LMAO @ everyone fooling themselves(serious)

Classic Discussion
If the lead dev truly believes "sharding" is good for classic in the first few weeks. What really makes you think they wont apply it to the game later on when the real stress test start happening.

For those of you not paying attention to retail there have been a lot of stealth changes they didn't bother to tell anyone about(look at guild UI management). What makes you think they wont make stealth changes to their little side project that is classic??? Seriously makes me lol hard that people think sharding will only be in the starting zones.

The servers really start getting stressed out during world PVP and world bosses later on, when most people are 60. You have more spell animations flying around, people spamming more abilities, people constantly dying and respawning, mounts running around. This is really what contributes to the lag.

Imagine what the flight path at tauren mill will look like during peak....let alone when word spreads there is a huge PVP battle going on. LMFAO if you think they wont use sharding here. This is when you save some random dude with a heal or CC and next thing you know theyre on your friends list forever.

Ion has already mention kazzak and i dont really need to explain how sharding will ruin this experience...

I cant tell you how many time i made friends with people during vanilla while waiting on mobs to respawn. This is part of the vanilla experience...this is what made the game so social. I cant tell you how many times i camped or got camped by someone only to see them later on in a different zone or bg, feels good. Game really started to die for me when i could no longer recognize the same people.

i mage a mage on laughingskull back in 2005 and only interacted with people from laughingskull. Thats the way it should be.

WIthout that you cant even call it "Classic".
https://i.imgur.com/tW1uKAo.png
I agree, and I think if we have sharded servers throughout classic it will kill the experience. I have friends that have moved across the country because we met on vanilla. We still hang out to this day doing stuff in game and IRL. I go there every year for thanksgiving. If you shard servers like modern day WoW, it takes away from this experience which was a huge part of WoW.

Also, PvP. When you have sharded servers, you don't have the chance to build rivalries with specific players and groups, and losing that in PvP has ruined modern PvP.
11/04/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Káracyn
If you shard servers like modern day WoW, it takes away from this experience which was a huge part of WoW.
No, it won't, as you would be still playing on the same server.
11/04/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Sejni
11/04/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Káracyn
If you shard servers like modern day WoW, it takes away from this experience which was a huge part of WoW.
No, it won't, as you would be still playing on the same server.

If someone is on my server and we are in the same location, then I should be able to see them point blank and the periodt.
What's interesting to me is how many more people are pro change now. I don't know if it was papa Ion telling them "you think you do but you don't" at blizzcon or what, but there are much more people accepting of change now compared to a few weeks ago or even a few days ago.
11/04/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Ghan
What's interesting to me is how many more people are pro change now. I don't know if it was papa Ion telling them "you think you do but you don't" at blizzcon or what, but there are much more people accepting of change now compared to a few weeks ago or even a few days ago.

I will always prefer no change over some change, but we have to be realistic here, otherwise we're just deluding ourselves. Frankly, I had so much fun playing the demo and can't wait for launch, I will accepted a few changes here and there as long as for the most part I get the game back that I've been jonesing to play for years. Just where I'm at now. I need my fix man!
11/04/2018 09:54 AMPosted by Foxkin
11/04/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Sejni
...No, it won't, as you would be still playing on the same server.

If someone is on my server and we are in the same location, then I should be able to see them point blank and the periodt.

This. Anyone playing on X server, standing in the same area, should see eachother. End of story. Anything else and you have modern MMO megaserver sharding nonsense.

And anyone believing this junk will be temporary or only for a first few days is fooling themselves. That's exactly how this stuff crept into retail, too.
Oh cool a conspiracy theory.
It is very hard to trust ActiBlizz after how they handled sharding in retail.

Wait no not very hard, impossible.
At the end of the day we have nothing but their word.
I happen to believe them. They said it themselves they want to recreate playing vanilla but not necessarily the vanilla launch experience.
Are they going to keep true to their word? We literally can't know until we get there.
To me it makes sense. There will never be as many players anywhere else at one place at one time other than the starting zones at launch.
And I'll say this again, the "authentic" experience is different for literally millions of people.
I truly understand wanting to experience what it was like logging in at launch day 1. But you also need to understand there are a lot more people who logged on for the first time after launch, with probably less people around them than what the sharding will provide, and they did not experience this same "authentic" laggy,buggy,broken,crashing launch that you experienced. And you need to realize that if you think your argument is valid, then so are theirs.
11/04/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Mini
I happen to believe them. They said it themselves they want to recreate playing vanilla but not necessarily the vanilla launch experience.
Are they going to keep true to their word? We literally can't know until we get there.
To me it makes sense. There will never be as many players anywhere else at one place at one time other than the starting zones at launch.
And I'll say this again, the "authentic" experience is different for literally millions of people.
I truly understand wanting to experience what it was like logging in at launch day 1. But you also need to understand there are a lot more people who logged on for the first time after launch, with probably less people around them than what the sharding will provide, and they did not experience this same "authentic" laggy,buggy,broken,crashing launch that you experienced. And you need to realize that if you think your argument is valid, then so are theirs.

