Acti-Blizz's stock is still plummeting

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 13 Next
I wonder, is it just GD .. or do most video game forums have fans eager and hopeful to see their thing doing badly?
11/14/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Snowfox
I wonder, is it just GD .. or do most video game forums have fans eager and hopeful to see their thing doing badly?

I would say it's most video game forums. I've seen it in quite a few over the years, starting with UO.

EDIT: I'm sure this was a rhetorical question. I just happened to have a non-rhetorical answer.

When they only listen to their stocks, when their investors start angry calling them, that's the only thing they will listen to.

It's not just out of karmic sadism, it is because when things go bad for them, that is incentive to change and treat their customers better.
11/14/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Cokie
11/14/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Uunruk
ATVI stock is volatile right now because NASDAQ stocks in general are volatile right now. In fact, the entire stock market has been volatile for a couple of months now.

And the fact the company as a whole has lost 100 million MAU's in the past year.

Well, if you are going to be precise, it was actually 70 million more or less, not 100.

447M MAUs in the 4th quarter of 2017
385M MAUs in the 4th quarter of 2018

That is certainly a drop of fairly decent numbers and its probably one of the reasons they are putting out new content and turning their focus towards App games, which can generate a lot more MAUs.
Just got a Gamestop add for the switch, it is bundled with....wait for it....Diablo 3. Lol. "Get it while supplies last". LOLZ. Wonder what Blizz had to do to get this to pump out for xmas? The comments are being pretty hard on Blizz in the Gamestop forums too. Maybe Blizz might learn something here.....the community that made you what you are has a voice....it is the wallet and social media. Good luck in the coming months Blizz....those stocks don't come up right after Black Friday the board is going to shake you really, really hard.

For someone on the forums a lot....and I mean a lot you just do not seem to get it. Some of us have nothing but love for the game. That is, when the game was still entertaining. I do not want Blizz to fail, I want them to wake the F up and realize that they can either go back to some MMORPG roots and make people happy or they can keep going down the RNG, queuefest, achieve everything stupidity road that they are going traveling on now.

If taking a hit on Wallstreet will be the proverbial bonk on the head than so be it....at least them I will know that they are at least listening to somebody since it isn't us anymore.

GD has always cheered for WoW to fail. From BG's to expansions, everything was negative to GD.
11/14/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Jelybeantoes
11/14/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Amine
What is mostly causing the drop though has very little or nothing to do with WoW, so it really is silly to keep spamming this stuff on this forum.

What is mostly causing the drop is that they seem to have the same tone-deafness issue across all ip's.

What you think in your head doesn't make it fact you know.
11/14/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Emt
Just got a Gamestop add for the switch, it is bundled with....wait for it....Diablo 3. Lol. "Get it while supplies last". LOLZ. Wonder what Blizz had to do to get this to pump out for xmas? The comments are being pretty hard on Blizz in the Gamestop forums too. Maybe Blizz might learn something here.....the community that made you what you are has a voice....it is the wallet and social media. Good luck in the coming months Blizz....those stocks don't come up right after Black Friday the board is going to shake you really, really hard.

I have the original Diablo for PS1, so it's not like Diablo being on a console is something weird and unheard of.
11/14/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Brahmina
11/14/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Uunruk
Warren Buffett sits in his dining room, enjoying a soft-boiled egg, toast and coffee while perusing online news articles. One of the articles mentions World of Warcraft's release of a game expansion. While he is certainly no gamer, it piques his interest, so he types "world of warcraft" in his browser and clicks on the first result that pops up, which happens to be the Forums.

He begins reading what the players are saying about the new expansion, and as he continues to read, a roiling panic begins to well in his mind. The vitriol and bile spewed forth by the player base becomes too much, and he slams the laptop closed, almost forcefully enough to break it. He reaches for his cell phone, opens up his contacts and presses the first one on the list.

"Bob... yeah it's me, Warren. I want you to sell all of my stock in ATVI now. The player base is insane, and I want no part of it. Sell every single... yes, I'm aware that selling all of those shares will cause a huge drop in its value. I don't care. I want it gone... NOW!"

