Upcoming Shadow Priest Changes

Priest
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
Wow, color me impressed. They actually went even further than I was hoping.

Is it going to be void torrent over bender now? That buff looks huge.
Well yeah the baseline spells might be reduces a tiny bit to compensate but that's a good thing. I don't understand people that complain about not hitting hard outside of voidform. Why do you actually want voidform to feel "meh"? The whole reason voidform was fun when it was introduced was that you were excited about how much you were about to destroy stuff and then maintaining it was always exciting. It was my favorite spec in legion by far.
10/22/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Malyx

Void Form damage is doubled on top of being in Void Form longer. Want to remind you that optimal raid duration is 70% uptime live. This is a MASSIVE Buff. ill be extremely surprised if shadow isnt nerfed to compensate.

Void form damage is not doubled. The bonus damage we deal is going from 10% to 20%, which is a 10% increase and not a 100% increase.

Shadow Form gives a 10% damage buff, and we lose shadow form while going into void form so that must be considered as well.
I was hoping for changes that improved the feel of shadow more than I was a numbers buff. Was really hoping Death would be baseline again. The dispersion heal talent would be a really nice change if it wasn't competing with our only movement speed increase. Feels more like pvp changes than pve which is unfortunate.
10/22/2018 07:30 PMPosted by Gravus
https://www.wowhead.com/news=288094/upcoming-shadow-priest-changes-in-8-1?webhook/upcoming-shadow-priest-changes-in-8-1

Thoughts?
Quality changes, but I was wishfully expecting more than just tuning. We're still don't bring any really desired utility.

If we are in VF longer our eruption damage is going to be hit. Hopefully it evens out.
So it took them from BFA-Prepatch for this? This is what we waited for when they said they were reworking shadow and elemental? Call me ungrateful but numbers tweaks like that arent enough to revive shadow from the grave blizzard dug it. Where is void eruption usability outside of voidform to prevent people dropping out repeatedly to use it? where is anything to prevent mind blast / void bolt overlapping to revive the level 15 talent line? where is a usable dispersion without sacrificing our only mobility? where is shadow word: death? Also most importantly can we have a niche back yet?
I was really, really hoping for a rework of voidform or a shelving of it. These changes sure look like they'll make Shadow stronger but I'm not seeing it becoming more fun (for PvE).

Voidbolt/mindblast still clash with each other cause of lined up cds, rotation is still boring/repetitive 3 buttons with no procs or anything to watch for, dot refreshes are still awkward with voidform, movement/mechanics are still too punishing (and this will make losing voidform early even more punishing), still so awkward and feelsbad in world content/dungeons when things die right after you pop voidform and you're running around draining fast questioning your life choices, swd, etc.

Also this just makes shadow priest aoe worse/counterintuitive if voidform is going to last longer and still all aoe damage is in void eruption (which makes you want to leave voidform to aoe).

Void Torrent, s2m and other talent changes look decent and Hallucinations is a big plus, so at least there's that. Ultimately though nothing really changed it just does what it does better and still has all it's same antifun problems. Meh, I just hate the drain mechanic so I guess this isn't the spec for me anymore. O well, shelving priest again. Hope one day voidform will go back to the void but that seems a distant hope now.
They were never going to remove or change how voidform worked in the middle of an expansion, if you were holding out hope for that that’s on you
Also interesting to note, the Hallucinations being passive indicates a replacement talent? Or do we just lose that talent slot?
10/22/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Xetka
Void form damage is not doubled. The bonus damage we deal is going from 10% to 20%, which is a 10% increase and not a 100% increase.

Yes thats what i meant the buff was doubled not the actual form obviously
10/22/2018 09:19 PMPosted by Slimeseason
They were never going to remove or change how voidform worked in the middle of an expansion, if you were holding out hope for that that’s on you

I mean they said themselves during beta these changes were delayed till 8.1, so really this is the end product of the expansion revision to the spec more than "middle of an expansion".
Spriest is gonna be some op crap in pvp

Fair to say, already unsubbed so wishing the best for you guys and hopes it works out for you eventually.

10/22/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Mageno
I mean they said themselves during beta these changes were delayed till 8.1, so really this is the end product of the expansion revision to the spec more than "middle of an expansion".

These changes are so smallt hat i question why they were delayed for so long. To be perfectly honest with you the Feral changes that were patched in near the beginning of the xpac were bigger.
10/22/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Ruenara
10/22/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Khastiel
You are getting buffed too far just like enhance did. Blizzard will then nerf you to worse than what you are now.

They do this all the time.
I know right, with these buffs we'll do almost as much damage as an affliction lock and bring less utility... clearly in the imminent nerf zone.

Less Utility? Use your brain......

MC, MD, Purge, Stun, Fear, Silence, Grip, and Swap........ Spriest has arguably the best utility of any class.
so 50% damage reduction with edge of insanity now? that's going to be fun.
10/22/2018 08:55 PMPosted by Xaestra
So it took them from BFA-Prepatch for this? This is what we waited for when they said they were reworking shadow and elemental? Call me ungrateful but numbers tweaks like that arent enough to revive shadow from the grave blizzard dug it. Where is void eruption usability outside of voidform to prevent people dropping out repeatedly to use it? where is anything to prevent mind blast / void bolt overlapping to revive the level 15 talent line? where is a usable dispersion without sacrificing our only mobility? where is shadow word: death? Also most importantly can we have a niche back yet?

Legitimately not trying to troll here, but did you really expect something incredible? This is the same group of developers who boasted repeatedly about having the most number of people ever currently working on the game yet still released an expansion that the GD admitted was unfinished. Shaman, spriest, etc. still seem to be in the alpha stage and this might move them to the beta. Speaking as someone who played a spec that got no love in Legion or a meaningful post for over 18 months, I'd say be thankful (not necessarily happy) that they bothered to touch shadow at all.
I'm optimistic about the increase in our damage output.

But I have to say I'm quite disappointed that they didn't look further into reworking some of the other talents. I'm fairly certain even with the buffs to level 90 talents, Mindbender will still be the go to for PvE.
It's on us for believing them when they said they couldn't finish the end of expansion rework in time and were pushing it back to 8.1? I mean... you were clearly right... I suppose I was just irrationally optimistic thinking "like an end of expansion rework" didn't actually mean "some number tweaks and intern could have done months ago."
Really hope it come with animation overhauls for our dots. I'm jealous locks dots have spell effects on the target, but SW:P etc. has no effect on the enemy.
10/22/2018 09:37 PMPosted by Trapdancing
10/22/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Ruenara
...I know right, with these buffs we'll do almost as much damage as an affliction lock and bring less utility... clearly in the imminent nerf zone.

Less Utility? Use your brain......

MC, MD, Purge, Stun, Fear, Silence, Grip, and Swap........ Spriest has arguably the best utility of any class.

What hax do you have to have access to all of those talents at once as Shadow?

Also, who in their right mind says "SHADOWPRIEST WE NEED YOU TO MC THIS TARGET"