Stop downplaying the Diablo problem

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 2 3 4 10 Next
Stop up-playing it here.

It is NOT a problem for WoW. It's not Warcraft. It's not even in our universe. We may see things like mobile spinoffs of Hearthstone (if there aren't already - I don't know, I don't follow it).

Blizzard needs to go where players can pay them, and that includes the mobile game market.

You need to go where this discussion is appropriate - Diablo Forums.
11/04/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Somalion
What is to downplay ?
Will it affect WoW ? Even if they put out a WoW mobile game ? No.
Will it affect D3/D4 ? No
Will it affect Overwatch/HoTS/Hearthstone ? No

Blizzard can put out 20 new games on 20 different platforms and it won't affect their current game library at all.

Someone doesn't see the big picture.
11/04/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Mony
11/04/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Monrith
I see a lot of people shrugging off the Diablo problem like it doesn't effect them.

this company, and the developers have #### on a lot of people the last 5 years or so. stand in line, and take it like a man.

"You're supposed to like getting !@# $%^-ed by a company! Sit back and take it!"
Dont care at all about the mobile game, I care about the attitude Blizzard has towards their customers and the fact that their management is GARBAGE!

Who the hell is running this company? This is pathetic, even as a business decision!

The managers of these companies are going to run them straight into the ground while they escape with their golden parachutes and severance bonuses. This happens in every industry at somepoint but is completely avoidable if even a slight care is given towards quality.
11/04/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Aijomi
11/04/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Viviornitier
I hope the WoW devs got the message from this diablo mobile backlash...

That gamers are so selfish and entitled that if a project doesn't directly cater to them or their tastes then it should not be allowed to exist at all?

Ask them why Diablo shouldn't exist on PC at all, when it has for its entire life up until now. I get change is hard, but let's be real. I personally wouldn't want to come home at the end of a work day to play a game on my mobile device. Even if it's a game I like, I'd rather game on PC or console. I don't think I'm the only one.

That gamers are so selfish and entitled that if a project doesn't directly cater to them or their tastes then it should not be allowed to exist at all?

I'd rather have nothing at all than a pile of !@#$.
Okay, I admit I don't really care that much. Because it's just a game. It's not my life.

Yes, I would be unhappy if WoW went mobile, and I totally understand the outrage of Diablo fans who thought they were going to get a real game announced.

But it's still just a game. Some of these posts make it sound like people's livelihoods--or even lives--are at stake. Like we need a call to action to handle this horrific turn of events or the world is doomed!

Yeah, no. It's a game. I've got other things I can do if it goes mobile.
NO OP. And STOP spamming the forums with the same rubbish.
It's getting ridiculous.
IMO the diablo situation comes down to what is actually going on.

Is this them no longer giving a !@#$ and cashing out of diablo? because that it what it looks like.

Why was a chinese studio used to make the game? Maybe it's a quality game that you had to partner with a chinese company to gain access to the chinese market. Or maybe you give 0 %^-*s about diablo and partnering with them lets you re-skin one of their games so you can cheaply make some cash off the Diablo brand with minimal effort and overhead. Since it looks like a re-skin of their game it looks like the latter. An easy cash grab, trying to milk the pay to win whales in the freemium mobile space.

How are you going to make money off the game? Is it a one time purchase? Aesthetics? Is it freemium? is it pay to win?

What does this mean for the PC franchise? Should PC players expect the future of Diablo to be mobile devices?

For what it's worth, freemium and chasing whales in a more mature market like the PC gaming market is seen as low brow and unethical. Loot boxes done wrong are seen as gambling for children. It's a bit hyperbolic to compare it to tobacco, but I think of freemium whales as the same kind of thing. Sure it's not as bad in that you don't get cancer, but a company is exploiting poor decisions. Those people have a right to make those decisions, and maybe its worth it for them. But I think a lot of them regret it later, and I'm not really interested in supporting companies like that.

