately I can't see the 2018 Blizzard doing something like that.
11/03/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Haunter
I'm not acting as thought it is. I'm saying that if Blizzard wants to save themselves from this PR nightmare, they'll flat out come out and tell us what else they're working on. I know I'm probably not alone in feeling like I'd have rather had no Diablo news whatsoever than to have the only news be a mobile app.

This is more than just poorly received. This is a case where they need to basically fully admit that they did something wrong, and rectify it as best as they can. And unfortunately I can't see the 2018 Blizzard doing something like that.

Well, they're probably not going to flat-out come out and tell us what they're working on. As much as I or anybody else wants to know, they're keeping it under wraps. If it wasn't ready for announcement, they probably won't mention it beyond the vague reitaration i've already stated: "We're working on other various Diablo-themed projects."

In hindsight, that was all they needed to say to appease a great many people. The remainder still would have been unhappy with the announcement regardless. I still would be, I know that, but at least it would have been something to sit on. Still, I went to Blizzcon with the same knowledge everybody else on those Diablo forums received: Other projects are being worked on, and some or most of it was not ready for Blizzcon.

They, and a lot of people here on these forums, are acting as if Diablo Immortal is the end of the franchise. I did not mean to imply in my generalization I was aiming it entirely at you, but instead at a crowd of people.

11/03/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Arron
Define "not ready for announcement?"

The game, video, television series or other is simply not produced enough to be announced? Seriously, do I need to detail that for you?

They should have known how bad announcing a damn mobile game at Blizzcon of all things would go over.

But they didn't, and they didn't know their North American-and-party audience they were up on stage for. They got a big wake up call with Blizzcon for the Diablo fans, that's for sure.

But as it is right now, it just looks like everyone who believed that Diablo would have some massive announcement for its fans at Blizzcon got duped to hell. That's a massive loss of trust that cannot easily be regained, and that loss of trust affects us, the entire community, regardless of whether we play Diablo or not.

And don't I know it? Again: I am still absolutely peeved that we only got half-assed announcements at Blizzcon. Nothing substantial was announced whatsoever. Over-all, I resent this Blizzcon. All of what they revealed could have silently been rolled out and everybody other than some of the WoW after-Panel would've been entirely happy with the results. None of what they announced was at all major news for highlighting. I'm freaking peeved that I wasted time watching it, especially when I personally was still looking forward to the Diablo announcements most.

I suppose today i'll try and have low expectations for the Starcraft announcements, but we'll see.
11/03/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Notprimal
You don't tolerate "A little cancer" you destroy it.