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the stock is down.

Trust me.
Honestly, this is more believable than the folks claiming it's because of BfA and the Diablo fiasco.

Trouble is it is highly unlikely Warren Buffet ever invested in ATVI or any game company for that matter since they aren't his types of companies.

11/14/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Alfgerðr
11/14/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Amine

What is mostly causing the drop though has very little or nothing to do with WoW, so it really is silly to keep spamming this stuff on this forum.

prove it

I asked for proof first that is was related and no one had any proof of that so by default I am right ;).
Back to the originalsubject;
ACTI continues to drop, down from a high if 78 only a month ago.
NOt looking good for the home team
11/14/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Deathage
Burn baby burn.

At first I’m a little sad.

But we’ve tried telling them, we watched as 4K replies of feedback from the beta was blatantly ignored

We watched as class feedback was ignored, were told reworked were coming in 8.1, and those “reworks” were not really reworks at all

There comes a time when you give up, this is the game where I couldn’t go a second without thinking about (back in 08)

You’re terrible Blizzard, good job.
11/14/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Djarro
Since most of the fall off has more to do with disappointing CoD & Destiny 2 performance - why don't you go spam this stuff on their forums? (what the real analyst reports actually discuss)

Actually, this decline has been over multiple items. It started in October with the stock at an all time high of ~~ $84 per share (not going to go out and find out exact times or prices as specifics are not germane to the conversation and I'm not doing that legwork that you can do on your own from publicly and freely available information) CoD BlkOps4 first day sales does ~ $500M which is $50M shy of where they expected to be and inline with CoD BlkOps3.

Just prior to this in August the overall market dropped low enough in a session (before recovering) to end up in correction territory. VX went up (Market's so called fear index but basically a measure of the DJIA Volatility).

This put pressure on Tech and Entertainment Stocks across the board but Blizz kept outperforming until October.

Then Investors and analysts started to pull back on their ATVI positions taking a little profit here and there and the stock inevitably slid downward. Slid down about $15 per share to ~ $68. No real worries because Blizzcon was coming and a new game announcement surely was in the offing right? Well there was one of course and when the markets opened the Monday following a weekend of News of On Stage Calamity at Blizzcon, Diablo Players who held ATVI, Analysts and Newsies had been speaking about it a while. Lot of ATVI holders dumped their stock.

ATVI opened and fell 7.2% in two hours of trading. It recovered and closed down 6.83%. Tuesday and Wednesday were down but essentially flat. Thursday also was not particularly noteable until 4:35pm EST. This was about even with Brian Nowak's question at the earnings call about Diablo and the timing around D:I and the afterhours trading fell off a cliff by 15%. 15% in ten minutes, where it then stayed flat until market open on Friday. All of this on the news of lowered MAU's for 3 straight quarters soft guidance for the rest of the year and no growth in sales and a small $0.02 beat on earnings combined with the D:I fiasco.

ATVI Opened down at $54.80 per share on Friday. It basically swung between $53.50 (a 52 week low) and $56.70 closing out at $53.89

The following open on Monday of this week saw it slide a further 3% or so. and it is currently sitting at $51.60 after being as low as $51.37 this morning.

The word on the street so far is that D:I alone did not cause this but the earnings call, the reports and the feeling that ActivisionBlizzard is making a foray into a market that has higher than normal risks associated with it while at the same time losing touch with their core strengths combined caused the selloff.

In other words pursuing $$$ instead of pursuit of a quality product that can earn $$$ is what caused investors to shy away.

The bears of ATVI of course have a field day with it. I still see some downside yet and would feel comfortable getting a long position back at say $45-ish which is really where it belongs based on earnings this year.

It was overvalued and it had a couple of weak fundamentals. It will start earning again but it may also have the unintended consequence of teaching the executives at ActivisionBlizzard enough humility to refocus them on quality and quantity rather than quantity alone. The latter might make for great near term gains but makes for crappy long term growth.
11/14/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Brahmina
...Honestly, this is more believable than the folks claiming it's because of BfA and the Diablo fiasco.