So if you are going for a cheaper game with easy returns exploiting gamblers/wales with a pay to win diablo mobile game. Maybe a lot of people will be ok with that, maybe you will make a lot of money. Truthfully, maybe the handicapped guy who can't work and is on disability isn't getting a lot of wins, so paying to win in a mobile game might make him feel a bit better, and might be bet better than drugs or alcohol abuse, but I'm not interested in supporting a company like that. If it was just rich people it wouldn't bother me. I don't care if you make $100,000 a year and spend $10,000 on video games so you can win or whatever. But It makes me uncomfortable that a lot of mobile companies make money off whales, who are typically people who are not doing well, who don't have a lot of money, and use pay to win mobile games to 'score wins' so to speak, because they aren't getting any wins in real life.

I hope to develop games some time, it might not happen, finishing up in college and have a decent job lined up probably (not quite official yet - the job is also not in gaming). But I looked into mobile games. it's a great platform to get into if you are starting out. But freemium and making money off whales makes me uncomfortable.

Hopefully that explains some reasons why Mobile Diablo is so incredibly disappointing, or potentially disappointing, and so broadly disappointing.

A P2W game? yeah.
Its bad for gaming. Why?
Because especially those mobile P2W games are created around micro transactions.
Do you know who Blizzard partnered with?
Do you know what kind of other mobile games they've released?
11/04/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Snowfox
These forums kind of have complaint-fatigue.

Every day, every day, there's complaints and how "this time it's for real"

For 13+ years we've had that. People get tired of hearing there's a wolf, every day, for 13+ years.

No one makes you frequent them.
11/04/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Velara
11/04/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Snowfox
These forums kind of have complaint-fatigue.

Every day, every day, there's complaints and how "this time it's for real"

For 13+ years we've had that. People get tired of hearing there's a wolf, every day, for 13+ years.

No one makes you frequent them.

No one makes you frequent them either.

This conversation is already boring me though.
11/04/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Mythreus
You know like mature grown adults do to "vote" their dislike to a company...stop being a paid customer.
If that mattered or had any impact on their design philosophy they'd be bending over backwards to all the complaints of their games currently. They don't. They're fine letting people jump ship and just trying to milk their shrinking player base for even MORE money instead, because then they don't have to admit they're wrong, actually fix things, or come up with new stuff to try and get people back.
11/04/2018 04:04 PMPosted by Brahmina
Okay, I admit I don't really care that much. Because it's just a game. It's not my life.

Yes, I would be unhappy if WoW went mobile, and I totally understand the outrage of Diablo fans who thought they were going to get a real game announced.

But it's still just a game. Some of these posts make it sound like people's livelihoods--or even lives--are at stake. Like we need a call to action to handle this horrific turn of events or the world is doomed!

Yeah, no. It's a game. I've got other things I can do if it goes mobile.

First., they came for Diablo.

I don't play Diablo so I didn't care. . .
11/04/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Akaidian
They're fine letting people jump ship and just trying to milk their shrinking player base for even MORE money instead, because then they don't have to admit they're wrong, actually fix things, or come up with new stuff to try and get people back.

Isn't that exactly the issue though - that INSTEAD of milking their existing playerbase they are trying to go after a new larger player base? .. and their existing diablo playerbase doesn't like how they are doing that? They want to be milked instead?
11/04/2018 03:58 PMPosted by Tymberlea
Stop up-playing it here.

It is NOT a problem for WoW. It's not Warcraft. It's not even in our universe. We may see things like mobile spinoffs of Hearthstone (if there aren't already - I don't know, I don't follow it).

Blizzard needs to go where players can pay them, and that includes the mobile game market.

You need to go where this discussion is appropriate - Diablo Forums.

The wider view has escaped you.
I don’t care. Is that better than saying it doesn’t effect me ?

If they do something I don’t like to WoW the only game from them I play then I will cancel and find a new hobby. Not a big deal.
11/04/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Baltharn
<span class="truncated">...</span>

How do you know it's a pile of trash? Have u played it? Gamers that played the demo love it.
There are other Diablo projects on the boil.

There are other Diablo projects on the boil.

The malicious part of me wants Blizzard to cancel them because of the petulant response (Is this an April fools?) from entitled jerks who think they own the franchise. But because they're probably decent humans, they won't do that.

If you don't like what they are doing, don't play it? It doesn't mean microtransactions will be everywhere.

The only guarantee to longevity in gaming is quality, something that Blizzard understands.

How do you know it's a pile of trash? Have u played it? Gamers that played the demo love it.

It's a reskin of a Chinese mobile game dude