Blizzard gave us their word that CRZ's would be limited to past expansion content and NOT used in current content. Did they keep "true to their word"?

Blizzard (J. Allen Brack) also told us almost a year ago that there would be NO CRZ's or sharding.

"One of the tenets of Classic WoW is none of the cross-server realms and different [server] sharding options that we have available to us today. There’s a lot of desire on part of the community that this is something that they don’t want."

That quote is from this article:

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

Did they keep "true to their word"?

Given the fact that they broke their word regarding CRZ's being only for past expansion content and they have already broken their word about NO sharding, what makes you think that they will "keep true to their word" and actually limit sharding to a brief time and only in the starting zones?
There will never be as many players anywhere else at one place at one time other than the starting zones at launch.

This is just incorrect. Starting zones at launch will have all the online pop split between at least 6 different locations. Stuff like the AQ Gate opening will have everyone online in one small part of Silithus if they can get there. If they use reasonable server population caps and queues launch won't have load problems, just mob availability issues which is perfectly ok, especially if sharding is the only alternative...

Also, 10 years ago I might have put some faith in Blizzard to keep their word. After all the times the last few expansions where they have done about-faces I don't believe them about something as simple as "the sun will rise in the east tomorrow"...
Let them continue to trash the retail version with their “we dont want you to have to work for this” mentality. Make vanilla lite for the kids and leave vanilla alone for the rest of us.

Sharding is being tested in starter zones to see what the pushback would be when they put it in the really lag intensive areas of the game.
11/04/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Möm
What really makes you think they wont apply it to the game later on when the real stress test start happening.

Come on on guys, do you really think Blizzard lie about something? Let's be reasonable.
11/04/2018 11:13 AMPosted by Xjum
11/04/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Möm
What really makes you think they wont apply it to the game later on when the real stress test start happening.

Come on on guys, do you really think Blizzard lie about something? Let's be reasonable.

You left off the /sarcasm (I hope because if not you should educate yourself before posting)
!@#$ sharding
even at the start of the server
u know that they will use it again if they can
world bosses
zg opening
aq opening
it might even happen on city raids - on one shard it will be full fledged war , on another empty thrall room
11/04/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Ghan

NPCs playing an MMO.

11/04/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Mini
I happen to believe them.

Mini the Mini Brained.

11/04/2018 11:13 AMPosted by Xjum

/s
11/04/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Ratsmats
Blizzard (J. Allen Brack) also told us almost a year ago that there would be NO CRZ's or sharding.

"One of the tenets of Classic WoW is none of the cross-server realms and different [server] sharding options that we have available to us today. There’s a lot of desire on part of the community that this is something that they don’t want."

That quote is from this article:

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

Did they keep "true to their word"?

yes because he did not say they would not use them, just that they were something the community does not want.

11/04/2018 10:43 AMPosted by Ellilaine
This is just incorrect. Starting zones at launch will have all the online pop split between at least 6 different locations. Stuff like the AQ Gate opening will have everyone online in one small part of Silithus if they can get there. If they use reasonable server population caps and queues launch won't have load problems, just mob availability issues which is perfectly ok, especially if sharding is the only alternative...

Well no I think he is 100% right though, sure back in Vanilla it was not that bad, but this is a relaunch of something people have been waiting for 10+ years, the starting areas at launch will easily see the most people in single areas in Classic. It took Vanilla months to hit the numbers I expect Classic to hit the first week.

Now the gate opening , as far as server stabliity goes, was a huge failure and we had vanilla pop numbers and queues and the servers still went down, will it be as bad this time? Meh, I dunno, quite a bit of the appeal of it back then was seeing something like that for the first time on that level, it may be similliar, but I dunno if it will be that close to it. To me, that would be the only place I would use it, and I would set the count a lot higher, or do things like restrict the opening event to certain levels.