Trouble is it is highly unlikely Warren Buffet ever invested in ATVI or any game company for that matter since they aren't his types of companies.

11/14/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Alfgerðr
prove it

I asked for proof first that is was related and no one had any proof of that so by default I am right ;).

...and I askedfor proof from you some pages ago so im right too dso there
11/14/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Oimate
why would it go up? It will stabilize and once they announce the next big thing it will go up again.

Ummm...They Announced the next big thing Friday November 2nd 2018...It had the opposite effect of what they had intended I believe...

Or don't you have a phone?
11/14/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Merridae
The word on the street so far is that D:I alone did not cause this but the earnings call, the reports and the feeling that ActivisionBlizzard is making a foray into a market that has higher than normal risks associated with it while at the same time losing touch with their core strengths combined caused the selloff.

In other words pursuing $$$ instead of pursuit of a quality product that can earn $$$ is what caused investors to shy away.
Sounds about right, to be honest.
The problem is the nature of the investors. They aren’t investing in the company to invest in the company, they’re investing in it to flip it. Treating the company like a commodity instead of a company.

For the stock to go up, profits have to be increased. For profits to increase, products need to cost the company more and pull in more revenue.

This, they are constantly cutting corners on content to save costs, and trying to make what’s left pull in more and more revenue.

To the point that most everything is recycled and designed for endless repetition. They’ve reached the point where, in order to increase profits, they need to put in nothing and get back everything. It’s impossible.

This is why the switch to mobile. Cheaper to produce, higher potential rewards (though greater risk, which investors are starting to clue into).

They’re making tons of profit. But those profits are relatively stable. And the investors only care about the rate of increase. So even f they have a “most profitable quarter ever” as EA did not too long ago, that doesn’t matter. The rate of increase is going down. Which means the investors aren’t making as much as they want to.

If we actually had people interested in INVESTING in the company, it would be fine.
i love Blizzard Doom sayers, its like you people think they are sitting around their office going

"oh crap guys we lost so many players we should just do what the handful of people on the forums want and maybe it will be better"

all these complaints yet people are subbed

more over its like you think things will change drastically because of these news sites,

is it 'cool points' you dorks are looking for? like as soon as you point out what is wrong you stand back like nelson from simpsons and laugh

either get in the tech forums and give feedback or just quit, i seriously don't understand people that hate something so much they stick around

i've been playing this game since beta and i am not complaining, sometimes its fun sometimes its not, and when it isnt i leave for a few months until i see changes i like,

however coming on the forums and whining like a bunch of millenials that had their haircut taken away isnt helping
11/14/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/14/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Astraela

And what's your problem with this? Any paying customer has the right to "bash" (within the ToS) the product they pay for.

Sure, but it's a little sleazy when they try to hide that's what they are doing.

The op was presented as "oh I'm just reporting this"... at least until they later admitted this was just a bash-wow thread.

So sure, you have a right to post threads just bashing wow (I think, you might not actually have that right).. and others have a right to post counter to that, as I did.

It's no sleazier than continually trying to hush players who point out questionable business practices which may be contributing to the drastically dropping value for stocks you personally own.
11/14/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Kailassa
11/14/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Snowfox
Sure, but it's a little sleazy when they try to hide that's what they are doing.

The op was presented as "oh I'm just reporting this"... at least until they later admitted this was just a bash-wow thread.

So sure, you have a right to post threads just bashing wow (I think, you might not actually have that right).. and others have a right to post counter to that, as I did.

It's no sleazier than continually trying to hush players who point out questionable business practices which may be contributing to the drastically dropping value for stocks you personally own.

lol, I love the stalkerish vibe to that one.. but..

How does that work, where I'm trying to drop the value of stocks I own?

I admit I'm not a stock broker, so you'll need to explain how that helps me.