Death Knights

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
When they are created/raised by the Lich King just before Wrath of the Lich King, when roughly did they die? Or do we not know exactly?
Assuming you are referring to the current ranks of Death Knights (and not the Death Knights originally created by the Orcish Horde), then it probably depends on your race.

Orcs necessarily died between Wrath of the Lich King and the First War, as their bodies weren't present on Azeroth before that time. Likewise, Draenei had to have died between the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King. This is also assuming that your own personal story does not involve your Draenei or Orc being on Azeroth before the bulk of those races.

Many Death Knights likely came to be as a result of the Third War and the wars in the Plaguelands. These are areas where the races have had the most direct contact with the Scourge and thus provided the Lich King with plenty of fresh hero bodies. However, it also does not seem like there is a confirmed "limit" how early the Death Knight could have died and still be raised. It does seem reasonable that the better preserved bodies (so either very well kept corpses or the recent dead) would be better suited to become a Death Knight.
Building on what Yokumba stated, there's a frequent RP idea that a lot of corpses for future raising were essentially put on ice by the Scourge to be used at a later date, allowing many DK RPers to state their characters were killed in battle weeks, sometimes months before their actual raising.

I'm not personally aware of any lore corroborating this, but it seems like a likely thing the Scourge would do regardless, considering how much effort and training they put into their death knight program.
11/05/2018 11:59 AMPosted by Cannibal
Building on what Yokumba stated, there's a frequent RP idea that a lot of corpses for future raising were essentially put on ice by the Scourge to be used at a later date, allowing many DK RPers to state their characters were killed in battle weeks, sometimes months before their actual raising.

I'm not personally aware of any lore corroborating this, but it seems like a likely thing the Scourge would do regardless, considering how much effort and training they put into their death knight program.

I tried to hedge all of my statements by saying they are "likely" or that some positions are "reasonable" because there isn't a lot of citable source material other than "Well, Death Knights visually aren't as decayed as Forsaken, so maybe there was recency or preservation involved".
11/05/2018 12:01 PMPosted by Yokumba
I tried to hedge all of my statements by saying they are "likely" or that some positions are "reasonable" because there isn't a lot of citable source material other than "Well, Death Knights visually aren't as decayed as Forsaken, so maybe there was recency or preservation involved".
I always chalked that up to Blizzard not wanting to make decayed models for each race, and would rather do some painted reskins. The DK skintones seem to show a good amount of DK, and there's a lot of official artwork with decayed DKs as well.

Either way, the flexibility is pretty nice, especially for a hero class. Demon hunters don't have nearly as much wiggle room for unique backstories and storylines.
Yokumba pinned it down pretty well on the generations. Third gen are the death knights raised during the Third War and Wrath, although exactly when during this time they were raised is variable. There's a lot of wiggle room on it.

One thing I do want to note is that we technically have a fourth gen now, with the events of Legion. Suitable corpses were spirited away from the battlefield and brought to Ebon Hold to be raised by the Deathlord(with help from the Lich King, of course) into new death knights. It's unknown how many were raised and managed to survive Legion, and debatable how much free will they have when compared to third gen. However, it is another avenue to take for backstory if you want your character to have been raised more recently.
The starting cinematic and the origin series seem to indicate that each Death Knight was originally a member of either the Argent Dawn or the Argent Crusade killed in the Scourge offensive that wiped out the bulk of the Argent Dawn, the survivors forming the new Argent Crusade after Tirion Fiordring resumed his Paladin status.

I would say that the base assumption Death Knights were probably killed at the same period the Scourge invasions were sweeping the capitals of Azeroth. No having to keep bodies in storage for long period because you're all relatively fresh...(well for the Forsaken, as fresh as you'd get.) That also explains why you have Death Knights of races that would have been new to the party, i.e. Night/Blood Elves, Draenei, etc.
11/14/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Drahliana
The starting cinematic and the origin series seem to indicate that each Death Knight was originally a member of either the Argent Dawn or the Argent Crusade killed in the Scourge offensive that wiped out the bulk of the Argent Dawn, the survivors forming the new Argent Crusade after Tirion Fiordring resumed his Paladin status.

That is woefully Pigeonholing an entire class of lore just based on in-game events. Sure, the 'canonical' DK Nameless Hero might have this lore, but I'm pretty sure not all Death Knights were former paladins of this one order, and died at the same time.
The PC death knight was, not every single death knight. This also isn't the case for worgen, who come from Arugal's bunch.
11/14/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Raìku

That is woefully Pigeonholing an entire class of lore just based on in-game events. Sure, the 'canonical' DK Nameless Hero might have this lore, but I'm pretty sure not all Death Knights were former paladins of this one order, and died at the same time.

I didn't say Paladins. the Argent Crusade and Dawn's membership was not limited to Paladins.
I wish I thought you were joking.

Fine, the Argent Crusade/Dawn were not all Paladins, but the Death Knights are ALSO not all Argent Crusade/Dawn.