It’s official. No iconic armor for night elves :(

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
Why are Night Elf players happy that aren’t getting their most recognizable armor as heritage?
Wearing very little armor is kind of iconic for Night Elves, given that they don't want to get caught up on trees, make noise with jingly pieces, and it just goes away for a lot of them anyways when they shapeshift.

Guaranteed the racial armor will be some gaudy, oversized, overarmored, Stormwind inspired "ensemble."

That set the npcs have, or something akin to it, maybe that but a more grandoise version of it, is what I was hoping for.
11/13/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Caelin
11/13/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Sibenice
Because your thin leather gear does such a better job at protecting you from magic, wild beasts the size of a car and bosses the size of a house. Don't try to bring realism into a game with magic.

Enchanted leather armor, Hard to enchant armor that doesn't exist. I mean if the Horde are going to shot you in the @*#@#@@%, sure go for the stripper armor. I will stick to full body protection myself.

When magic is a thing coverage doesnt matter. As far as we know the magic creates a invisible force field and all we need to do is dodge. Less weight hindering us the better.

Applying reality to a fantasy setting doesn't work. Now the best thing to do is have a large variety models to choose from and let players roll as they please.

Thats why xmog exists to give players options.

Also consider nearly invulnerable characters in various fantasy settings. For example neither superman or supergirl need armor they can fight naked and still take no damage from anything.
11/13/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Moonrain
11/13/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Lóthorin
WHEW.

I did not want to run around in a loincloth.

Me neither, i want to run around without one.

*strips and runs*
I've never seen a bear or cat with a loincloth on. That would be kind of funny.
11/13/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Scruit
11/13/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Caelin
Last thing we need is more stripper armor, no one would go into combat wearing stuff like that...

... I go into combat wearing stripper armor

<---

Yea, but for a gnome, a bikini is like a full body suit.
*sigh*... another let down.
11/13/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Firekatkid
Wearing very little armor is kind of iconic for Night Elves, given that they don't want to get caught up on trees, make noise with jingly pieces, and it just goes away for a lot of them anyways when they shapeshift.

Guaranteed the racial armor will be some gaudy, oversized, overarmored, Stormwind inspired "ensemble."

That set the npcs have, or something akin to it, maybe that but a more grandoise version of it, is what I was hoping for.
We told you guys this would happen humans pooping all over your culture.
11/13/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Eurydicel
11/13/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Moonrain
Me neither, i want to run around without one.

*strips and runs*
I've never seen a bear or cat with a loincloth on. That would be kind of funny.
Furblogs and Saberon says hi.
11/13/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Hylianlich
11/13/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Firekatkid

We told you guys this would happen humans pooping all over your culture.

Heck, it's been happening for 14 years now. We can even be bothered to go make some of our own ruins into small towns. That would give us a second unique building style and lawdy, that would upset the potential.
All of this talk about skimpy armor not being realistic while I’m over here thinking when the Troll armor comes out and it’s tribal/barely there, nobody will complain because some how that will make sense all of a sudden.
11/13/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Syrune
All of this talk about skimpy armor not being realistic while I’m over here thinking when the Troll armor comes out and it’s tribal/barely there, nobody will complain because some how that will make sense all of a sudden.

That's called hypocrisy
11/13/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Syrune
I honestly can't see how it can't make sense for a race that lives in trees, that relies on movement let alone stealth in combat.
More skimpy armor for all i say. Fantasy armor is suppose to be flashy and impractical because its a game.

Xmog exists to allow for player choice the larger the variety the better.
bikini armor is not very PC, cant say that im surprised. Warden armor would be a cool second place option
I'm usually in moonkin or cat form anyway, don't even wear pants.
11/13/2018 06:00 PMPosted by Ilgalyethis
I'm usually in moonkin or cat form anyway, don't even wear pants.

Lettin ya balls hang free. Just look at em there, around your neck. Shameful.
Friendly reminder that the set in question was NEVER some new HD BfA model. I don't know if it used something from Cata as a base model or not (potentially something that never made it into the game?), but it's quality is about where we were back then, at best. It was bad, but good enough for NPCs no one would look at too closely for more than a few seconds.

I, for one, would have been very annoyed to see that shoehorned in as the Night Elf heritage armor.

If that's truly what you want, then make your arguments for creating something reminiscent of that model, like the source says. Something built from the ground up would be infinitely better.

That said, I wouldn't mind them throwing the existing set in somewhere as just a regular, non-heritage, set, but with it's low standard of quality it would have to be put somewhere that won't make people think poorly of BfA. Maybe Darkmoon Faire or something. Or just a gold sink vendor somewhere since it might be out of place as a race-restricted armor set in DMF.
I do hope our voices are heard and they design the Heritage armor around that lovely Rawhide Bikini... It's actually like the first armor in the game that really says "Night Elf"... well the only one that doesn't also have a specific class tied to it as well... All existing "Night Elf" armors also just scream "Hunter" or "Druid"... The Darkshore Night Elf armor however feels at home on any class.
11/13/2018 06:04 PMPosted by Vaenaru
Friendly reminder that the set in question was NEVER some new HD BfA model. I don't know if it used something from Cata as a base model or not (potentially something that never made it into the game?), but it's quality is about where we were back then, at best. It was bad, but good enough for NPCs no one would look at too closely for more than a few seconds.

I, for one, would have been very annoyed to see that shoehorned in as the Night Elf heritage armor.

If that's truly what you want, then make your arguments for creating something reminiscent of that model, like the source says. Something built from the ground up would be infinitely better.

That said, I wouldn't mind them throwing the existing set in somewhere as just a regular, non-heritage, set, but with it's low standard of quality it would have to be put somewhere that won't make people think poorly of BfA. Maybe Darkmoon Faire or something. Or just a gold sink vendor somewhere since it might be out of place as a race-restricted armor set in DMF.

Yeah, umm, that armor is what is shown in the FIRST WoW cinematic, so it's not just some "shoehorned" armor set. Quit making up stuff you know nothing about.
11/13/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Jeolene
Yeah, umm, that armor is what is shown in the FIRST WoW cinematic, so it's not just some "shoehorned" armor set. Quit making up stuff you know nothing about.

Shoehorned in meaning that I don't want to see Blizzard get lazy and throw in the exact set we saw on the NPCs in-game as the NE heritage armor because of people begging for it. It lacks quality and I don't want that to be a rushed decision to appease people like you and deprive us of a set that's actually well made.

I'm not saying it's not a good representation of how Night Elves were originally depicted. Because it is.

Quit applying my words to a context I never provided to make your point.