So we tried Garrisons and Class halls....

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
11/09/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Tentaclatrix
11/09/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Mistblossom

Yeah, because afking in Dazar'alor making 0 interaction with anyone else around you is much better.

What a stupid rebuttal.

It is better. MMORPG isn't a RPG.

That comment alone determined you’re too far gone to even have a normal argument with.
11/09/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Paladina
So everyone gets to hide in their house like with garrisons, leaving behind a ghost town of a playing field, no thank you!

No... Like many things implemented in this game recently, the problems were obvious, the solutions easy, and despite these being the case, the framework was executed poorly.

Solution for not having people "sit in their houses": DOn't put bank, auction house, profession vendors, and every other possible player amenity in them.
It's just a house with decorations.

And if you're going to have "invasions" of them, don't make the gates wide open where enemies just kinda casually stroll in for you to AOE down for 5 minutes.. We already have wintergrasp with destructable walls and RTS-style elements. Just do that. I mean, we even had the resource gathering already too. Systems for making this 1000x better were already even in the game and implemented.
So everyone gets to hide in their house like with garrisons, leaving behind a ghost town of a playing field, no thank you!
Guess what?

Not having player housing isn’t going to “force” antisocial players to go be social.
It’s just going to “force” them to go play a game that does.
11/09/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Zeropointt

Bye - you were in the thread about people who quit.
Garrisons were a disaster, everything about them was implemented wrong.

Class Halls were ok, but the biggest thing wrong with them was it was required segregation between classes, you can find pros and cons of this but mostly its gunna be seen negatively. Having a major central hub for all will always promote a better social aspect of the game. Dragging people away from this promotes more solitary actions and ultimately lessens any player interaction. True, some people want less player interaction, but most don't.

I remember when DAoC introduced player housing. They did a great job in my opinion, probably the best job for player housing that I've ever seen, but in the end, it only made the capitol city and quest hubs seem lonelier and make people lose interest because they thought the games were becoming ghost servers, which in turn actually did make them lose interest.
11/09/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Amine
11/09/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Zeropointt

Bye - you were in the thread about people who quit.
I don’t care about player housing, and I still have until 11/25, so keep following my progress.
You’re literally arguing against something that doesn’t affect you just to be contrarian.
I’m supporting it because it doesn’t affect me and I don’t get a thrill out of seeing others NOT get something they want.

The trick is to not make it have everything a player needs. Dont put anything a player actually needs in it like an auction house, portals, a bank, and so. Make it fully cosmetic and customizable to the player's desire. It would also be the ultimate gold sink for blizzard to give players.
I'd rather them focus on content we can go out and do rather than giving us a place to hang around and not do anything. The community is already pretty spread out across all the cities and with everything in the world to do. If people want to make houses and design them I've heard the sims has a pretty good engine to do it in O.o.
11/09/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Fayenara
Garrisons were a disaster, everything about them was implemented wrong.

Class Halls were ok, but the biggest thing wrong with them was it was required segregation between classes, you can find pros and cons of this but mostly its gunna be seen negatively. Having a major central hub for all will always promote a better social aspect of the game. Dragging people away from this promotes more solitary actions and ultimately lessens any player interaction. True, some people want less player interaction, but most don't.

I remember when DAoC introduced player housing. They did a great job in my opinion, probably the best job for player housing that I've ever seen, but in the end, it only made the capitol city and quest hubs seem lonelier and make people lose interest because they thought the games were becoming ghost servers, which in turn actually did make them lose interest.
Garrisons were tied to game progression. You HAD to do them to progress through game content, plus, they were HUGE gold-makers.

That’s not what I’ve EVER seen people who want player housing ask for. They just wanted something cosmetic.
11/09/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Aamodon
What is with you guys and wanting to turn wow into FF14?

Because, FF has a bunch of good ideas.

11/09/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Ragingcoup
I'd rather them focus on content we can go out and do rather than giving us a place to hang around and not do anything. The community is already pretty spread out across all the cities and with everything in the world to do. If people want to make houses and design them I've heard the sims has a pretty good engine to do it in O.o.

Toys/pets are just another form of this. It's just more collectables. If you want "content" like isles, I dont even know what to tell you, man.
There's quite a lot of people (Not all obviously) that would suddenly start doing the grindy content if they could be getting pieces towards housing customization.

I've seen it happen before in other games. People are asking for incentive to do the things they have laid out for us. This would be an incentive for some people.
11/09/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Lillyann
There's quite a lot of people (Not all obviously) that would suddenly start doing the grindy content if they could be getting pieces towards housing customization.

I've seen it happen before in other games. People are asking for incentive to do the things they have laid out for us. This would be an incentive for some people.

Its almost like players in mmo like showing off achievements, collectables and having a bit of artistic freedom.

Crazy concept.
It's not like it would be terribly difficult. Pick a location in each capital (and dalaran, and shattrath) and declare it to be The House. You can buy access to The House from someone in the town, probably someone in the guild vendor's office (like mounts, you gotta be exalted to get one outside your home city). You go in, you get your own phase, like with garrisons or (to a lesser degree) class halls or the dalaran trophy hall. The level of customization could be whatever they can manage; selecting artwork for the walls, pets to be running around, maybe statues, those have all been done before and should be straightforward. Adding relocatable furniture would probably be more effort, but choosing furniture for a set of fixed locations would be pretty simple (an extension of the statue system). Net database usage, probably under a kilobyte per purchased house.

