How is Stratholme still burning?

Story Forum

At the time I did the quest, back in BC, it was the only way to do it that I know of.
And at the time I did it, it contradicted it. Now both are removed, and Aurius is right where he died. The combination of the Alliance and Horde Charger quests, and Aurius's part in the original Rivendare boss, are all likely used in part for selective canon.

Yeah, that sounds like the only option. To many things tied to one spot so there isnt a real way to untangle it.
Think of Stratholme as basically one massive city-sized haunt. The flames are part of that haunting.
10/22/2018 03:20 AMPosted by Grandblade
Blood Knights get the charger regardless following this, and both the Alliance Paladin Charger Quest AND Aurius's assistance in battling Baron Rivendare in Vanilla Stratholme contradict it. Perhaps parts of it are canon, but not the whole thing

We never actually got confirmation that Aurius succumbed to his wounds, he just said he would.

Lilian said something similar in Scholomance, and we know that didn't happen either.

It's entirely possible he did end up surviving those wounds only to die to the Blood Knights later.
10/22/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Ximothy
We never actually got confirmation that Aurius succumbed to his wounds, he just said he would.

Lilian said something similar in Scholomance, and we know that didn't happen either.

It's entirely possible he did end up surviving those wounds only to die to the Blood Knights later.
Considering he shows up in the Slaughterhouse as a Death Knight, and the Brotherhood of the Light utilizes his chapel - protected by the holy flame Blood Knights extinguish - I'd say that him getting gutted by his father is his canon death.
10/22/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Grandblade
Considering he shows up in the Slaughterhouse as a Death Knight

I don't think undead are bound to the location they die in. What's to stop him just moving in?

and the Brotherhood of the Light utilizes his chapel - protected by the holy flame Blood Knights extinguish

The Eternal Flame is gone though. It's model was removed in the Cata version of Stratholme, it's not there anymore.

I'd say that him getting gutted by his father is his canon death

But that's what I'm saying- he never actually died. He just said he was going to.

Aurius could've just been wrong about the severity of his injuries and survived. Wouldn't be the only time in WoW either.
Same reason why Sentinel Hill is still on fire.
10/22/2018 04:37 PMPosted by Arlifrex
Same reason why Sentinel Hill is still on fire.

Well, we've actually seen Sentinel Hill since it was set on fire.

During the Legion pre-event, it wasn't on fire anymore. It was raining demons, so you know, it still had problems.

But we know they at least managed to put the fires out. Stratholme is still burning as of Legion.
If zombies never die they'll always be on fire
10/22/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Mangypelt
If zombies never die they'll always be on fire
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/selectall/2017/02/09/09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg
Magic.

Same way it's still Scourge infested despite the Silver Hand regularly cleaning it out. Necromancy is hard to keep down.
How is Hogger still alive and terrorizing Elwynn forest?
10/22/2018 11:28 PMPosted by Shadestalkër
How is Hogger still alive and terrorizing Elwynn forest?
You assume a mere mortal could fell him.
Forever curse. Like spirits forever haunting ruins except in Stratholme's case the spirits manifest into both undead and forever flames; I actually kind of like it like this, really cements Arthas's Culling as a world-changing event.
It's cursed to burn forever. Something Arthas did as a result of purging Stratholme, or the Dreadlord that occupied it.

It's mentioned in the comics. The fire that burns Stratholme should've gone out long ago. It's not a natural fire.

"No fire should have burned this long." was the official term, I think? I could be wrong, I'll go digging for the slide, if someone wants it.
10/23/2018 01:32 AMPosted by Gladwell
It's cursed to burn forever. Something Arthas did as a result of purging Stratholme, or the Dreadlord that occupied it.

It's mentioned in the comics. The fire that burns Stratholme should've gone out long ago. It's not a natural fire.

"No fire should have burned this long." was the official term, I think? I could be wrong, I'll go digging for the slide, if someone wants it.

if blizzard had the balls to expand it, they would say that the Old and unused Black Citadel model is still there, cloaked and floating above the city, making sure that the city will continue burning forever as the cult of the damned continue studying necromancy.
10/23/2018 05:52 AMPosted by Diomades

if blizzard had the balls to expand it, they would say that the Old and unused Black Citadel model is still there, cloaked and floating above the city, making sure that the city will continue burning forever as the cult of the damned continue studying necromancy.

TBH it fits the Dark World Trope if that citadel isn't an acting free unit, but actually part of the haunting as well.
10/22/2018 03:47 AMPosted by Grandblade
10/22/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Galenar

Only if when they call us in they greet us with "Glad you could make it <name>. Heh, sorry, couldn't resist."
Watch your tone with me, Arthas. You may be Arthas, but I'm still your superior as Arthas.

This entire thread must be purged
10/23/2018 05:52 AMPosted by Diomades

That was Naxxramas, and it moved to Northrend during the Wrath expansion. There was a plan to have an entrance from one of the end rooms of Stratholme that would have taken you there but it was never implemented.
The amount of potential for the Eastern Plaguelands is huge. Easily one of my favorite zones just because of all the ways it can go. I was happy when they did their update to it, it was cool at the time to see the Argent Crusade take on the continued mission of the Argent Dawn. Not that they were different in anyway but sometimes places just get abandoned after something else comes up.

The zone is just massive too compared to a lot of the others. There is the entire DK area thats not even used. That patch of land just to the northwest of the zone. All of Strathholme either as an instance or opened up.

Argents, Scarlets, Scourge, Forsaken, Amani, Blood Elves, the Ebon Blade (I guess), all have some sort of stake in the area. It really needs more love.
10/22/2018 03:47 AMPosted by Grandblade
10/22/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Galenar

Only if when they call us in they greet us with "Glad you could make it <name>. Heh, sorry, couldn't resist."
Watch your tone with me, Arthas. You may be Arthas, but I'm still your superior as Arthas.

As if I could forget. Listen, Uther, there's something about the plague you should know.....

Oh, no. We're too late these people have all been infected. They may look fine now, but it's only a matter of time before they turn into the undead!