Question about Dwarven Shaman + names?

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Hey guys! So I recently made my first ever dwarf character. She's a shaman, and I imagine her as being part of Clan Bronzebeard, having learned from the ways of the Wildhammer dwarves.

My initial question is pretty basic, but searching didn't really come forth with a direct answer. Like, I know dwarves have their clans. The three I know of are the Dark Iron, Wildhammer, and Bronzebeard. However, how does their clan relate to their surname? Is their surname completely unrelated to their clan? Example: Can my dwarf have the last name, I dunno, Steelarm, and be a part of a clan without having the last name matching her clan?

Also, bonus question! How does shamanism work in regard to dwarves? I remember reading a short excerpt about Thrall learning about shamanism from (I think, my orc lore is beyond rusty) Drek'var, and the premise was that orcs ask the elements for their blessings and keep the balance between the warring elements. What about dwarves? Are dwarven shaman basically the same? Bring balance to the warring elements and ask for their power in times of crisis?

What do they do outside of combat? Just chill and talk to the elements/meditate?

Thanks!
1) Their clan name does not relate to their family names. The Bronzebeard brothers are the only family known to use that name. But they're also royalty descended from the founders of the Bronzebeard clan centuries ago. The Wildhammer have a similar deal such as with Kurdran, but the Dark Irons don't.

A clan is more like their nationality, rather than their direct family. The clans are made up of many many different families all united under the same banner. So everyone is going to have a wide variety of different names.

For dwarf surnames typically they have one family name. In some cases though I don't think it's too odd for a dwarf to change their name to reflect their personal accomplishments. But normally they value their heritage highly.

So yes you could be named Steelarm as an example. That would be your family's or personal name, but you'd still identify as a member of the Bronzebeard clan.

2) Maintaining balance is something nearly all shaman do. It just comes with the job. They're conduits between the elements and the normal races, as well as protectors and guides. The elemental spirits are usually willing to help if you aren't abusing them.

Outside of combat shaman are pretty much normal people. They do meditate and commune with the spirits to help their people as needed. But it doesn't entirely define who you are. You can still have a social life and other hobbies, and interact with others as any normal person would. Whatever your personality may be like.

Being a shaman is just one facet of your character. An important one, but not the only one. So it's very open ended and you have a lot of free reign to expand on her further.
Aye if it be dwarven shaman ye be after then you've come ta the right place. Doseki Wildhammer at yer service for all things Dwarven Shaman.

The Wee lass is on the right track but there seem ta be a few miss conceptions. While it is true we know of the three main clans o' dwarves. Them being the Bronzebeard, Wildhammer, and Dark Iron, they are more than just a "Nationality". Calling a Dwarf by their first name and then their clan is equally as correct as using whatever sir name they chose or earned for themselves.

That is something else. While there are smaller family "clans" within any of the three main branches, they are all still family and closely related. Think of 'em like second cousins more so than siblings. The smaller families get their name from their triarch. Or in other words they be direct descendants of one lad/lass 'r another whom earned a name. It be like calling someone "son" or "Daughter" of "Somebody". The name brings notoriety.

If ye been needin' more proof ye need look no further than our very own High Thane Falstad Wildhammer. Or what those in the know call him Falstad Dragonreaver. The dwarf goes by either name if ye believe the Wowpedia article on the lad.

Your dwarf's name can be earned 'r given. The choice is yours Really.

As to your second question... The lass above me is once again on the right track. Shaman are spiritual leaders and healers of their respective clan, tribe, or people in general. While the in-game depiction relies heavily on elementals it is only one facet of the class. You don't stop being a shaman once the battle is over. This is because the roles shaman play far exceed that of battle. This does not mean shaman are not normal people. Only that they have a special gift others do not.

Shaman be on par wit' both Priests and Druids in not only their roles but in their abilities as well. Shaman walk a thin line through life and the more powerful they are the thinner that line becomes. On Azeroth shaman maintain balance with the elemental spirits due to their unrest, but they must also maintain a balance within themselves.

Empowered Rune:
Know this: a shaman must never demand power; to do so would arouse the anger of the elements, and a shaman without the elements' protection is nothing. Those that follow the path of the shaman must never forget this most vital tenet.

However, a shaman that works in a respectful union with the elements wields a power rivaled by few. If you feel you have the humility to do so, come visit me in Anvilmar. I will teach you - much like I myself was taught - how to work with the elments of fire, earth, wind, water, and the wild.
~Teo Hammerstorm
Teo Hammerstorm:
These are dark days, friend. Look around you... even here in remote Coldridge, the sprits are rebelling. The land is crying out for help. Yet still, even in times such as these, the spirits will always turn an ear to those who ask for their assistance.
Excellent! Let us begin.
The first skill you will learn is that of the Primal Strike. The primal spirits, when called upon, will strengthen your arm to deliver a mighty blow.
Helpful, isn't it?

There are versions on the Horde side as well that delve deeper into the art of being a shaman. Many starting out don't read the provided quest item and simply run to their trainer to turn in the quest. It is a shame as there is a great deal of wisdom to be had there.

It is not only the elemental spirits the shaman commune with but all spirits, both young and ancient. Your people's ancestors may call to you from beyond to provide strength and wisdom of their years of life. This is equally as true of Wildhammer Dwarf shaman as it is for Tauren, Orcs, and I suppose even Trolls.

We Shaman are spiritual guides first and foremost. It doesn't matter who or what that spirit takes the form of. It could be the very land we walk upon crying out for aid, or the river that stopped flowing. Even still it could be your grandfather's grandfather whom forewarns of a coming disaster that they themselves dealt with in their day.
A

Empowered Rune:
Know this: a shaman must never demand power; to do so would arouse the anger of the elements, and a shaman without the elements' protection is nothing. Those that follow the path of the shaman must never forget this most vital tenet.

However, a shaman that works in a respectful union with the elements wields a power rivaled by few. If you feel you have the humility to do so, come visit me in Anvilmar. I will teach you - much like I myself was taught - how to work with the elments of fire, earth, wind, water, and the wild.

Not always true. Ner'zhul for instance was known to have always commanded the elements, pretty much co'ercing them to obey and he did this for a fairly long time. He's not known to have lost his command of the Elements before he started taking calls from dark masters.

So that rule may be subject to bending on individual cases, especially shamans with a great deal of personal charisma such as Ner'zhul was known to have being one of the rare shamans who was also a Clan leader in his own right.

So the Elements may yield to demands from those they perceive as strong shaman, but those who travel that path must beware that at the first sign of weakness, such a shaman may find his power deserting them when it is needed most.
10/26/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Natala
Not always true. Ner'zhul for instance was known to have always commanded the elements, pretty much co'ercing them to obey and he did this for a fairly long time.
No, Ner'zhul had a rather normal relationship with the elements of Draenor until they abandoned the orcish people after the red pox outbreak.

10/26/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Natala
He's not known to have lost his command of the Elements before he started taking calls from dark masters.
This is also untrue. The reason he went into despair was because he lost favor with the elements and his ancestors. It was actually a huge driving point for why he formed the Horde in the first place; Kil'jaeden, under the guise of his deceased wife Rulkan, told him that to appease the elements and gain their favor once more, he had to rid Draenor of the draenei.