Most utility stuff doesn't belong. A transmog wardrobe. A stable master thing for hunters to swap pets. A cooking fire. Plants as decor are fine, but probably not an herb node. If you want to go nuts, a bank-alike that has one tab, to store gear. Armor racks, maybe, ala skyrim (basically a container that holds clothes and looks like a mannequin wearing whatever it's holding). Maybe let it be a hearthstone target (you still only get one). If you're an engineer, you might have the option to leave one of your bots up as a piece of "furniture". Same for some toys.

Basically a place you can go, look upon the evidence of your amazing works, and log out. Not a replacement for anything else.
11/09/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Xerianaa
It's not like it would be terribly difficult. Pick a location in each capital (and dalaran, and shattrath) and declare it to be The House. You can buy access to The House from someone in the town, probably someone in the guild vendor's office (like mounts, you gotta be exalted to get one outside your home city). You go in, you get your own phase, like with garrisons or (to a lesser degree) class halls or the dalaran trophy hall. The level of customization could be whatever they can manage; selecting artwork for the walls, pets to be running around, maybe statues, those have all been done before and should be straightforward. Adding relocatable furniture would probably be more effort, but choosing furniture for a set of fixed locations would be pretty simple (an extension of the statue system). Net database usage, probably under a kilobyte per purchased house.

Most utility stuff doesn't belong. A transmog wardrobe. A stable master thing for hunters to swap pets. A cooking fire. Plants as decor are fine, but probably not an herb node. If you want to go nuts, a bank-alike that has one tab, to store gear. Armor racks, maybe, ala skyrim (basically a container that holds clothes and looks like a mannequin wearing whatever it's holding). Maybe let it be a hearthstone target (you still only get one). If you're an engineer, you might have the option to leave one of your bots up as a piece of "furniture". Same for some toys.

Basically a place you can go, look upon the evidence of your amazing works, and log out. Not a replacement for anything else.

That is just the beginning. I believe they should do it like ESO you get a quest in your first town after the starting zone that introduces you to the housing system and at the end you are given an inn room. It isn't big but it is free. The player can then buy other properties from there to expand.

though I believe a thing they should change for WoW is to have the properties be character exclusive and not account wide when bought and also to limit the number of properties you are allowed to own at the same time. If you have say 3 houses and you want a new one you have to sell one of the old ones for a fraction of the price you bought it for. Houses could range from inn rooms to things like a city house in the capitals to lakeside cottages to full on estates. There is plenty of unused space out in the world they could turn into player homes.
100% support player housing.

Actually if done right, player housing would get more players out into the world doing things. Some people might hang out in their houses but that is no different than sitting in a city waiting for a queue to pop while talking to no one. And people would still have to visit cities from time to time to use things like the AH or bank.

Player housing could allow for a more expansive crafting system with all of them having something that could be used to either build, decorate, or furnish the house. They could also add new loot to old and dungeons and raids, world mobs in all zones, world bosses, treasure chests, and all 3 secondary professions. It would give people an incentive to do things like archaeology if they could display all their finds in one location instead of having to go back to old expansion specific locations. Could collect armor or animal trophies to display, let your battle and hunter pets roam around, etc.

No quests, no AH, no bank, no portals to every city in creation. Maybe a mailbox. Cosmetic player housing is what people who ask for this want.

Because, FF has a bunch of good ideas.

[/quote]

But I hated FF14. I hated the story and its 30 minute cutscenes, I hated half the members of Scions, I hated its plot that left numerous plots unfinished and then came back to them with a shock 5 levels later with a "OH NO HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?" and I'm just stuck sitting there like, "Ya, how could this very clearly destructive primal possibly have caused damage after we ignored it for so long." and then I'm told by some albino boy/girl thing to go fight a !@#$ing flying whale or a %^-*ing mech or a !@#$ing rock man or something.

I just...I don't like it. I don't like its weird community and their fetish for cat people. I'm not a fan of their crafting system, I'm not a fan of how their answer to having very few ways to grind other jobs being to open a endless dungeon, but you still have to play the whole story just to access other expansions. Its weird and counterproductive and overall just a boring experience for someone like me and the less we adapt from it, the better. Not to mention that everyone I've heard talk about houses in FF14 only have the drama portions of it to talk about.
11/09/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Magnarok
What on earth for? So you can sit in it alone for a while before leaving it to do anything? Hell, you can already do that in your garrison.

I already do this actually. I'm on a terrible computer and loading dazar'alor is annoying when I don't need to.

Plus, I've got an auction house, bank and mog thing there, I'm set.

Hmm, seems FFXIV is increasing their player base every year while WOW is decreasing theirs. Perhaps some of the features in FFXIV are desirable such as player housing?
11/09/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Aamodon
I don't like its weird community

Community is arguably better than WoW's

11/09/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Aamodon
I'm not a fan of their crafting system

Their crafting system is imo best in any MMO right now