Can't Believe I let myself get Suckered

Story Forum
11/11/2018 05:12 PMPosted by Anyaceltica
11/11/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Demontê

So untrue, so very untrue.

But the hate hype train never stops at reason station.

The Faction Conflict train never made it to the "coherent story" station to begin with. Its always been the weakest story in the franchise.

Sadly this is pretty much the problem. A good war story with both factions winning and losing and having heroes on each side claim and reclaim territory while testing new and deadlier weapons and being sent to try and assassinate leaders and actually having the story move forward would have personally been amazing.

Sadly the game is ironically both too scared to create sweeping changes and yet also willing to do massive rule of cool crap out of left field...

Had the war actually been alliance throwing the first punch. Having their leaders play just slightly nastier and nastier while the Horde is forced to solidify further. The Horde being forced to use major weapons just to stay afloat. And all the while the world is being brought further and further to a head while elements on both sides investigate or try to figure out a way that won't end in total annihilation only to realize N'Zoth has been whispering and playing on emotions. (You know, subtly and not the ridiculous forced aggression that the Sha had) We could have had allied forces been needed because too much mayhem and when it's all at its worse, the naga show up and both factions actually (gasp) lose! Then we play both sides having to ever so slowly and with much disgust, work with each other (not neutrals... each other) until we can finally find some common ground, come to terms with some nonsense and begrudgingly manage to slowly take our lands back from oblivion. The war ends, anger still flares but we silently go back to rebuilding and ciese fire until diplomacy can slowly fix some stuff. Meanwhile those that were acting out of character can say squid god was whispering and tugging emotions while some seek redemption and others slink away for later use (possibly a return of the lich king oh no scenario)
11/11/2018 05:30 PMPosted by Vozul
I thought it would give the Alliance and Horde something to really pump their fists about
I have never once pumped my fist in jubilation or celebration, and if I hear this phrase again I may actually kill someone.
As always, the faction war will always be a farce. You can't have the have the resolution/catharsis a war in fiction normally brings because neither side can be eliminated. There will be no scourging of Lordaeron (in the sense that an entire faction was effectively removed), no Battle of Blackrock Mountain, no time where an entire faction is reduced to rubble.

The horde will never be able to destroy the alliance, nor will the alliance ever be able to dismantle the horde.

Because at its heart, both factions must return to some semblance of the status quo. This is the thing the developers and others don't seem to get. Wars for the balance of power, such as this war, do not simply return to the status quo. And the return to that status quo undo's any and all narrative weight and pathos that can come from a fictional war.
11/11/2018 05:40 PMPosted by Grandblade
I thought it would give the Alliance and Horde something to really dab about
I have never once pumped my fist in jubilation or celebration, and if I hear this phrase again I may actually kill someone.

I'm about to fist pump you in a second. I'll use dab from now on.
11/11/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Vozul

alliance/horde dab moment is now a thing

it's offical
11/11/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Reignac

it's offical

The true measure of faction pride.
... I have never once pumped my fist in jubilation or celebration, and if I hear this phrase again I may actually kill someone.

Okay, good, I've absolutely performed celebratory dabs.
11/11/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Reignac

it's offical

<span class="truncated">...</span>

it's offical

The true measure of faction pride.

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Okay, good, I've absolutely performed celebratory dabs.

See? This is how it should be. Alliance and Horde, standing as one, working together to overcome their differences.

/dab
11/11/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Benezet
My personal prediction is also an invasion of Stormwind. I also think it's gonna make Anduin go Arthas-like in terms of how being traumatized gets him going nuts.

An xpac that starts with the Night Elven capital being razed to the ground and its inhabitants being murdered en masse is not going to end with the Human capital being invaded. The only way that could work for players is if the Humans do something really terrible between now and then, and that isn't on the cards.

Still, it'd be a great way to get any people who prefer Alliance to just drop the game.
11/11/2018 03:59 PMPosted by Anyaceltica
11/11/2018 03:57 PMPosted by Reallyhappy
Wait you thought a faction war would have been good?

The faction war is always terrible.
OK, great, bye. If you don't realize on a purely writing perspective that the Faction Conflict is unsustainable (to the point where they had to shoe-horn Sylvie into the Warchief spot just to keep it going), then I don't know what to tell you. Not only that, but logistically it just doesn't make sense to keep it going (within the last 34 years nearly EVERY PC race has had a near extinction level event; not to mention the constant cross faction alliances to fight a greater evil).

Where the !@#$ are the races of Azeroth getting these expendable people to fight these perpetual wars? Even the shorter lived races would have only had enough time for 1-1/2 generations AT THE MOST since the start of the First War. Do we have secret breeding factories underneath every capital city where we not only force civilians to propagate, but also magically age all their offspring? %^-*, nearly every race on Azeroth should be bordering on extinction by now.

At this point the next expansion should be called; WoW: Breeding Time.
There was never going to be a conclusive victor between the only two playable factions in this sort of MMO. That should stand to reason. It could, perhaps, be done in a different game, with a different structure and different history and fan base, but it would be a wrecking ball within WoW.

Faction wars between playable factions are difficult to begin with, as Games Workshop can attest. I won't ramble on here, but have a look at:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Storm_of_Chaos

Which was its own special cluster of cringe.
11/11/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Droité

That sounds way more fun than the current expansion. I'd buy it.
11/11/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Droité
I think the fact that we're all frequently posting on a forum for a video game's story proves that there's some level of frustration going on here.
11/11/2018 08:49 PMPosted by Zamari
There was never going to be a conclusive victor between the only two playable factions in this sort of MMO. That should stand to reason. It could, perhaps, be done in a different game, with a different structure and different history and fan base, but it would be a wrecking ball within WoW.

Faction wars between playable factions are difficult to begin with, as Games Workshop can attest. I won't ramble on here, but have a look at:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Storm_of_Chaos

Which was its own special cluster of cringe.

Which, after the electric boogaloo of this (end times), resulted in the Travesty known as the Age of Sigmar. I can't believe I am saying this, but for people wishing for the Black Empire to win...You may think you want it, but you don't. You Really DON'T.
OP has been leaving posts in RP community forums pretty much throwing a tantrum on the way out,

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769619504?page=2#post-28

So... yeah, don't feel bad we lost him, he's also not a good person if info is to be believed.
Also quoting in case he chages his mind about "never looking back"

11/11/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Aelamdor
A faction war expansion? A real return to the heart and soul of this franchise, the Alliance and Horde conflict for dominance of this world?

Who was I kidding. I called it after MoP, WoD, and I didn't listen to myself. We're never gonna get this game back. The people in charge right now have no clue what the universe is supposed to be. They're doing whatever they want to make content and raids. It doesn't matter what fan-favorites for twenty years get sacrificed for progression.

Unsubscribed and I'm not looking back.
11/11/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Aelamdor
A faction war expansion? A real return to the heart and soul of this franchise, the Alliance and Horde conflict for dominance of this world?

Who was I kidding. I called it after MoP, WoD, and I didn't listen to myself. We're never gonna get this game back. The people in charge right now have no clue what the universe is supposed to be. They're doing whatever they want to make content and raids. It doesn't matter what fan-favorites for twenty years get sacrificed for progression.

Unsubscribed and I'm not looking back.

This is the story forum, not an airport terminal. you don't need to announce your departure.
Why am I not surprised the guy spamming RP forums, calling all RPers scum, and who was outed as being a neo-!@#$, is making big attention grabbing "I quit!" posts